Fire Fighting Proposal

alt_f13

alt_f13 initialy yes it would take time, they`de have to deployed using traditional methods like the helicopter drop, a bit like they do with water, you`de be able to cover more area per load though as the density wouldn`t have to be as great per meter than that of water, and it would have the advantage of leaving a metal oxide layer to stifle further fire atempts and wouldn`t evaporate in the same way water would. a bit like putting sand on fire, except this sand explodes on heating leaving a flame retardant byproduct. thinking about your FAE idea, if they were to be positioned carefuly around an area, with a concrete backing (tamped) something along the lines of claymor effect could be acheived perhaps, creating a form of area denial for oxygen, rather just drop one in the middle and risk it blowing outwards, how about outside blowing inwards? any thoughts?

Glider, Yes I remeber seeing it now :) (I thought it was a nuke they wanted to drop though? but it was a long time ago).

The claymore type of explosion seems interesting, but it seems like there would be little/counter-productive vacuum effect. Claymores and directional explosives are meant for projectiles, shrapnel, and would be harder to set up for explosions of largish magnetude.

My initial suggestion for explosive fire fighting was for deployment speed and large effect radius. Dragons eggs seem closer to what I was thinking, and the retardant after-product seems like a very good idea. They use it now, but in the way they use water.

I cannot seem to find what chemicals they currently use. Anyone know?

dragons eggs are typicaly an exotic thermite, usualy fine mesh alu powder shoichometricly mixed and pressed with a reactive metal oxide usualy copper or lead. the other sort that I`ve seen in use aren`t dragon eggs, but pingpong balls filled with potasium permanganate and injected with ethylene glycol just prior to release, these tiny devices atualy start fires, but in a controled way, to set up a "pre burnt" barrier that with fingers crossed, the main fire wont be able to cross.

there is another school of thought that states that just letting them burn is also the best way, as it promotes new growth and prevents the HUGE fires from woods that have been long overdue for a meltdown.

I think partly if not MOSTLY mankind is entirely to blame here, WE CHOOSE to put our houses in these areas, incl beach front houses in huricane areas!

what price a good veiw?

eventualy someone`s got to "pay the piper"!!!

I'm personally in favour of controlled burns, but whether it's fewasible or not depends on the forest type. That way there's less dead undergrowth and debris which fuels the fires spread into the tree tops. Fires in the undergrowth are definately alot easier to control, and that's basically all we want to do, control them around where we live.