Searched the forums and this experiment came up

The Thing

On pssing radioactive waves through phosophorous.

It's luminescense is increased and it stays luminiscent for a long time.

If you use radium to emit the rays theywill give off 140 calories of heat in an hour.

Pretty less

But it continues to emit for long periods of time.

Oh lol. Srry. For some unexplainable reason I seem to have sort of missed that link in post 3. Reading it now...

On pssing radioactive waves through phosophorous.

It's luminescense is increased and it stays luminiscent for a long time.

If you use radium to emit the rays theywill give off 140 calories of heat in an hour.

Pretty less

But it continues to emit for long periods of time.

Where does the phosphorus come in in this experiment?

How dangerous would this experiment be if I'm working in a university lab (supposedly)? Does a university generally store radium for laboratories?

What other radioactive materials can be used for this experiment besides radium?

Hmm...I may try it out...

One must also remember that radium metal cannot exist in water. The addition of metallic radium to water will result in the formation of Ra(OH)2 and hydrogen gas. So you'll chemically generate a lot of heat as well if you put Ra(s) into water. :D

• 7 months later...

I'm interested in a simaler experament where you coat the active side of a small solar panal in radium paint and then hook it up to an LED. unfortunly it dosn't seem that Radium is as easy to obtain as it once was.