What came first? The chloroplast or the mitrochondria?

Bluenoise

What came first? The chloroplast or the mitochondia?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What came first? The chloroplast or the mitochondia?

• Neither (God made them, or some other fairy tale)
    • Mitochondia
    • Chloroplast
    • Chicken or was that egg?

• 2 weeks later...

as a GUESS,

the chicken/egg thing is silly, the egg came long before chickens did.

based on the assumption that God might have created it all, it still doesn`t answer the question anyway, so that`s out the window too.

I`de guess at Chloroplasts, we eveloved from basic amino acid "Soup" and the Chloroplast is less complex, besides, plant life here would make more sense than Animal, as they`de have to EAT something, and to develop a carnivore so early on, would be ilogical as it would require species variation from the start to diferentiate the winners/loosers.

so I vote Plants 1`st then animal :)

Wasn't algae the first plant on earth, and isn't algae sexless, so no eggs (seeds) and not very appetising for a Sunday roast. ;)

Correct :)

I'd also say chloroplasts - my reason is this: mitocondria preforn aerobic resperation, to do this they need oxygen. In the early atmosphere there was very little and so the chloroplasts must have evolved first :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

i voted chloroplasts - for the mitochondria to conduct resporation, they needed glucose, which is made by the mitochondria...so it wouldn't have been much gd 4 the mitochondria to come 1st.

If there is error in that i'm sorry, onli a student :)

• 2 weeks later...

My guess, Chloroplast.

In order for energy to develop, we need either food or sunlight dependant on the organism. Food was in only plant form at first, which provided whatever an other organisms with food for the mitochondria, but the original energy was all in the plant, which came from chloroplasts.

In order for energy to develop' date=' we need either food or sunlight dependant on the organism. Food was in only plant form at first, which provided whatever an other organisms with food for the mitochondria, but the original energy was all in the plant, which came from chloroplasts.[/quote']

Not if the mitochondia used a different source of energy first, then changed after the chloroplast came about.

Wouldn't Mitochondria have come first? I thought that plant structures are more advanced then unicellular organisms or whatnot, and the basic units didn't have any cholorplast. Also, I'm sure it requires alot more energy to have to produce your own food then to get an outside source; all you'd have to do is eat the amoeba next to you if all you had was mitochondria.

• 4 weeks later...
Wouldn't Mitochondria have come first? I thought that plant structures are more advanced then unicellular organisms or whatnot, and the basic units didn't have any cholorplast. Also, I'm sure it requires alot more energy to have to produce your own food then to get an outside source; all you'd have to do is eat the amoeba next to you if all you had was mitochondria.

Correct!

Mitochondria are the sole functioning unit for respiration. Without this BASIC function, the more complex process of photosynthesis would never have started. It's also possible that there was little light where cells first formed.