Hydrogen peroxide

jsatan

I've got some hydrogen peroxide, I'm collected the O2 that came off.

From this I think it is around 3-4%

It only cost me £1 for 2li so Its ok ish....

Anyway, I remember bud (the avatar with the sanata hat on from NY I think) saying That to remove the water you just freeze it.

Water FP: 0c

H2O2 FP :-10c

Well I tried this, as its such a low % it wasnt easy.

I got a syringe filled it with peroxide and stuck it in the freezer.

When it was hard it was like slush.

Well I pressed the syringe to push the peroxide out of the ice.

This worked in a way.

I tested this on a silver plate and watched how fast the blubbles formed along side a drop straight from the bottle.

My drop was faster.

But my question is, is there a better way to do this?

PS anyone else wanting some cheep and nasty peroxide, goto your local pound shop (many names).

1.89li for 99p.

Not too bad if you have got any.

There are other ways I think but from what I hear they are quite dangerous, Hydrogen Peroxide in high concentrations is explosive anyway.

Heres one I found:

deleted for safety reasons

Like it says DO NOT try it though... the results could be nasty is some organis peroxides are formed, its really not worth the risk :)

A quck search of google returned some good results - here are a few I've looked at:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?fid=5&tid=1325

http://old.4hv.org/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=22996

If all else fails you can buy Hydrogen peroxide at higher concentrations over the internet :)

Cheers & good luck,

Ryan Jones

Freezing is much easier if you use a flexible plastic cup and wait a few days so it is completely solid then use an eye dropper to take the liquid off the top. You can then thaw the large chunk and refreeze it multiple time. Then do the same in a smaller cup with all the H2O2 you collected. The key is patience.

Freezing is much easier if you use a flexible plastic cup and wait a few days so it is completely solid then use an eye dropper to take the liquid off the top. You can then thaw the large chunk and refreeze it multiple time. Then do the same in a smaller cup with all the H2O2 you collected. The key is patience.

Yeah I had a small amount in a deep freezer for about 2 hrs or so. :)

Funny thing happened when I first checked up on it, I opened the lid and the liquid was clear and still liquid.

Right in front of my eyes it turned to ice.

Then slowly turned back to liquid. lol.

Fun fun.

Cheers for that' date=' I think I'm all set.

I just wanted to get the % up from 3% to around 15%.

:)[/quote']

Should not nbe too hard to do if you do as Lance said and use patience (I really don't have muc but thats just me ;))

I actually baught it - had to pay a £20 hazard shipping expence because the concentration was about 30%. I only ordered a small bottle of this stuff and, unfortunatly that was the only concentration they supplied :D

Have some good experimentation,

Ryan Jones!

Should not nbe too hard to do if you do as Lance said and use patience (I really don't have muc but thats just me ;))

I actually baught it - had to pay a £20 hazard shipping expence because the concentration was about 30%. I only ordered a small bottle of this stuff and' date=' unfortunatly that was the only concentration they supplied :D

Have some good experimentation,

Ryan Jones![/quote']

You can buy 17.5% from most hydroponic stores as well as nitric acid (28% I think)

Thats what I was using before, but I ran out, lol.

That was £3.50 ish for 1li but cheeper for 5li.

You can buy 17.5% from most hydroponic stores as well as nitric acid (28% I think)

Thats what I was using before' date=' but I ran out, lol.

That was £3.50 ish for 1li but cheeper for 5li.[/quote']

Bulk buying always works out cheaper. I only ever order as much as I need (When the chemicals are dangerous) and I don't like keeping this stuff arround when I don't use it because its not exactly what I call safe - it makes organic peroxides which are explosive and it can be explosive at high conentrations - not safe at all...

I've actually used all mine up and I won't need anymore for a while so I'm ahppy about that :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

There are other ways I think but from what I hear they are quite dangerous' date=' Hydrogen Peroxide in high concentrations is explosive anyway.

Heres one I found:

Like it says DO NOT try it though... the results could be nasty is some organis peroxides are formed, its really not worth the risk :)

A quck search of google returned some good results - here are a few I've looked at:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?fid=5&tid=1325

http://old.4hv.org/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=22996

If all else fails you can buy Hydrogen peroxide at higher concentrations over the internet :)

Cheers & good luck,

Ryan Jones[/quote']

RyanJ, I know you mean well, but I would suggest that you remove that instruction on making concentrated hydrogen peroxide. While you do give a warning, those instructions are some of the dumbest, most assinine things I have ever read. YOU NEVER do that reaction with diethyl ether like they suggested. YOU WILL SEVERELY HURT YOURSELF if you try that. The other methods you suggested are perfectly fine, but that first one is just a big no-no. :D

RyanJ, I know you mean well, but I would suggest that you remove that instruction on making concentrated hydrogen peroxide. While you do give a warning, those instructions are some of the dumbest, most assinine things I have ever read. YOU NEVER do that reaction with diethyl ether like they suggested. YOU WILL SEVERELY HURT YOURSELF if you try that. The other methods you suggested are perfectly fine, but that first one is just a big no-no. :D

I did say that Organic peroxides would probably be formed leading to a boom... Looks like you guys already removed it - I would have removed it if I had been here to do so :)

Cheers (I meant no harm really...)

Ryan Jones

Just out of curiosity' date=' what happens if you add sugar to 1. Hydrogen Peroxide of concentration 6 % & 2. H2O2 of concentration 60%+ ?

Thnks.[/quote']

1) you end up with a sweet tasting liquid that sends your tongue white and stings for a while afterwards.

2) very little again, but still quite sweet, although verifying this would probably land you in Hospital for corrective surgery (then prolly a Psych ward for trying it in the 1`st place!):P

however the addition of conc Sulphuric acid to the 60% soln would certainly be interesting!

Well, I... was bored one day, and am saying to myself, "lets play with some explosives" so I stumbled upon this in my bathroom. It's unstable, as heck, so don't mess with it too much.

Oh, and this stuff kills brain cells. I never have made a bomb out of it. I'm just an pyro maniac, or whatever you want to say. I just like thinking up ways to do stuff. I'm thinking though "Why don't they put 'flamable' on the bottle". I think it is. What other uses does this stuff have?

Hydrogen peroxide is NOT Flamable' date=' not even at 100%.

the only thing in a medicine cabinet likely to be flamable would be rubbing alcohol or Iodine tincture.[/quote']

Would'nt that be 100% explosive? Isn't Hydrogen peroxide explosive at high concentrations?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Well, a word of caution must be given at this place, however. High concentration H2O2 is not explosive, but even the slightest contamination can make it decompose almost explosively. When decomposition starts somewhere in the very concentrated liquid, then the heat evolved at that place causes rapid decomposition in the surrounding liquid, which in turn produces heat, etc.

So, in practice, having H2O2 around with concentrations above let's say 35% by weight is quite dangerous. Accidental contamination with a piece of hair, some dust or a small amount of some transition metal-salt may result in nasty and violent decomposition. Even 30% H2O2 can be quite nasty with this.

1) you end up with a sweet tasting liquid that sends your tongue white and stings for a while afterwards.

2) very little again' date=' but still quite sweet, although verifying this would probably land you in Hospital for corrective surgery (then prolly a Psych ward for trying it in the 1`st place!):P

however the addition of conc Sulphuric acid to the 60% soln would certainly be interesting![/quote']

Nice one YT!

Is that 'sweet' liquid flammable ? Can it burn or explode if added to anything else ?

Yeah, highly concentrated H2O2 isn't technically classified as an explosive compound, but it pretty much produces the same results.

Should that be right? I mean it can explode though that is with contamination - it on its own does not explode.

Can just about anything cause the Hydrogen Peroxide to decompose?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones