Extracting ethanoic acid from vinegar

aj47

Anyone know how i could easily extract acetic (ethanoic) acid from common household vinegar with home made equipment?

I'm bored and i happen to have some pure ethanol so i thought i would have a go at making an ester.

have you used our Search Engine yet?

we have plenty of threads asking this same old question.

for brevity, you get your vinigar and add sodium hydroxide (or sodium bicarbonate) until no reaction occurs and it reads neutral, then you crystalise this by evaporation to make sodium acetate, then you add sulphuric acid to this and distill it. the product is Acetic acid conc.

Acetic acid will not decompose but evaporation rates of water and acid are almost equal. You have to evaporate 90% or even more of liquid to get residue that is remarkably more concentrated than your initial product.

Acetic acid will not decompose but evaporation rates of water and acid are almost equal. You have to evaporate 90% or even more of liquid to get residue that is remarkably more concentrated than your initial product.

Right so it will work that way then - great :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones