Explain Chromosome 6 to me in a nutshell.

Bio-Hazard

I was reading some psychological literature when I came across something that was discovered recently: Chromosome 6.

Supposedly this chromosome has an influence on a human's intelligence.

Do other creatures on Earth have this chromosome? What is the story behind this particular chromosome?

a chromosome is DNA which holds genetic information. I kinda questioned this thing myself.. i think it was just a fancy name for something that has to do with genetics.. i don't understand it, that's why I asked about it.

-edit-

i read more information.. seems that it has more to do with immunology.. but what does it have to do with intelligence?

ok, we might as well as be honest with you and tell you that you have no idea what a chromosome is. And its a lot more than just a fancy name for genes.

It kinda goes like this:

Lots Expressed DNA BP = either intron/exon

Lots of spliced exons = Transcribed

Transcribed Exons can lead to either proteins (When translated) or functional RNA

Lots of Spliced exons + introns = Chromosome

Yes a chromosome is a piece of DNA that holds genetic information, however it affects everything ranging from how you look to what color your poop is (not verified, :P) . Its not just exclusively limited to immunology, and immunology has very low pertinence to intelligence AFAIK. In fact its almost impossible to draw a direct link to intelligence on the basis of one gene. And actually you can't even directly link genetics to intelligence, as the environment plays a role as well.

First of all, where ever you found that is probably just a very small piece of the intelligence puzzle. Where did you find it? was it an abstract? full text? what journal was in? was it peer-reviewed? Has it been cited?

It was in my psychology text for class. I raised an eye and become ultra curious in the validity of their statement about chromosome 6. However, it seems from this thread that it was utter crap and should have been omitted from the book.

the short arm of chromosome 6 contains most of the genes for the MHC protien, which plays an inportant role in the immune system, hence the link between chromosome 6 and the immune system.

I have heard that a few genes on chromosome 6 are linked to humans' impressive mental abilities, but it was in a sci-fi book, and i have no idea wether it was based on fact.

I was reading some psychological literature when I came across something that was discovered recently: Chromosome 6.

I'm sorry - no offense, but that's hilarious. I think that some researchers just came out with the wheel too.

First I don't know whether chromosome 6 is related to intelligent, but I'd like to say that, if there's really some relations, those genes almost can't be functioned by themselves, genetic factors have to cooperate with environmental factors to work out the performance.

Well saying it has something to do with immunology is sort of the narrow view of it--yes part of it encodes for immunological proteins but a chromosome is the physical carrier of the genetic code and inheritance.

I'm sorry - no offense, but that's hilarious. I think that some researchers just came out with the wheel too.

I think they meant that dicoveries were made about Chromosome 6, not that its existance was first noted.

This whole idea of intelligence being encoded by genes is highlighted the nature vs. nuture debate which is an ongoing scientific feud about what shapes us the most: genes or environment? Ridley in his book, Genome, hypothesizes that Chromosome 6 may have a connection but it is up for debate. If there is a link it would be on gene IGF2R, which some scientists say is in "genius" people but not "normal ones".

Link: http://flysci.com/genome/genome_6.asp

I personally think genes have some sway over intelligence (and other traits), but environment can shape that significantly. my view on the subject is nature via nurture. That means genetic predispositions will be highlighted via a good environmental base.