Ancient Humans On Venus

herme3

I've heard several people say that they believe there used to be humans on Venus, millions of years before they were on Earth. Scientists have said that Venus was once very similar to Earth, and probably had oxygen and oceans. I found an article that talks about some of this here: http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/venus_life_040826.html

Some scientists say that ancient humans lived on Venus that were more technologically advanced than us. However, pollution and possibly a nuclear war has left Venus in its current state.

Does this sound possible?

Some scientists say that ancient humans lived on Venus that were more technologically advanced than us. However' date=' pollution and possibly a nuclear war has left Venus in its current state.

Does this sound possible?[/quote']

Nah, they all just shopped till they literally dropped and so causing a mass extinction. ;)

The one striking piece of evidence against this is that modern homosapiens are no more than 200,000 years old. I suppose you could go back a few million years to times when a more primative form of "man" was walking the Earth, but I don't know how you could consider them to be "technologically advanced".

I've heard several people say that they believe there used to be humans on Venus' date=' millions of years before they were on Earth. Scientists have said that Venus was once very similar to Earth, and probably had oxygen and oceans. I found an article that talks about some of this here: http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/venus_life_040826.html

Some scientists say that ancient humans lived on Venus that were more technologically advanced than us. However, pollution and possibly a nuclear war has left Venus in its current state.

Does this sound possible?[/quote']

I doubt scientists said such a thing. They might have wondered or speculated. But there isn't a shred of evidence that there has ever been anything alive on Venus. Granted there is a lot about the planet that we dont know, but for there to be not only life, and not only intelligent life, but humans that had lived on earth? No chance.

Well it sounds extremely unlikely' date=' no matter how cool it would be if it were true.

DWB

------------------------------------------

DWB's Blog http://disgruntledwogbeast.blogspot.com/[/quote']

Add a couple of "very"'s in front of that and you'd be close :)

Its almost impossible, unless you had some ort of technology that could block some of the solar radiation. Right now Venus is covered by nasty clouds of Ammonia and Sulphuric Acid, not nice. Evidence suggests its always been that way and the preassure created by the atmosphere crushes things pretty damn fast!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I suppose you could go back a few million years to times when a more primative form of "man" was walking the Earth, but I don't know how you could consider them to be "technologically advanced".
But how would you know that??

Perhaps a billion years ago, a giant sun flare destroyed the most advanced civilization in the history of the universe.

Perhaps a billion years ago' date=' a giant sun flare destroyed the most advanced civilization in the history of the universe.[/quote']

HaHaHa, I have an idea how this could happen!

The person dematerialises due to uncertaintly and then re-materialises on Venus with an adaption that allows them to breath the "air" there!

Its about as probably as its gonna get!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Perhaps a billion years ago' date=' a giant sun flare destroyed the most advanced civilization in the history of the universe.[/quote']

Are we still talking about humans? This is the difficult part. Humans hadn't even evolved a billion years ago. If you're talking about another alien species this is already a different theory all together. And if they were so advanced, you'd think they'd have the technology to survive a trivial little sun flare. And if there was a sun flare, it would have destroyed all life on Earth as well.

I don't think anybody is understanding my first post...

The scientists that started this idea are saying that Venus was just like Earth. It had oceans, land, and breathable air. The idea is that an advanced civilization lived on Venus millions, or maybe billions of years ago. They changed the planet to the condition that it is in today. Some say it was pollution, and others say it may have been a type of nuclear or chemical war.

I don't understand why people keep bringing the theory of evolution into this topic. If human evolution happened 200,000 years ago on Earth, that doesn't mean that it took the same amount of time on Venus. If you believe in natural selection, then you should also believe that different environmental conditions on Venus could change the amount of time that it would take for an intelligent species to come into existence. If you believe in creationism, you could also believe that God created an intelligent species on Venus before Earth.

The solar system has existed for billions of years before life on Earth. I don't understand why it would be impossible for advanced life to have existed on Venus during that time.

I think this should answer your question:

Its almost impossible, unless you had some ort of technology that could block some of the solar radiation. Right now Venus is covered by nasty clouds of Ammonia and Sulphuric Acid, not nice. Evidence suggests its always been that way and the preassure created by the atmosphere crushes things pretty damn fast!

The scientists that started this idea are saying that Venus was just like Earth. It had oceans, land, and breathable air. The idea is that an advanced civilization lived on Venus millions, or maybe billions of years ago. They changed the planet to the condition that it is in today. Some say it was pollution, and others say it may have been a type of nuclear or chemical war.

And that's why this thread is in psuedoscience: because appart from the first two sentences, it's nothing but baseless speculation without a single scrap of evidence to support it.

Could it have happened? Sure. Lots of stuff *could* have happened and left not trace. But what matters is *did* it happen, and given the lack of any evidence at all, there's no reason to presume it did.

I don't understand why people keep bringing the theory of evolution into this topic. If human evolution happened 200,000 years ago on Earth, that doesn't mean that it took the same amount of time on Venus. If you believe in natural selection, then you should also believe that different environmental conditions on Venus could change the amount of time that it would take for an intelligent species to come into existence.

Well, first, life has been around for 3.8 billion years of Earth, and only became multicellular about 500 mya. For the vast majority of the history of Earth, it was all unicellular organisms. Another planet may have made the transition faster, but we have no a priori reason to expect it to.

Second, evolution isn't just governed by natural selection; there's a lot of randomness, especially in terms of surviving mass extinctions, an this can dramaticly alter what the biota of a planet looks like down the line. The chances that *anything* on another planet would resemble Earth life is tiny.

Third, intelligence isn't a definite outcome of evolution. Remember, life has been on earth 3.8 billion years, multicellular life for over 500 million, and warm-blooded life for around 250 million, yet a civilized spcies only appeared in the last 200,000 years? We're a fluke, an oddity. I'd place large sums of money on us finding plenty of planets teeming with life (when we do get out there), but few with any intelligent/civilized life.

The solar system has existed for billions of years before life on Earth. I don't understand why it would be impossible for advanced life to have existed on Venus during that time.

Impossible, no. Unsupported speculation, yes.

Mokele