Oxidising and reducing agents

airkyd

that is a VERY broad question. O2 can Oxidize.. so can H2O2. Flourine is a very powerful Oxidizer ;). I beleive that all Alkali Metals are good Reducers. Anything that you can think of that can take electrons form something is an oxidizer, and something that can give something electrons is a reducer.

Keep in mind that most chems can act as either in different situations, but that aside, here's some things...

Common oxidizing agents: halogens, permanganates, perchlorates, nitrates, peroxides

Common reducing agents: active metals, Alkali metals bonded to hydride complexes

A strong oxidizing agent does not necessarily mean that it reacts very fast, right?

Not always but often reactiions involving one or the other can be quite vigerous :)

And example would be Potassium and say Fluorine - that would be interesting to watch :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

A strong oxidizing agent does not necessarily mean that it reacts very fast, right?

Indeed, my most potent oxidizer is potassium persulfate. It is even capable of oxidizing silver ions to the +3 oxidation state! Its redox potential for the half reaction

S2O8(2-) + 2e ---> 2SO4(2-)

is over 2 Volts, which is REALLY high.

On the other hand, this oxidizer acts very sluggishly. It is powerful, yet slow.

Hmm... I have some of that here, unfortunately it`s mixed with Ammonium Persulphate, I wonder how I`de go about either seperating the 2 OR converting the Ammonium to the Potassium ion?

it`s actualy the same stuff that`s mixed into a paste with Hydrogen Peroxide to make hair Bleach!

Hmm... I have some of that here' date=' unfortunately it`s mixed with Ammonium Persulphate, I wonder how I`de go about either seperating the 2 OR converting the Ammonium to the Potassium ion?

it`s actualy the same stuff that`s mixed into a paste with Hydrogen Peroxide to make hair Bleach![/quote']

Ammonium persulfate is as good as potassium persulfate. In fact, I have samples of the sodium salt, potassium salt and ammonium salt and I have no preference over one of them. Just coincidence that I mentioned the potassium salt. If I had a mix of these salts, I would not really bother.