Why are some people ambidextrous

My hypothesis is that becoming ambidextrous has more to do with genetics than psychogenesis. This being said there must have been some evolutionary change within the DNA that caused people to become ambidextrous. Perhaps people who are ambidextrous are actually the ones who are evolved.

Bob you stated that the logical right-handers were the more advanced, or am I wrong?

It could simply be that the ambidextrous ones are naturally gifted in using both hemispheres of the brain (logic|creativity) are an example of the next step in human evolution.

However, for this to be valid, I'm sure there would have to be numerous studies to show how the creativity and logic of ambidextrous people compare to right and then left handed people.

well I don`t know that We`re "More Evolved" exactly, I don`t know enough about that sort of thing to comment with any real authority.

I do know that it is an advantage over "Single Handers" sometimes, be they right or left.

it comes down to manual skills, I can solder with both hands equaly well, and there has been occasion where it would have been almost impossible to solder or weld with the wrong hand had I have been single handed for the wrong side. if I`m sawing a large peice of wood or metal and my arm gets tired, I can simple switch over and continue.

I can Fight (Boxing) either right or left sided although I tend to opt for the Left handed approach (most people don`t know how to handle that either LOL!).

it`s silly little things like that really, practical stuff where it comes in handy (pun intended).

as for Brain differences, well we`re ALL different from each other anyway, so I wouldn`t even like to Start guessing what they may be, if at all there IS any difference?

Perhaps "more evolved" was too blunt, and should have said, "have a better chance of survival based on the principles of natural selection." Which in this case is very apparent if one section of the body tires and you are not able to use the opposite symmetrical section efficiently.

Hmmm....

That IS an interesting point when stated like that!

but again, I don`t really know enough about this sort of area to comment beyond opinion alone, yes, it HAS allowed me to do things that others have not been able to do for themselves, but it`s just "Normal" as far as I`m concerned, nothing "Special" exactly, just usefull on occasion where tiredness or awkward positions present themselves :)

No such correlation has been shown as far as I'm aware. Both hemispheres contain motor cortices and lateralisation just determines which is dominant. As I said' date=' there are degrees of lateralisation, so right handed people can be left footed or left eye dominant, so it's not an 'all or nothing' state. Left handed people are not necessarily left hemisphere dominant and all people use both hemispheres anyway. It's a question of degree.

BobbyJoeCool: These 'split-brain' patients have had the hemispheres of their brain separated by cutting through the corpus callosum (in most cases other transhemispheric tracts are left alone). This is usually done in cases of severe (life threatening) epilepsy, to prevent the cascade from passing from one hemisphere to the other.

These people can read well enough because the optic chiasm allows information from each eye to pass into both hemispheres. Where it gets strange is when, for example, they are choosing a dress or a suit from a wardrobe. One hand will reach for one and the other will reach for another, each hemisphere having made a separate choice.[/quote']

Thanks for clearing somethings up... I couldn't think of the illness that is the reason for separating the hemispheres. I know we talked about it, but it was never on a test (and that's the stuff I remember).

My hypothesis is that becoming ambidextrous has more to do with genetics than psychogenesis. This being said there must have been some evolutionary change within the DNA that caused people to become ambidextrous. Perhaps people who are ambidextrous are actually the ones who are evolved.

Bob you stated that the logical right-handers were the more advanced' date=' or am I wrong?

It could simply be that the ambidextrous ones are naturally gifted in using both hemispheres of the brain (logic|creativity) are an example of the next step in human evolution.[/quote']

I think before considering the next step in human evolution, you'd have to take into account that lateral dominance (and cases of non-dominance) can be seen in many other animals. Other primates show left/right handedness and non-dominance, so do dolphins, dogs, some crabs, birds and so-on. Lateral dominance/non-dominance is not a uniquely human trait.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm ambidextrous, I have always used my left hand for writing, but my right hand for everything else. Recently I started testing my abilities by using two pens at the same time and seeing what I could do, I can write two things at the same time, write something with one hand and writing a mirror image of it in the other among other things. For anyone interested in doing the mirror image writing, the key is to 'draw' your text, not write it. When you try to write it your brain struggles to try and decipher what each letter would look like backwards, it's much easier to imagine an image being mirrored.

I think that made sense. :D

• 6 years later...

From what i understand the left side of the brain is better with logic and the right creativity. People with my disorder Aspergers Syndrome although socially lacking are generaly quite good with logic and creativity. does this mean that someone with this disorder is more likely to be ambidextrous than a neurotypical person?