Head Music

YT2095

ever had a piece of music stuck in your head, and seems to play over and over again and you can`t shift it?

there`s a peice here: http://www.bosshousemusic.com/intro.html

and for the last 2+ weeks that`s been playing over and over, I`ve even been whistling it and not even known where it came from for the 1`st week.

I don`t know WHY it`s bugging me, it`s never happened like this before with a piece of music.

what are the reasons for this?

why does it happen to people, does it serve a purpose?

HOW DO YOU STOP IT!!!! :(

ever had a piece of music stuck in your head' date=' and seems to play over and over again and you can`t shift it?

there`s a peice here: http://www.bosshousemusic.com/intro.html

and for the last 2+ weeks that`s been playing over and over, I`ve even been whistling it and not even known where it came from for the 1`st week.

I don`t know WHY it`s bugging me, it`s never happened like this before with a piece of music.

what are the reasons for this?

why does it happen to people, does it serve a purpose?

HOW DO YOU STOP IT!!!! :(

There are three reasons this happens I've found...sometimes it would be the last piece of music you heard say playing in a shopping centre, and that song tends to linger in your mind until you quash it with something else. It doesn't seem to matter what song is playing, if it's the last piece of music you hear for say, a few hours it will stay embedded in your mind.

Also, especially with a tune you don't particularly like, it's the 'must stop thinking about it' scenario which in turn makes you think about it, and it's just an endless cycle until you preoccupy your mind with something that overrides it...something important say.

The third is the all important 'hook' which is one of the skills in music that doesn't require any technical know-how, but just arranging a few chords that have familiarity, or are easy to play back in your head...you usually find it's just one bit of the tune that repeats itself, over and over and over again.

I can't give any technical psychological or neurological reasons why music has this effect, but I guess picture the artist being smacked round the head with a guitar and the music slowing and going out of tune, that seems to work for me. :)

You could try drowning it out with other (real) music, then, after a while, see if it's gone away.

Failing that, I've heard that forcefully replacing such repeating thought patterns with something else (that hopefully won't be so persistent) can sometimes help, although I've been lucky enough never to have to test this personally.

I was afraid to click the link at first! :D I thought there'd be some evil music lurking there like the video in "the ring" :P

Yeah, anyway, maybe that song's just resonating with you for some reason? The different intervals and rhytms in music hide all sorts of emotions, I think.

It reminds me of when my cousin, after hearing the start of a song, somehow guessed what the song was about pretty precisely - down to the actual words used.

I feel songs that are poorly done or simplified get stuck in your head more ... like pop songs or songs with simple beats. I think this is because its just more natural for these to be going around your mind because they are simple. Also songs that repeat a chord or a chorus many times.

try getting 1812 overture stuck in your head

actualy, I`ve been informed that it`s been over 4 weeks now.

I hope it`s not some type of OCD, I know what you mean about the more simple or repetative a tune is, the more likely it is to stick in your head, I think advertisers use that as a tactic also.

probably one of the "Worst" was the Kylie Minogue song that went Lalala lala lala la...

I wonder why our brains do it?

is it boredom?

Grrr Arrrgggggg, yes it does damn you! :P

funny thing actualy, seconds after typing mt last post, it "began playing" and displaced the other track going on, well... until I realised it and then it came back!