Derive pie

sanjaygeorge

Pie just refers to cooked food underneath a layer of pastry. I guess you were actually talking about pi wich is, as you say, circumfrence over diameter.

22/7 is an aproximation of pie. In fact, circumfrence and radius cannot both be rational numbers.

can anyone help me how to derive pie

the value is commonly known as 22/7 and it is circumference by diameter. but is it broughty in no.???

Sorry' date=' what's broughty?

The value you've given is an approximation. Pi is a trascendental number, meaning that it is not rational, nor is it a rational root of any rational number (meaning that it can't be expressed as [math']a^{b}[/math] where [math]a[/math] and [math]b[/math] are rational, nor can it be expressed as the root of any polynomial equation).

If you would like an easy excercise in deriving pi, trying taking the circle formulas you know, [math]C = 2 \pi r[/math] and [math]A = \pi r^{2}[/math], and trying to say, approximate C or A of a given circle, and then solve the equation for pi. The most straight foward way to do this is to put a regular polygon around or inside the circle and increase the number of sides of the polygon in order to better approximate the circle (or you could do both polygons around and inside the circle and then take the average of the two for a slightly better approximation). Then once you have an Area or Circumfrence, divide that by [math]r^{2}[/math] or [math]2r[/math] respectively. Have fun!

(By the way, this method of approximating the circle with regular polygons is attributed to Archimedes and is known as the "Archimeden method".)

some scientist created a equation to derive pi. anyone knows???

Did you happen to look at the link(s) I posted? those contain just baout the most complete list of formulas I have found :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

• 3 weeks later...