Pyrotechnic Chemist - Qualifications needed?

RyanJ

Pyrochenic Chemist - Qualifications needed?

Hi there everyone!

Me and a friend were talking about pyrochemistry in chem class today, I was wondering what type of qualifications do you need to be one?

I suppose you'd need to be certified safe to handle the stuss adn to work with it and also what type of lisances does this require?

Thanks for the help!

Ryan Jones

Sorry! the title should have had pyrotechnic chemist!

I`ve changed the thread title for you, I expect One of the qualifications needed would be Spelling Skills :P

Umm... I'm in trouble then :eek:;)

My spelling is quite bad a lot of the time.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

actualy, I was only half kidding, you see you`ll need good general qualifications in Chemistry for sure, but to support this you`ll need your basic Core quals also in order to go to university.

Pyrotechnics mainly splits into 2 fields also, the Chemical side (compositions etc...) and the Physics side (employing these compositions correctly for a desired effect).

alot of the well known Famous Pyro companies are Family owned and run also, often with recipes that go back 100 years or more, they might be a little harder to get into! :)

I know there are a few maufacturers in the UK, Huddersfield has a few, it might be worth getting their address and writing off to them asking this exact same question :)

<use a spell checker before posting it though!>

actualy' date=' I was only half kidding, you see you`ll need good general qualifications in Chemistry for sure, but to support this you`ll need your basic Core quals also in order to go to university.

Pyrotechnics mainly splits into 2 fields also, the Chemical side (compositions etc...) and the Physics side (employing these compositions correctly for a desired effect).

alot of the well known Famous Pyro companies are Family owned and run also, often with recipes that go back 100 years or more, they might be a little harder to get into! :)

I know there are a few maufacturers in the UK, Huddersfield has a few, it might be worth getting their address and writing off to them asking this exact same question :)

<use a spell checker before posting it though!>[/quote']

Thanks YT2095! I'll see if I cna get thier address so I cna write to them :)

As for a spell checker I will ;) Its even harder right no because I'm layig diwn after hurting my back last night :eek:

the top 2 are Known manufacturers' date=' although I`m suprised not to see Standard Fireworks listed there?[/quote']

Same here, this country is paranoid everyone that has chemicals in their house are intent on blowing something up :(

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

everybody has chemicals able to form explosives in there house. its just a matter of mixing the right ones together in the right amounts

Yup, I know - I know you can make some pretty poweful ones too but lets not go down that road :)

I know you'll probably need some sort of lisance to make them (legally) and another to use tham, thats about as much as I know. I also prefume you'd need a qualification to even get those certifications - anyone know what they are or could be?

In the meantime I'm gonna try and contact a pyrotechnics company and ask them about it. They should answer the questions as long as I don't go along the liunes of how to make explosives which I had no intention to do anyway :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

If I remember right' date=' aren't there some certification tests a person can take?

I know with enough electronic experience there are some tests you can take which show you know more than the college students who never get hands on experience.[/quote']

Probably, most dangerous things have these kinds of tests. Then you'll need a lisance to be able to use them and one to make them and transporting them is another thiong all together.

And then you have two, three sets. One for small level pyro, one for basic level explosives such as gun powder and another for high explosives siuch as RDX (Not many peopel can get their hands on this lisance).

And apparently its a lot of work to get these certifications and lisances too but with good reason.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

RyanJ why don't you get some qualifications yourself and start your own business like those mentioned by YT ? That would be kinda cool! :D

I hope too some day :)

I'm actually studdying AS level chemistry right now so once I'm done there on to get a masters and what ever other qualifications I need to become a chemist and a pyro chemist at that :)

Chemistry interests me in any shape or form but pyro chemistry is one of my favourites!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones