Why

6431hoho

Why is it that when I see pointy objects I have to push and cover my bone that's between my two eyes (upper nose bone?)? Is there any way for me to stop doing it? Lol, even writing and seeing the words "pointy objects" makes me do it.

Sounds like you have OCD, obsessive compusive disorder. But if that's all you do, then either you have a really, really mild case, or you are just anal-retentive and that happens to be a habit of yours. If it's just a habit, you can probabily condition yourself by looking at pointy objects and not doing what you do. If it's OCD, see a professional, if you really need to stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I get exactly the same thing...even to the point (no pun intended) that if I watch, say a sword fight on TV, I need to press between my forehead and nose (on the indent.) This urge isn't always present, but I've noticed it more when I'm tired.

I kind of attributed it to having the fear that the pointy object will hit me 'right between the eyes' but surely I'd cover my whole face or head if this was an irrational fear of getting hit in the face...so I rejected that idea. I'm finding it hard to relate this with a compulsive disorder...the indent almost tingles.

However I would say I'm a perfectionist when it comes to any creative pursuits. I also have a habit of arranging paper on my desk so it's perfectly in line with the edges of the desk...the same too when arranging my workspace in windows. However I can consciously ignore these urges, and in these cases I am being compulsive, but I see this as a gift when it comes to drawing or writing music.

Oh, hm, maybe there is a physical aspect to it then. Apparently it takes about a month (if I remember correctly) for habits to be ingrained/removed, though, so maybe you just need to not do it for longer? :confused:

Of course, if it's not an inconvenience (and it doesn't sound like it is at all) it's probably not worth the effort of removing the habit.

I have the same feeling about sharp objects, but the biggest problem I have is to lower my chin and cover my neck with my hand when I see someones neck getting slit on tv. I've never been able to break the habit. Maybe this is some form of protecting our weak spots. After seeing pointy objects we have to make sure all our bases are covered...I don't know...I could never explain it...:)

Oh' date=' hm, maybe there is a physical aspect to it then. Apparently it takes about a month (if I remember correctly) for habits to be ingrained/removed, though, so maybe you just need to not do it for longer? :confused:

Of course, if it's not an inconvenience (and it doesn't sound like it is at all) it's probably not worth the effort of removing the habit.[/quote']

I'll give it a go (this, whatever it is, has been present for several years), and it's hard to describe exactly the sensation I'm feeling to make me press between my eyes.

It becomes an inconvenience if I'm in public...actually I remember getting it a few times when I've been really tired on the way to work on the bus...no pointy objects in sight. Though pointy objects can really set it off, sometimes I have to press my palm really hard on the area until it stops ??? I'm more puzzled by this the more I think about it.

hmm I get this too.. I dont always have the urge to cover up that area' date=' but it is certainly from fear of it hitting you there...

I do have a mild signs of OCD, so it goes along with that...[/quote']

But why this specific area...I take it you press between your eyes. If it was fear of getting hit, then surely you'd cover something more vulnerable like your eyes or cover your face. It seems strange that you're now the third person that applies pressure on this specific point ?

I guess we need a few people who have OCD that don't experience this odd habit, or vice versa...I'm still unclear how the two are connected. It's a sensation that occurs like an itch (when I'm tired it happens), rather than an obssesive compulsion.