Teeth against sandy concrete

BigMoosie

It is rather quite bizarre, when I imagine running my teeth against sandy concrete my neck tightens up and I pull my head back to relieve the strange uneasy feeling I get. I can resist it but doing so just makes me feel more strange (cant quite think of a word to best describe the feeling).

This happens every single time I think about it, even now as I type. I do not experience this feeling for any other thoughts. Is this experience common? Does it have a name?

• 3 weeks later...

I like the sound of crunching snow... but 2 things I hate:

One would be washing up a sieve with one of those hard washing up brushes, the sound of the brush against the sieve... eeew!

The 2nd, well, I was going to say one of those hardened garden brooms on concrete (like what a gardener uses to remove lots of leaves on the groun) and the hard brush scrapes against the concrete.

I think just generally I don't like hard brushes rubbing/scraping against rough surfaces.

I also can't take the sound of styrofoam, and it doesn't seem to bother other people at all. I wonder what it is about a person that makes certain experiences so repellant that he literally flinches at the thought of it. Particularly something like that, where its not actually at all harmful to the person, and other people are completely unaffected. I don't think I was traumatized by it... must just be something in the wiring of a particular person's brain such that a particular stimulus (or even the memory of it - or even the imagined experience) just makes everything go crazy. Kind of a software glitch, like deja vu. That's totally uninformed speculation, of course...

Originally Posted by BigMoosie

It is rather quite bizarre, when I imagine running my teeth against sandy concrete my neck tightens up and I pull my head back to relieve the strange uneasy feeling I get. I can resist it but doing so just makes me feel more strange (cant quite think of a word to best describe the feeling).

This happens every single time I think about it, even now as I type. I do not experience this feeling for any other thoughts. Is this experience common? Does it have a name?

It's called Selective or Soft Sound Sensitivity ....individuals that find specific or soft sounds intolerable and is thought to be a variation of Hyperacusis; an extreme sensitivity to sound, which may have a psychological or organic basis.

These sounds are not intolerable because they are too loud, but intolerable because they are "unacceptable" sounds for their ears. Usually individuals who suffer from this either flee from this sound or physically react to it in ways that range from goosebumps or muscle contractions all the way to convulsions. WIth the onset of the identification of certain sounds as annoying, then comes the psychological overlay of conditioned negative reflexes, ie...even thinking about the possibility of exposure to these sounds can trigger a severe reaction.

omg, chalk.... ick, the sound of chalk when someone else uses it isn't bad, but the feeling and sound of it when I use it... sets my teeth on edge and gives me shivers... same with cotton except only when I think about the feeling of it, when I actually do I'm fine.

but you're talking about sounds, this thread started out with teeth on cement (urgh 'nother shiver), that doesnt have to do with sounds, and many of these mini-phobias (as they seem to be) alot of times have to do with other senses then hearing.

it really does have to do with the frequency with most of them. some people cant stand tearing cotton because the of the frequency of the noise it makes, its the same with the chalk, and fingernails on a chalk board.

im pretty sure its the same with biting the lollypop stick, but i dont know about the cement, thats weird enough that it might be related to something else.

My one is the sound of ice being scraped by something, like when you remove something from a freezer with lots of frost. I can't stand it.

My mother unfortunately can't stand the sound of paper being creased, like when you fold it in half and then press the edge to crease it. Causes lots of humorous incidents :D

• 2 weeks later...

I get the same when I squeeze cotton wool, polystirene (sp), or when I drag my fingernail along wet cotton. I've noticed that it's not the sound itself that causes the reaction, but the realisation of the two fabrics rubbing together. I'm not sure what causes it though.

... realization of the two fabrics rubbing together.

yes! thats what I think it is, its not any sound that comes from the chalk on the chalkboard that gives me shivers its thinking of the chalk rubbing against it that urks me.

I think whatever this is it goes beyond hearing.

Yeah I get the same styrofoam thing, and really badly. I'm usually a very calm quiet person but that sounds will make me spontanously yell at someone crunching it. Chalkboards don't bother me at all though strange enough.

But the teeth on sidewalk thing does. Like in american history X where he makes the kid put his teeth on the sidewalk, even typing this is making me cringe.

I get a simular thing with the idea of someone getting a finger cut off. The idea of decapitation or loosing an arm/leg doesn't phase me, but the idea of loosing a finger sets me off for some reason. I know this finger thing is a pretty extreem example but taken in the context of decapatation it doesn't make much sense why the lesser of the two would illicit such a response. Maybe I just can't comprehend the worse one so it doesn't seem very real???