Black Holes and string theory?

RyanJ

Hi there all you physics fans!

I have recently wondered about this question after watching a program on String Theory (It was great too :D). How could string theory be used to explain a black hole?

Would it be something like a large collection of closed strings forming lots of gravitons in one place?

I also have another question. Why is the graviton massless? Is there a reason for this?

Thanks for your help on these questions :)

Ryan Jones

string theory might be able to provide answers to black holes... maybe a black hole is a rip in the membrane of our p-brane... (this is just something I thought up, probably not correct at all)

But as for gravitons... it is a gauge boson, one of the 4 particles that are designated to each of the four fundamental forces.... But the graviton isnt proven to exist yet, (maybe in 2007, they will see one)

Only photons and gluons are massless (maybe gravitons too who knows)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_bosons

I was reading an article on how they plan to detect the grvitons using the [acr=Large Hardon Collider]LHC[/acr] when its built along with a load of other interesting things :D

@JonM: - That is sort of what a black hole is considered to be. Its a hole in space time - I'd just like to know how string theory would explain this.

Seeing as string and M-Theory are still in their early stages of development compared to some theories then I may have to wait a while to get my answer to this one as a lot of it is yet to be fully understood :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I was reading an article on how they plan to detect the grvitons using the [acr=Large Hardon Collider]LHC[/acr] when its built along with a load of other interesting things :D

Yes that’s what I was referring too, It should also prove/disprove the existence of the higgs boson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

It might also prove/disprove supersymmtery which is a theory that is part of string theory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersymmetry

Yes that’s what I was referring too' date=' It should also prove/disprove the existence of the higgs boson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

It might also prove/disprove supersymmtery which is a theory that is part of string theory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersymmetry[/quote']

Yup, a lot rests on the finding of those :D

I just can't wait to hear the results of the tests - hopefully there should also be some other new particles to exmain also and as you said these should help to prove supersymetry - its going to be a good year :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

That is sort of what a black hole is considered to be. Its a hole in space time - I'd just like to know how string theory would explain this.

Heres how I understand it. String theory allows for these 'tears' in space-time, because it states that little strings would 'wrap' around the tears, at the time of forming, and thus prevent the entire universe from collapsing. The key is that without strings, tears would not be possible because the universe would collapse (or a string of catastrophic events would be set off, eventually destroying the universe). Also, when these tears and re-stitchings of space-time are applied to certain Calabi-Yau spaces (the descriptions for the 6 curled-up dimensions), they re-form into a different Calabi-Yau space with the exact same physical properties as the original. This also explains worm-holes within the context of string theory.

Oh, and if I'm wrong, please correct me. I'm kinda new to string theory.

Cheers,

LazerFazer

Actually, I would say a black hole might be an entrance to another dimension, above ours, such as the 7 or 8th, 7th being as I have thought height width and length inbetween molecules, in the void. Or it could be as suggested.

Maybe! We really can't be shure yet untill we have a better understanding of string therory :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Actually, I would say a black hole might be an entrance to another dimension, above ours, such as the 7 or 8th, 7th being as I have thought height width and length inbetween molecules, in the void. Or it could be as suggested.

It could be. However, the string theory states that dimensions #5-10 are all curled up inside our dimensions that we live in. It just so happens that we are too big to be able to access those dimensions.

Is it a possibility that it would take use to the 11th dimension, the one where parallel universes could like? It could be, although I think that it would be pretty slim, because the branes (membranes as some know it) where our universes lie are separated. When they collide with each other, they result in a massive explosion, called the Big Bang.

Of course, this is only theory, and is what the String Theory states.

Is it a possibility that it would take use to the 11th dimension' date=' the one where parallel universes could like? It could be, although I think that it would be pretty slim, because the branes (membranes as some know it) where our universes lie are separated. When they collide with each other, they result in a massive explosion, called the Big Bang.

Of course, this is only theory, and is what the String Theory states.[/quote']

Who can really say?

The moment anyone passes the event horizon they can't send back any information... What a pitty... Maybe they do go to another dimension?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Hmmmm.... its the 'other dimension' that I don't really agree with. We are able to use 4 dimension, and are all contained in a dimension so large, that it could contain parallel universe.

What I think that you meant to say is that you have gone to another universe or brane. If that is the case, then yes, the string theory states that it would be impossible to send signals using the technilogy that we use today.

This is because the string theory, now th M theory states that there are two types of strings. One with open ends, and these are tied down to the brane we are one, and ones with closed ends, like a circle, and these are able to escape from one universe to another, ie from one brane to another. They think that this string is what makes up the graviton, and therefore, this is why the force of gravity is weaker then all the other forces, as some of it leaks out to other branes.

So, what could all this mean? It is possible that it would mean that we could be able to communicate with other universes on different branes by exchanging 'graviton waves' or something to that extent.

And yeah, who can really say? Its all a theory that I don't think will be proved for a veeery long time :)

And yeah' date=' who can really say? Its all a theory that I don't think will be proved for a veeery long time :)[/quote']

Some say we don't even fully understand a lot of the equations yet so that will need to be the first step :)

With any luck in 2007 there will be an experiment at the Harg Ladrol Collider that will prove / dissprove certain aspects of String Theory :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

hmm well I think with string theory and other dimensions we are just starting to scratch the surface of what everything really is... I think m-theory and branes are just the rudimentary beginnings of an eventual unimaginable model of the universe and/or other universes… These theories are like Thales of Miletus in ~500 B.C. stating that sun is a massive fireball which rises out of the infinite ocean and then cools off again when it falls back in at night (stars are the trail it leaves behind) Wrong.. yes, but scientific… In the future we will come to understand everything, and these theories are the start….