Bionic Eyes

I am creating this thread because it applies highly to me. My primary motive is that I'm gradually losing my sight over years. I'm only 17 years of age, and I can only see approximately 40 to 45 percent. :-( I just read this inspiring article, "I spy a Bionic Eye" from the magazine "Discover". :)

The implemenation of this silicon retinal chip was when a physician in Air Force was forced to retire in 1997 because he was legally blinded with retinitis pigmentosa. (I have that. My syndrome is called Ushers Syndrome which is also called retinitis pigmentosa which results in smaller vision field). Several years later, the chip was implant in his right eye, and within days he was able to see the hands on his bedroom clock. Over the next few years, his vision improved drastically, and he could even see the colors of TV newscasters' ties. He was one of 10 people who recieved a retinal chip developed by physician Alan Chow and his brother Vincent. This past spring, yet another 20 patients got the treatments. "When this chip is put into the eye under the retina, its solar cells and the electrodes come into contact with the poorly functioning lightsensing cells. Light stimulates some of the 5,000 microscopic solar cells on the chip to produce a tiny electric current that wakes up the eye's failing photoreceptor cells. Then it will make the cells healthy again and gradually you can get your vision back.

So my motive is: Should I get this kind of retinal chip treatment? It seemingly to have been successful thus far...If yes, Should I write a letter to this physcian that created the chip. If no, why? Also, as I still have some of my vision left, should I wait until I get fully blind then get the treatments? Or should I get it instantly while I have some of the remaining vision?

I appreciate for your sincere concerns. :cool:

I would look for any Nature or Science papers on the technology, to see if he, or any one else, has published a scientific article on how it works. What was Discover's slant? Did they view it as solid idea or a promising technology that needs work?

The chip works by stimulating the retinal cells with microscopic jolts of electricity, allowing the pretty much useless cells to perform their job null of inhibition. The science works, and has been working in dozens of clinical trials for a good (roughly) couple of years now. So far, the chip has been a stunning success, with no failure what-so-ever in any patient. I read this out of an article in another magazine (not Discover), but forgot it's name. :-( But then saw it again on 60 minutes - and like always, had interview testimony from those testing the device.

Relate to Helix's reply:

They have already tested the device on blind dogs and they could see again. As you know that dogs can only see black/white, so I'm not sure about the colour. But I think it does relieve colours, because there are cells in your eyes that cause you to see "colour".

Please do look for published works on the bionic eyes. Thanks

:)

Relate to Zero Wing's reply:

Could you try to remember which magazine the article was in?? Also I did heard from someone about a show on TV that showed a patient receiving chip in his eye, and its very cool and reliability. The doctors would cut your pupil off and insert the chip in your back of your eye where the retina is located, and then glue the pupil back on the eye. What you think of that?

:P

Relate to Bio-Hazard's reply:

There absolutely won't be a colour dissipation because the mission of the chip was to relieve the dead cells. I understand what you mean by repetive electrical stimulation, but that's not going to happen. The electrity jolts would only "jump", intialing the cells start to grow alive again. Also, how is EMP (electromagnetic pulse) gonna to screw me up? I thought EMP is a machine that test electrial current in your body??

:confused: