Why are humans made of carbon? What else might they be made of?

tempo

This is a Cambridge University question.... that I have no idea about. Does anyone know?

Carbon is the only cmpound that can form chains with its self. Thats not exactly true Silicon can but they are highly unstable.

And let us not forget that Carbon is found just about everywhere so its easy to get hold of and its stable and it forms a huge range of compounds :)

Also' date=' have a look at this it may be able to provide more insight than I :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

unless it`s a Trick question, in that case there`s a few answers!

1) nothing else, they wouldn`t be human.

2) for that part of what else might they be made of, then you may start listling alsorts of things that we`re made of, water (hydrogen/oxygen) calcium, phosphorus, nitrogen etc....

• 3 months later...

The human body is composed of 65% Oxygen and only 18% Carbon. Other essential elements are: Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Calcium, Phosphoros, Potassium, Sodium, Magnesium, Copper and alike metals, etc.

They probably asked why Carbon because Carbon is most easily found and it can bond up to 4 bonds.

A short' date=' oblique question then:

Has a living organism [i']ever [/i]been found on earth that require no carbon?

Not that has currently been know... there may have been life on mars for example but becasue we were looking for organic life we would easily miss it. there have been specilations simple life could from from Silicon with simmilar properties to carbon. These would grow very slowly and appear almost like rocks...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

• 3 weeks later...

There is another reason not really emphasised enough here...carbon is very very very stable, the most stable of all elements. If you put it in water it doesn't explode, nor does it combust in air or when it is compressed, etc etc etc. It can have many different chemicals on it and only relatively few will harm it, and usually it will be able to heal itself, if not it can be repaired, in most circumstances, by alternative means. Overall carbon is the super element and should be up on a pedestal! Here's to carbon! *clinks glass*

• 2 weeks later...

The concept of stability, introduced here, does not make any sense. There are other elements, which are much more stable than carbon (with stability in the sense of redfox), such as gold, platinum.

What is special about carbon is that it can form tremendously large and complex molecules of great diversity. No other elements even shows a pale shadow of carbon's great versatility in forming different compounds.

With other elements, we already are quite surprised if we find clusters of the same element with bonds between atoms of the same element of more than a few atoms. Such clusters exist, such as Pb-clusters with around 10 atoms, where Pb-Pb bonds exist. The same is true for Re, B, and to a lesser extent Si. But carbon can form almost any type of structure with hundreds or thousands of carbon-carbon bonds in it. This makes carbon unique and this property is exploited by all life-forms we know.

• 3 years later...

This is a Cambridge University question.... that I have no idea about. Does anyone know?

It would be more properly stated as carbon based molecules. We are not made of carbon. Coal,diamond,and graphite are made of carbon. Actually, we are made up of mostly water, but I understand what you mean. Carbon is in the group just below hydrogen and helium. It`s atoms have only the first and second shell of electrons. Because of the electrons closeness to the atomic nucleus they are more strongly attracted to that nucleus and therefore make stronger bonds when bonded to other elements such as hydrogen,nitrogen,oxygen and such. Also carbon can make 4 covalent bonds. That is the most covalent bonds an element can make. Silicon can also make 4 covalent bonds but because it`s electrons are in the third shell they are further away from the nucleus of the atom and therefore less tightly bonded or attracted to the nucleus. More specifically the protons that exist in the nucleus of all atoms. So it`s the combination of carbon`s electrons closeness to the nucleus of the atom and it`s ability to form 4 covalent bonds that make it the best element to form the different carbon skeletal structures that elements such as hydrogen,nitrogen, oxygen and others are bonded to, to form the different tissues and such that make up all the different organisms . I hope that makes sense to you. ...Dr.Syntax

I note that proteins don't rely on carbon forming long chains. I'd imagine that at lower temperatures a silicon based analogue might be possible. Also let's not forget that the presence of oxygen seems to be important for higher life forms... perhaps that's part of the deal...

Oh Brother! If that isn't an innocently loaded question if I've ever seen one! But I shall follow the forum's rules. I'm a pedestrian in such matters, but I think the Chemists have provided very good responses. If you look closely, though, they address the 'How' component, as good scientists rightly should. By phrasing the question with 'Why' puts us all on a slippery slope indeed! That single word permits(if not requires) the introduction of philosophical and theological perspectives as well. But by no means, don't let me be mistaken- there are no 'wrong' questions. It is simply yet another reminder of both the power and limitation Laguage imposes upon us.

Carbon is a versatile molecule. IT can have many different material properties depending on the environment and the types of molecule it's surrounded by. More importantly it can form single, double, or triple bonds. This is part of the reason for it's versatility. It can bond easily with 4 Hydrogens, more than any other PROMINENT molecules found in the body. It can attach various functional groups to itself. I'm just listing things here, not really reaching a conclusion. I think part of the reason we're not made of silicon is because it's not electronegative enough to give much versatility to our body. IT won't have the ability to attract as much electrons as strongly as carbon. Plus, it's a metalloid so we'd be conducting electricity!

Carbon is a versatile molecule. IT can have many different material properties depending on the environment and the types of molecule it's surrounded by. More importantly it can form single, double, or triple bonds. This is part of the reason for it's versatility. It can bond easily with 4 Hydrogens, more than any other PROMINENT molecules found in the body. It can attach various functional groups to itself. I'm just listing things here, not really reaching a conclusion. I think part of the reason we're not made of silicon is because it's not electronegative enough to give much versatility to our body. IT won't have the ability to attract as much electrons as strongly as carbon. Plus, it's a metalloid so we'd be conducting electricity!

REPLY: It all boils down to the fact that carbon and carbon alone has an outer electron shell existing in the second shell and the ability to form 4 covalent bonds. Because of carbon`s outer electrons existing closer to those 6 protons than all the elements with a third electron shell that are less strongly bonded or attracted to those protons because they are farther away from them. For that reason the bonds carbon forms are stronger bonds. And it can form 4 covalent bonds which is the most any element can form. Yes, silicon can also form 4 covalent bonds but they are weaker bonds. Therefore carbon is the best element to form the skeletal structures for other elements to bond to, to form the different tissues and such. It is as simple as that.Why would natural selection allow for silicon based structures when there is the much better bonding Carbon available ? It would not and will not as others have suggested. NOT INCLUDING SFNfan#1 He understands. ...Dr.Syntax

Edited by dr.syntax

*turns 'Mr. Roboto' song on*! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Such an open question, but that is a cool question. I like a lot of the points made here especially from dr. syntax. My 2 cents I guess... its small, 4 valence, it may covalently bind to itself (building blox!).. electronegatively pretty neutral, it can go oxidation +2, -2, etc.

Silicon has 4 valence e's also, but its so much bigger... I think that's the main difference it'd have a tough time fullfilling same role as C, it couldn't bind to N, O, H, etc. like carbon can, if you think how friggin huge some protein complexes are there's prolly just no room >.<

I mentioned in another thread that if we invented an AI system we could possibly copy the information in a human brain into this system. This would be a human conscience in a computer-system. Thus it would be a human in some sense but it would also be a machine. But if this machine could reproduce itself and adapt to its environment it would have many characteristics of life. This seems like a more possible route than silicon based life.

• 3 years later...

Carbon compounds form the basis for almost all the organism it is because of its two properties:

* tetravalency and

* catenation

hence because of this it forms millions of comp[ound in universe and a mere human too.....:)

• 1 month later...

carbon is the essential component of organic chemistry. it can easily combine with hydrogen and oxygen. the ones that are bonded with hydrogen are called hydrocarbons.

now that being said there are many things that our body needs. firstly it need glucose, for energy is released when it is broken. this is a hydrocarbon chain (glucose). it is a aldehyde to be more specific meaning the end of the carbon chain is bonded to a oxygen.

secondly it needs lipids for storage of energy and protection as it forms a layer. this again is formed by carboxylic acid which is a hydrocarbon chain which the end Carbon contains a double bond O and bond OH. finally it needs proteins which are the building blocks of our body. they are made of carboxlyic groups and amines bonded to a hydrocarbon chain. amines meaning NH2. i would say this is one of the most important things we have in our bodies they do a range of functions ranging from hormones, to enzymes, to mucus which play a great role in protecting our body.

to sum it up i would say we would all be dead if we didnt have carbons in our body.

source

a level chemistry

a level biology

discovery channel

Edited by maskman`

I think RyanJ got it right in Post #2 — versatile, multi-valent, stable, abundant, and dr.syntax has twice indicated a fifth property — small enough to bond with other elements involved with life. Carbon seems to be the "social butterfly" of elements.

Edited by ewmon