Anyone here use Gmail?

RyanJ

They're hoping they don't have anybody that can actually use a terabyte of space.

i.e. it's just advertising.

Yea good point - I havent even managed to use the Gmail 2Gb yet and I'm trying too :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

hotmail's 250mb is too much for me, what could I use a tb for? filehosting, I guess...

Ummm... I don't think you can use it all... thats more space than I have on all my hard disks!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I think you could theoretically use it all, if they didn't restrict your account.

Part of the practicle difficulty would be that there's limits for attachment sizes. So you'd be filling up 1TB of space using max 10MB* attachments per email.

*I don't know the exact value for gmail, yahoo! is at 20MB whilst hotmail is at 10MB, not sure about gmail, although I'm pretty certain it's not more than 20MB, unless they just upgraded at a similar time to this 1TB upgrade.

@5614: Gmail currently has 2659 [acr=Mega Bytes]MB[/acr] os storage spacew :)

I wish I could use that site as storage space for my haerd drive' date=' I could back it all up on there!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones[/quote']

Yes, but you can only upload certain sized file at a time, right?

Yes, but you can only upload certain sized file at a time, right?

Yes - right now its 50 [acr=Mega Bytes]MB[/acr] per file but they may upgrade that again one day if they get lots of cusomers!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

wanna make one?!?

It would be no easy job for this site. You'd have to split the file into 50[acr=Mega Bytes]MB[/acr] bits and then upload them with a special E-mail title. Then when you need to download them you'd need to download them in the right order and re-intergrate them :eek:

It could be done but it would take some work ;-)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

err, does that gmail thing split it up???

I know a good program which splits files, you're meant to download it from here:

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit

but "The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later."

So try somewhere like here:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,20360,findid,42068,00.asp

it's just a .exe file and it's the simplest thing to use.

Open > Split > Browse to file > directory for the split file > specify max file size > it turns it into myfile.001, myfile.002 etc. and then you just use the program to bring it back together again, very useful thing.

wish I knew how... but I'd certainly appreciate a copy if somebody else did it! hehe.

Same here.

@5614: That program would work if you could find some way to link it into a new program and use it that way. Otherwise you'll have to split the fukes then upload them manually.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones