Very Interesting Program!

computechni

I found a very interesting free program on the Internet! Go to http://www.aimstuff.net and click on "Mods" on the left menu. Then click on, "Into to Modding". There you can download the program. It is called "Resource Hacker".

This program can open any .exe or .dll file. When you first open a file with this program, you will see a bunch of folders. Each of these folders will probably have some sub-folders. These sub-folders have different types of files in them. Some of the files are the images that the program uses. Other files contain text. I opened Explorer.exe and one of the text files said this:

6 DIALOG 0, 0, 252, 218

STYLE DS_FIXEDSYS | DS_MODALFRAME | WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU

CAPTION "Taskbar"

LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US

FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg"

{

CONTROL "", 1111, STATIC, SS_BITMAP | SS_SUNKEN | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS, 13, 18, 223, 28

CONTROL "&Lock the taskbar", 1105, BUTTON, BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 13, 45, 200, 10

CONTROL "A&uto-hide the taskbar", 1102, BUTTON, BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 13, 58, 200, 10

CONTROL "Keep the &taskbar on top of other windows", 1101, BUTTON, BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 13, 71, 200, 10

CONTROL "&Group similar taskbar buttons", 1104, BUTTON, BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 13, 84, 200, 10

CONTROL "Show &Quick Launch", 1107, BUTTON, BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 13, 97, 200, 10

CONTROL "", 1112, STATIC, SS_BITMAP | SS_SUNKEN | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS, 13, 126, 223, 28

CONTROL "Show the cloc&k", 1103, BUTTON, BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 13, 153, 200, 10

CONTROL "You can keep the notification area uncluttered by hiding icons that you have not clicked recently.", 1106, STATIC, SS_LEFT | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 13, 169, 223, 16

CONTROL "&Hide inactive icons", 1000, BUTTON, BS_AUTOCHECKBOX | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 13, 191, 125, 10

CONTROL "&Customize...", 1007, BUTTON, BS_PUSHBUTTON | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 188, 191, 50, 14

CONTROL "Taskbar appearance", -1, BUTTON, BS_GROUPBOX | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 6, 6, 240, 104

CONTROL "Notification area", -1, BUTTON, BS_GROUPBOX | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 6, 114, 240, 98

}

What is this text? Could this be part of the actual source code? :eek:

I haven't used this program very much. I just found it on the Internet, and I thought it looked very interesting.

Its not source code, it's the porpperties of particular buttons, for example WS_TABSTOP means that you can press tab to apply focus to it (I think), "Show the cloc&k" is the text that appears when you hover over the button with the & being before the letter k which is the hotkey, the numbers are coordinates of the button etc.

This program will allow you to view and modify the interface of programs but not how they function. Be careful, depending on how a program was written, modifying something seemingly unimportant can crash your system.