Sodium Tiiodide, Nitrogen Triiodide?

RyanJ

If someone really wanted to know how to make it, they could look it up in less than a minute.

Very true but it still violates the forum policy and I don't fancy getting a warning :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Hehe. Well when I was into the 'kewl l337-ness' of the compound I thought it was the neatest thing on earth and made gobs and gobs of it. After a while, it really loses its charm. The only fun thing I ever did with it was mix some glucose into the drying compound to attract bugs with it. It was kind of funny hearing the bugs get covered in the NI3, then flying away, then going pow. :D

Hehe. Well when I was into the 'kewl l337-ness' of the compound I thought it was the neatest thing on earth and made gobs and gobs of it. After a while, it really loses its charm. The only fun thing I ever did with it was mix some glucose into the drying compound to attract bugs with it. It was kind of funny hearing the bugs get covered in the NI3, then flying away, then going pow. :D

Thart sounds like fun... Do the samething and put it by an ants nest.... LOL... Na, its not funny stuff, not unless you treat it with respect and care anyway :)

Ryan Jones

I'll just state again that the stuff is pretty overrated. I think a good analogy for NI3 is to say that it's similar to beer. When you're told that you're not allowed to use it or have it, then it's the only thing you want to do. You'll do anything to get a hold of it. All you see are good things about it and you think that it's the greatest stuff on earth. Then once you finally do make contact with it, you realize that it's not nearly what it's cracked up to be. It's not as 'fun' and 'kewl' as everyone had made it out to be, and in reality you feel as if you've wasted your time with it. In addition, people seem to downplay the danger of it and just want more, more, more. Pretty soon, these people wind up in the ER thanks to too much of the stuff being used.

Yes there are those who will never grow up and will always think that having a ton of it at once is AWESOME, but most people will wisen up and realize that it's nothing special and that there are better things out there to waste their time on.

I have a question about Nitrogen Triiodide as well. I saw a video of someone detonating some. It was on a ring stand. They used a FEATHER to detonate it. So my question is, How could that NI3 even be PLACED on the ring stand. Very carefullly doesn't cut it for some reason, seeing as the touch of a feather will set it off ;)

When NI3 is wet it is more stable so they place on the ring stand when it's wet then when it dries it can be detonated!

NI3 is very powerful, it doesn't take really that much to blow you into a million pieces!:eek::cool: