Ayurveda : Boon to mankind

Green

HEllo all

I am a student of alternative healing practices.My favourite is the indian system of Ayurveda which was developed by the ancients and has proven to be a very useful supplement to modern medical science.

It uses natures processes as the basis for its study.

Ayurveda (आयुर्वेद Sanskrit: ayu—life; veda—knowledge of) or ayurvedic medicine is a comprehensive system of medicine, more than 2,000 years old and based on a holistic approach rooted in Vedic culture.

I would like you to post your views on the features,merits and demerits of this ancient science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayurveda PLease read here for more info!!

I would appreciate some debate on the demerits of ayurveda.

It is said to have solutions for AIDS. But the manuscrtipts are missing!!
Any solution for any virus, from HIV to the common cold would be revolutionary and if anyone honestly belived they found it, they wouldn't have "mislaid" the manuscripts.

one more thing ........it has solution to may diseases still missing in modern medicines. It is said to have solutions for AIDS. But the manuscrtipts are missing!!

Then it is of no more use than a system that never had such manuscripts, is it?

Firstly these manuscripts are written in an ancient language which was lost hundreds of years ago.One must understand that Ayurveda is an ancient art and must not be regarded as #QUACKERY# because of the various benefits it has supplied to modern science.

I would please request you not to simply condemn it because it is an ancient technique.

Yes.There is plenty of evidence for the practice of Ayurveda.

It provides for many proven purgation methods.

Removal of ulcer etc.

Lots has been uncovered in the field of digestive cleansing.

Many of the manuscripts had been burned by the british during their rule in india .Thus ayurveda has been negatively advertised across the globe by the british.

Because those that u call #QUACKS# had actually been able to cure things that the british couldnt.

It has also provided curing methods for psychological illness.

I have read it, that`s why I put it in here.

as for being "Sceptical" you say that like it`s a Bad thing!?

think about it, your child needs medical help urgently, where are you going to take them for treatment...?

no... I didn`t think so either!

Yes, blah blah blah. All you have done is claim stuff. I can claim stuff too. Hi, I'm Elvis. I went into hiding all those years ago, and I'm really a space alien.

What I want is *evidence*. Real, legitimate, properly-done medical studies that show this method has a detectable effect beyond placebo. If all you can do is trot out claims of ancient wisdom without any proof, you're gonna stay in psuedoscience where you belong.

Mokele

I suggest you go to the link I have supplied above and u can also visit

http://www.himalayahealthcare.com studies are shown as well.

And YT quackery is fake medicine.Ayurveda is not!It is ancient and hence does not have some techniques that we now do have.BUT it has helped modern science greatly.Many modern doctors also suggest usage of certain ayurvedic items.

Please check the links.

Here is an example of a natural Ayurvedic cure for

Diarrhea

This condition responds well to the following treatment. Paste procured by rubbing dry bel fruit 15-20 times in water.

# Powder of the bel fruit 25 mg. should be mixed with honey and should be given 3-4 times a day.

You can also check out this site

http://www.goodhealthnyou.com/alternative/ayurveda1.php3

And Yt I didnt mean read the post I meant the page which was linked

Firstly these manuscripts are written in an ancient language which was lost hundreds of years ago.

What's your point?

One must understand that Ayurveda is an ancient art and must not be regarded as #QUACKERY# because of the various benefits it has supplied to modern science.

Such as?

I would please request you not to simply condemn it because it is an ancient technique.

It's nothing to do with its age. It's to do with the unsupported claims you make, e.g. "it is said to have solutions for AIDS" (but the manuscripts are missing). Well, if the manuscripts are missing, then it cannot in fact be said to have solutions for AIDS, now can it?

Follow my logic here. The AIDS syndrome (a/w the HIV virus) has only been around since the early 80s? Somewhere around there. This being the case, the length of time Ayurveda has been around and the fact that the manuscripts "are written in an ancient language which was lost hundreds of years ago" (but are missing), suggests that Ayurveda produced 'solutions' for a condition that didn't even exist? Can you understand our scepticism yet?

Yes.There is plenty of evidence for the practice of Ayurveda.

It provides for many proven purgation methods.

Removal of ulcer etc.

Show us, by which I mean present the relevant articles, don't just direct us to a site which presents hundreds of animal studies with (in some cases) ambiguous results and titled by the substance rather than the condition.

Lots has been uncovered in the field of digestive cleansing.

What?

Many of the manuscripts had been burned by the british during their rule in india .Thus ayurveda has been negatively advertised across the globe by the british.

Ah...I see, it's our fault.

Because those that u call #QUACKS# had actually been able to cure things that the british couldnt.

Such as?

It has also provided curing methods for psychological illness.

Such as?

In reply to Glider's Post :

Originally Posted by Green

Firstly these manuscripts are written in an ancient language which was lost hundreds of years ago.

What's your point?

This ancient language was lost.Therefore there is a lack of ability to translate these ancient texts.The idea that Ayurveda provides a cure for AIDS is absolutely false.

This was an idea which has been falsely communicated.

Ayurveda has also stated various diseases that are incurable.

These texts have also been written in a very different grammatical; tone than what is comprhendable by the translators .

Ayurved HAS now been approved by the Royal Society of medical science and clinics have been set up in EUROPE and insurance in britain PAys.

Here is a relevant article for those who just want a jist of the whole thing

http://www.lifepositive.com/Body/ayurveda/ayurveda-India.asp

There is also a cure for Parkinsons

http://www.parkinson.ca/board/messages/2579.html

The All India Institute of Medical Sciences recently held a conference where doctors from around the world discussed the efficacy of Ayurvedic drugs in relation to a failing heart. The medical fraternity agreed that India's ancient stream of medicine has some miracle cures for cardio-vascular diseases

Go here for proof

http://www.the-south-asian.com/June2001/Heart_and_Ayurveda.htm

Here are the psychological treatments

http://www.theraj.com/psych/

Originally Posted by Green

I would like you to post your views on the features,merits and demerits of this ancient science.

I support Ayurveda as a complimental addition to conventional medicine.

Ayurveda foundations have never claimed to have cure all's for everything.

They simply believe that with certain measures; herbs, yoga, cleansing etc. one will eventually add to the over-all health of ones total well-being.

Ayurveda's goal is to improve health and increase longevity.

The integration of Ayurveda with modern medicine, yoga, Jyotish (Vedic astrology), other healing disciplines, and the individual Self to bring about total health, awareness, and harmony.

http://www.ayurveda.com/about/index.html

Can you combine Ayurveda with conventional medicine?

Of Course. No other medical approach comes as close to Western medicine when it comes to diagnostic techniques, genetic reserach, and other highly technological areas of science. You would not go to an Ayurvedic health practitioner in an acute health crisis. You would go to the western-trained practitioner. http://www.ayurveda.net.nz/site/page_faq/

It should also be noted that The National Institute of Ayurvedic Medicine

was founded by Scott Gerson, M.D., Ph.D., who is also the Clinical Assistant Professor at New York Medical College in the Department of Community and Preventive Medicine. http://niam.com/corp-web/index.htm

As far as AIDS goes, Ayurveda practices can help at keeping the immunity at it's highest level with the help of; Herbs, about 25% of conventional pharmaceuticals include synthetic forms of herbs. Yoga, physical and psychological elements are recognized to contribute to disease.Detoxification and Cleansing, cleansing rids the body of toxins, allowing the organs and body systems to rejuvenate themselves naturally.

Exercise, helpful in rejuvenating the immune system and mental state.

On a final note, a friend of mine practices Ayurveda. He hasn't been sick in 21 years. Not so much as a cold. He also looks like he's 25, far from his true age of 45. However, when he broke his leg, he went to the hospital.

I believe the two compliment each other.

In reply to Glider's Post :

This ancient language was lost.Therefore there is a lack of ability to translate these ancient texts.The idea that Ayurveda provides a cure for AIDS is absolutely false.

This was an idea which has been falsely communicated.

Ayurveda has also stated various diseases that are incurable.

These texts have also been written in a very different grammatical; tone than what is comprhendable by the translators .

Ayurved HAS now been approved by the Royal Society of medical science and clinics have been set up in EUROPE and insurance in britain PAys.

Here is a relevant article for those who just want a jist of the whole thing

http://www.lifepositive.com/Body/ayurveda/ayurveda-India.asp

I read it. Here's an interesting section:

"Besides' date=' private enterprise is active in what can be called the Kerala school of ayurveda. The result is the blossoming of panchkarma clinics and hospitals al lover India. The panchkarma are the five internal cleansing procedures akin to the six in yoga. They are: vasti (enema), vamana (vomiting), virechana (purgation), nasya (application of herbal preparations through the nostrils), and rakta moksha (therapeutic release of toxic blood).[/i']"

Enema, vomiting, herbal inhalations and bleeding. Yep. That should help.

There is also a cure for Parkinsons

http://www.parkinson.ca/board/messages/2579.html

Here's the section(s):

"Through a combination of intensive research, Ayurvedic theory and the clinical experiences at the Sharma Clinic, Dr. Mukesh Paneri has come up with formulas and drugs to cure Parkinson's disease. The drugs used in western medicine, mainly Levadopa, has strong side effects like cramps, nausea, constipation, lack of bladder control, interference with memory, changes in blood pressure, explosive diarrhea, dry itchy skin, dry eyes, and on and off effects, interfering with movement. The herbal medicines of Dr. Paneri have very minor effects like occasional constipation, and mild dizzy spells in the early phase of treatment. Unlike western medicine, Dr. Paneri's medicines have cured patients from this disease. His medicines are taken along with western medicines, with gradual phasing out of western medicine. Referrals from patients he has treated and is treating around the world, are available through Dr. Paneri. First improvements are usually seen within 3 to 4 months and 1 to 3 years later, the disease disappears 90% to 99%. The medicines do not have to be taken again." and "Dr. Paneri's treatment restores the natural balance of the patient's body. Through a well-defined regimen of herbal medicine, diet, exercise and body biofeedback, the body is able to regenerate its capacity for normal movement."

If this were true, I promise you we would have heard about it. There would have been a stampede of all countries (not just the evil British), to Dr. Paneri's door. Parkinson's is a degenerative condition resulting from the progressive destruction of DA cells on the substantia nigra. It can be controlled for a while, but there is, as yet, no cure. The most successful treatment to date has been with foetal cell transplants.

The All India Institute of Medical Sciences recently held a conference where doctors from around the world discussed the efficacy of Ayurvedic drugs in relation to a failing heart. The medical fraternity agreed that India's ancient stream of medicine has some miracle cures for cardio-vascular diseases

Go here for proof

http://www.the-south-asian.com/June2001/Heart_and_Ayurveda.htm

Interesting bits:

"Cardiovascular problems have been dealt with at length in Ayurveda, which describes hridaya (heart) as a body organ governing emotions and circulating blood to keep a person alive and healthy."

Well, we know that 50% of that statement is rubbish. Most of this page deals with anecdotal evidence.

However:

"Plants have contributed immensely in the development of certain allopathic cardiac medicines. Many modern cardiac drugs like dioxin, digitalis purpurea, digitalis lanata, strephanthus gratus, thevetia neriifolia, are based on plant extracts. So why haven't Ayurvedic drugs like Terminalia Arjuna become as popular since they too are based primarily on plant extract?

Prof S.D. Seth formerly head of Department of Pharmacology at AIIMS and now emeritus scientist at the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), has an answer. He says, " The problem is that Ayurveda has never submitted itself to clinical tests and hence it has been ignored by the medical community."

So, Ayurveda has never submitted itself to clinical testing necessary for any kind of validation, and yet:

"Maharishi Kaviraj Nanak Chand Sharma does not agree that a lack of clinical evaluation has left Ayurveda in the cold. He blames both the British rulers and successive Indian governments for the sorry state of affairs."

Somehow it's our fault?

Here are the psychological treatments

http://www.theraj.com/psych/

"The buildup of chemical imbalances in the physiology can create psychological imbalance. These impurities often aggregate due to poor diet, weak digestion and blocked elimination. According to Ayurveda, psychological disturbances start when fundamental imbalances develop in the deepest level of physiological functioning, the biological intelligence that controls all bodily processes. Biological intelligence has three divisions called Vata, Pitta and Kapha. When Vata is imbalanced a person becomes prone to anxiety, fear, mental instability and insomnia. When Pitta is imbalanced the individual becomes prone to anger and irritability. When Kapha is imbalanced the person is prone to lethargy and depression."

So this is saying that psychopathologies can be attributed to poor diet, weak digestion and/or constipation? Oh please!

As far as AIDS goes' date=' Ayurveda practices can help at keeping the immunity at it's highest level with the help of; [b']Herbs,[/b] about 25% of conventional pharmaceuticals include synthetic forms of herbs. Yoga, physical and psychological elements are recognized to contribute to disease.Detoxification and Cleansing, cleansing rids the body of toxins, allowing the organs and body systems to rejuvenate themselves naturally.

Exercise, helpful in rejuvenating the immune system and mental state.

But as the HIV virus attacks the immune system, knocking out T-cells, it doesn't really matter what shape your immune system is in to begin with.

On a final note, a friend of mine practices Ayurveda. He hasn't been sick in 21 years. Not so much as a cold. He also looks like he's 25, far from his true age of 45. However, when he broke his leg, he went to the hospital.

I believe the two compliment each other.

It's funny your should say that. I wear a silver eagle pendent to protect me against being eaten to death by eagles. As I've never been eaten to death by eagles, it must work! (it's actually a phoenix, but don't tell the eagles!).

It's funny you should say that. I wear a silver eagle pendent to protect me against being eaten to death by eagles. As I've never been eaten to death by eagles, it must work! (it's actually a phoenix, but don't tell the eagles!).
I will trade you that pendant for my anit-tiger rock.

I will trade you that pendant for my anit-tiger rock.

fascinating that you say that, you`ve unwittingly illustrated a point here :)

he then says no, my pendant is far too powerfull, I want more than just your "stone", you beleive in this pendants "power" and comply, then further you share this story with your people about how much you traded for it and about its super magik etc....

a Legend is borne.

people search for many centuries after you and your tribe are long gone, endowing this "mystical amulet" with all sorts of non existant powers, ok... it doesn`t have to be a pendant :)

but MAYBE it could be a manuscript for a cure that plagues your villiage , but for now is long lost...

Hmmm, I wonder :)