Blog from an abortion clinic

Martin

I didn't read all the article, but I think it brings up an interesting point of view. Americans are so concerned with the moral issues surrounding abortion, eg. is the fetus really alive or not(is abortion equivilant to murder), that we totally miss the obvious danger of illegal abortions, which in the past was, and perhaps in the future will be, women's only choice.

In reality, women who want or need to get an abortion performed will seek out a way, be that a legal and safe way, or a rusty coat hanger used by someone who doesn't even have a medical license.

oh yeah... I remember reading a horrible/true story about a self-induced abortion using an unfolded coat hanger. I was sick afterwords.

edit: I was just thinking... There is an abortion clinic nearbye, and there are protestors there everyday... but there all men. I've never seen a single women protesting in from of the clinic. Interesting...

the issue is so polarized it has become one of the most difficult to discuss---

it's easy to get the idea that you cant say openly what you feel for fear of offending someone on one side or the other

I was strongly affected by reading some of the stories on this blog. I am now embarrassed that in the past i judged others without having an idea of what it's like to be there.

----------------------

EDIT: I'm thinking about what you say ecoli in post #3 and #5. About those guys who protest everyday at the abortion clinic it makes me think what a fine thing it would be if there really were a Hell so that those guys could suffer eternal torment for being such jerks. I'm responding here so yours can be the last post, out of respect actually, since you speak your mind on a controversial subject.

the issue is so polarized it has become one of the most difficult to discuss---

it's easy to get the idea that you cant say openly what you feel for fear of offending someone on one side or the other

I'm pro-choice... and I don't care who I offend by saying it. Under certain conditions, I think abortion should be legal... (aside from mere convenince without just cause). Is it fair to ask a baby to grow up in a home that doesn't want you or can't support you? Whats so moral about that?

EDIT: I'm thinking about what you say ecoli in post #3 and #5. About those guys who protest everyday at the abortion clinic it makes me think what a fine thing it would be if there really were a Hell so that those guys could suffer eternal torment for being such jerks. I'm responding here so yours can be the last post, out of respect actually, since you speak your mind on a controversial subject.

Over here abortion is not as big an issue as in the US. I can agree with you martin that from our perspective these guys are behaving in a very jerkish manner. However have you considered why they may be protesting? What always gets me about abortion is that the father has no say in what happens at all. Perhaps these are fathers of aborted babies. Who feal betrayed by a system that would take their child away if the mother says or make them pay child support for 18 years without any consideration to what they want. I'm pro abortion but I think the current system sucks in many respects.

Scott

EDIT: I'm thinking about what you say ecoli in post #3 and #5. About those guys who protest everyday at the abortion clinic it makes me think what a fine thing it would be if there really were a Hell so that those guys could suffer eternal torment for being such jerks. I'm responding here so yours can be the last post' date=' out of respect actually, since you speak your mind on a controversial subject.[/quote']

wow... I'm honored by the respect, Martin, but really... its not necesary :D

Over here abortion is not as big an issue as in the US. I can agree with you martin that from our perspective these guys are behaving in a very jerkish manner. However have you considered why they may be protesting? What always gets me about abortion is that the father has no say in what happens at all. Perhaps these are fathers of aborted babies. Who feal betrayed by a system that would take their child away if the mother says or make them pay child support for 18 years without any consideration to what they want. I'm pro abortion but I think the current system sucks in many respects.

hmmm... interesting point. I fear though that the number of fathers who feel abused by abortion is far outnumbered by the number of fathers who abuse it. How many mothers are left to care for the children when the father leaves her?

And what about the fathers who are protesting? (if that's really who they are)... sure they may feel abused by the system, but what if was the other way around? What if these protestors had babies they can't afford to take care of... sure its easy to protest, but its something altogether different if you put into a situation where you need to abort a child...

and besides it's not like the mother is taking any pleasure aborting a baby... I'm sure it's a terribly hard decision to have to make. Do you think that these women are happy having to excersize their right to choose abortion? Can the people protesting really say that these women are immoral (which they do). They don't know these women personally, how can they judge them without knowing the situation these women are in?

I believe that many of those people that protest are not really concerned about the mothers at hand or the aborted babies. More, they are interested in a political agenda that takes away a woman's right to choose and completely ignores the issue at hand: there a too many babies being born to women who won't or can't take care of them.

I think the that until society finds better ways to support and assist single mothers, find good homes for orphans, and protect women from sexual predators, we have no right to enforce regulations that prevent a woman from doing what she sees fit for her own survival.

Ecoli,

hmmm... interesting point. I fear though that the number of fathers who feel abused by abortion is far outnumbered by the number of fathers who abuse it. How many mothers are left to care for the children when the father leaves her?

I agree, but the bad behaviour of the many shoulden't condemn the few.

And what about the fathers who are protesting? (if that's really who they are)... sure they may feel abused by the system, but what if was the other way around? What if these protestors had babies they can't afford to take care of... sure its easy to protest, but its something altogether different if you put into a situation where you need to abort a child...

and besides it's not like the mother is taking any pleasure aborting a baby... I'm sure it's a terribly hard decision to have to make. Do you think that these women are happy having to excersize their right to choose abortion? Can the people protesting really say that these women are immoral (which they do). They don't know these women personally, how can they judge them without knowing the situation these women are in?

I never said that the mother took pleasure in aborting the baby...I'm interested in knowing where you got that from:confused: . However I'm not advocating these protestors I for one would never protest an abortion centre, as I said I'm pro-abortion, i'm just pointing out that the system needs to change.

Aumsonata,

I believe that many of those people that protest are not really concerned about the mothers at hand or the aborted babies. More, they are interested in a political agenda that takes away a woman's right to choose and completely ignores the issue at hand: there a too many babies being born to women who won't or can't take care of them.

Granted but what about the mans right to keep their child. They are fuly responsible once it is born weather they want it or not. But have no say in its well being before its born.

I think the that until society finds better ways to support and assist single mothers, find good homes for orphans, and protect women from sexual predators, we have no right to enforce regulations that prevent a woman from doing what she sees fit for her own survival.

About the bolded part, I think your refering to making abortion illegal. I agree that it should be legal to aboprt a baby, but how about 'regulations' that protect the rights of both parents?

`Scott

Ecoli' date='

I agree, but the bad behaviour of the many shoulden't condemn the few.[/quote']

Unfortunatly american society has always worked this way. Its the unfortunate things about a democracy. For example... marijuana is illegal because most people can't handle it... sucks for the ones who can.

I never said that the mother took pleasure in aborting the baby...I'm interested in knowing where you got that from:confused: .

I know you didn't, BenSon... I was just trying to get into the mindset of the protestors, and try to reason against why they might be protesting. It was a rhetorical thing... sorry for the confusion.

However I'm not advocating these protestors I for one would never protest an abortion centre, as I said I'm pro-abortion, i'm just pointing out that the system needs to change.

playing the devils advocate... I know you were. Its a good way to fix potnetial problems with the system.