Ipod Shuffle Went Threw Washing Machine

-Demosthenes-

impossible to determine without actualy having the thing here to see, the real danger comes from having the battery inside it, stray voltages are free to wander the pcb and cause all sorts of problems (some BER).

take the battery out should have been your 1`st priority, and then rinse soak the whole thing in clean fresh water, and allow a week or 2 for it to dry completely, don`t be tempted to put the battery back until your 100% sure it`s dry.

leave as many covers off it as possible too, a warm airing cuboard is an ideal place to keep it for this time.

if you`re lucky, it`ll work again, but you`ll have likely scrambled and songs you had stored on it.

I`ve had similar happen to a cell phone and a Psion Organiser, both of them resumed normal function again after doing as I outlined above.

You were lucky with the cell phone and a Psion Organiser YT... like you said, the battery is the part which does the damage.

I think even if YT did have it infront of him then he couldn't tell if it'd work again, not without waiting and trying anyway. The damage (if there is any) would probably be to the tiny electronics. You can't really see if they're gonna work or not, you've just gotta try it.

well, Often with such devices there`s considerable power conditioning before and after the voltage regulator, that`s the area to look at really, in a washing powder it contains Ionic surfactants and since most of these devices are SMD parts corrosion typified by a white oxide around them is a tell-tale sign of damage.

the most vulnerable part isn`t actualy this though!

it`s the conductive carbon/rubber strips that mate the pcb with the lcd display, not only can that take months to dry if you`re unlucky enough to breach this seal (it takes some doing under ordinary conditions) but it will remove quite effectively the vaporised metal conductors on the glass plate :(

if that happens, it`s Toast! you`ll need a new lcd and rubbers.

5614 actualy I wasn`t all that "Lucky" per se, with my 2 devices, the cell phone went into fresh water and the Psion fell out of my pocket into the bath and was out in a micro-second or less (still soggy inside non the less) both had the batteries removed ASAP!

that part really is Key!

the most vulnerable part isn`t actualy this though!

it`s the conductive carbon/rubber strips that mate the pcb with the lcd display' date=' not only can that take months to dry if you`re unlucky enough to breach this seal [/quote']

YT, I dont think that IPod Shuffles have lcd's...

Schrodngr's_cat: That's a good point, the Shuffle doesn't have a screen does it?

danny8522003: A wireless network card doesn't have a battery so it's more likely to survive a wash in that sense.

AzurePhoenix: amen!

Probably acted too soon... plugged into the computer (in charges by usb on computer) it was recognized by itunes, and it charged all the way... and then it completely dies when you unplug it from the computer.

I suppose it's too late now... buy hey, the cell phone works :D

that`s really unfortunate, "there but for the sake of a little patience rest I" should be inscribed upon it`s little tomb stone when you bury it :(

2 weeks man, that`s all it would have taken, I`m disapointed in you, why did you even ASK US for advice if you had no intention of adherance?

Guest phaktor

My Ipod is responding ... after givving up all hope I plugged it back into my computer (expecting nothing) and it lit up.

I can at lease read all the files off of it.

now it's time to see if the battery will recharge.

I figure it must of dried out.

Guest phaktor

I was talking about that with some co-workers, they were saying that lithium-ion batteries don't fare so well with water.. they were saying that one of them had dropped a cell phone into a puddle, it died, after replacing the battery it was fine.