flash drive ram

TheGeek

hi,

i wanted to discuss something that i found very interesting. I am hearing that in the future windows you will be able to use your flash drives as ram. I dont understand how is this posible. Wouldn't it take alot longer and be alot slower?

• 2 weeks later...
hi' date='

i wanted to discuss something that i found very interesting. I am hearing that in the future windows you will be able to use your flash drives as ram. I dont understand how is this posible. Wouldn't it take alot longer and be alot slower?[/quote']

In exactly the same way as it now does with virtual memory which is (can be) stored on your hard drive :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Like said this is virutal memory and not RAM.

Virtual memory is slower than RAM and is only used when the RAM is full.

Virtual memory is stored on something called a page file which will be on your hard drive, normally located at c:\pagefile.sys (if you can't see it, it's probably still there, it's a hidden+system hidden file. To be able to view it:

My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > In the box, under Hidden Files and Folders)

There's little/no advantage of having the page file on a flash drive, unless you had literally no space on your hard drive.

I don't believe windows would be using true flash ram, but more likely some form of battery backed up ram.

Flash ram is only good for 1 million rewrites. While this sounds like it would last a long time, this sadly isn't so. Modern OSs write and rewrite to the ram countless times. You'd burn thru a stick of flash ram in less than a year.