Right-handedness

blike

Blike - Asbolutely.

Your handedness is almost COMPLETELY linked to genetics.

There is but a small room for change unless you had one of each in parents.......

The reason why?

This could be many things of which we would never be able to discover:

1. A mutation that was beneficial. Remember our bodies are not symmetrical - it could have something to do with excess movement of the left arm changing the experience of the human heart in a negative manner.

2. It could be adaptive - perhaps usage of the right hand worked better against competitiors who would in turn be assymetrically in interactions.

3. Thirdly, it could be part of natrual selection in mating. Remember there sometimes isi 100% no reasoning behind why mates look for certain characteristics.

One could look at the latter by studying relationship, sex, and ssuccessfull mating rates of both handednesses........ but this would prove nothing.

Make sense?

Leonard Shlain's THE ALPHABET VERSUS THE GODDESS... is a most important read, in my personal opinion.

He seems to have discovered no direct relationship between handedness and left- or right-brain dominance, as his thesis would have suggested would exist.

Can't recall exactly what he said except that it seems to be primarily a cultural bias in favor of right-handedness.

However, I wonder if he is correct, for all of the babes I have ever gotten close to were left handed, and they counterbalanced me very nicely with more of the idealism of gestalt thinking characteristic of right-hemispheric dominance.

As for the notion of something being genetic, I find those very spurious sorts of assumptions very easily made in our times.

As with another link or thread here, I am primarily here about homeopathy.

Therefore, I will be unlikely to see any responses, but I will be at links begun by TimOkay.

Originally posted by Hahnemannian444

However, I wonder if he is correct, for all of the babes I have ever gotten close to were left handed, and they counterbalanced me very nicely with more of the idealism of gestalt thinking characteristic of right-hemispheric dominance.

i never got that;

how is there a right-hemisphere?

i understand there's a northern & southern one...but right?

I read in the news-paper that it's about 20-30% and that it's probably close to 50% but due to the fact that they are encouraged to use their right hand it is that low.

Although that forced changing of hand can lead to developing problems.

I`m both handed myself, ambidexterous, Father right handed, Mother left handed, so there maybe a genetic link?

A few points of interest: the word "Dexter" is old Roman for "Right handedness"

the word for "Left handedness" is called "Sinister"

just thought I`de share that bit of useless info :)

yep, as I said, I used to be left-handed, both parents are right handed, my brother's parent's are both right-handed as well (his dad is different:-p)

and those communist nazi teachers in grade school converted me to a righty;)

good thing he kept his left-hand for writing..

blike - nearly EVERYTHING is genetic AND environment.

The important part is this:

(And this is information DIRECTLY from my own published studies)

1. Genes can control ones handedness BEYOND any environmental factors

2. Environmental factors cannot overrule genes in all cases

3. Genes have the stronger influence by over 80% of cases

Journals that cost a GREAT deal of money.

Unless you go to a library.

Check out some of the 2002 issues of the Brain Science Foundation Journal (not the B.S.F. medical journal, the non-medical journal.)

I won't give you my name here, but my initials are B.P. and last name is italian, I had perhaps 7 articles in the 6 publications that year.

I go to a Category 1 research institution, I promise you I have full access to every journal imaginable. Now give me the issues and articles that have your research in them. And furthermore, the Brain Science Foundation apparently does not have its own research journal, as every article linked to from its website are published in other journals.

I don't mind if one of you personally goes to read the articles.

I just don't like to post my name when there's things like google that will find it.

I must admit I have a bit of OCD and some paranoia, sorry.

I don't mind if you get it offline, I hope you understand.

Let me see what I can find online, I'm very sick though and barely spend many hours awake, my apoligies.

I am supposed to be "better" in 2 to 3 weeks.

Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

I think a better question is 'Why do you refuse to give your name, then give instructions on how to find out what it is?'

Good question. Another one is; if you wanted to retain your anonymity, why didn't you just cite the author in the third party? There would have been no grounds for anybody to link the authors' name with you. In fact, there still aren't.

Here he goes again - three trolls in less than 60 seconds - how did you get to be a mod?

You've so far had nothing to say in 3 entire columns and yet managed to post too much.

This is prime examples of the "avoid the truth" flight or fright reaction of mythopaths.....

...this is why us critical thinkers have to play janitor on the planet.