Sex and Violence in America

IMI

I find it odd that somehow, in America, media portrayals of violence have become more acceptable than those of sex.

Death and dismemberment is a regular occurence on television. Movies containing violence are often rated merely PG-13.

Nudity, on the other hand, is never shown on television. Movies that merely show a woman's breasts are automatically rated R. If it is brief enough it might make PG-13 but usually not.

And we wonder why we have become such a violent society. Personally, I'll take breasts over guns any day ;)

Guest TjsTjs

It's moral hypocrisy for ya!

Blame it on organized religion.

After all it perpetuates 90% of the contradictions in our society.

Well actually you do see a significant amount of nudity on TV, i guess not fully, but they take it to the limit. But i do agree with you that its pretty backward. Violence sucks, but i know that i would be looked down on a lot more for seeing a movie with nudity than one with excessive amounts of violence.

true, but a lot of people get worked up even over fake violence because it does not become popular unless it's super real

personally I'd rather see a movie with comedy than either of the afore-mentioned:-p

although comedy and mild violence have come together to make some cool movies.. and the classics are always classic, no matter what the content

Originally posted by IMI

I have to agree with you there. Organized religion has always been a major cause of most the worlds problems.

I don't know, a good bit of jingoistic patriotism and prejudice are also strong contributing factors imho.

:)

Originally posted by Intelligence

You guys aren't apparently seeing a big point here.

In movies violence is fake - and known to be fake.

Nudity is ALWAYS real.

Duh!

Media portrayal of violence is realistic enough. It desensitizes us to the effects of violence. It glamorizes violence and criminal lifestyles.

Nudity, while always "real", is not harmful by itself. In fact, it may not always be real. They might be fake ;)

Thus far in this thread we have only focused on the negative effects of our acceptance of media portrayed violence. We haven't even discussed negative effects of stigmatizing sex and nudity.

• 4 months later...
matter said in post #13 :

I'm getting sick of seeing violence on television. I've seen too many real shootings on T.V. recently and it's starting to turn my stomach. I don't wanna see anybody get shot anymore.

I must agree with ya there, although I do Special Effects work for video (and shootings are part of that work on occasion) I still always have this little voice at the back of my head saying "Are you sure you should be doing this ?"

OK, it`s all done in the cold light of day and we all KNOW it`s trickery and usualy have a good time doing these shoots, but I`de sooner see Babes than Bullets anyday! :)

I grew up watching violent action movies (the predator, robocop, total recall, the terminator etc) and I don't have any new found hatred for fake violence. It just seems in the last few months I've seen way too many people die on camera. I've seen a documentary on the history channel where a man and a woman were shot by police but while they were injured, they commited murder-suicide. On the news I've seen that crazy bastard shoot that lawyer outside the courthouse (the lawyer lived.) In that movie Bowling for Columbine I saw atleast 5 people die by gunfire. On another documentary I saw someone getting shot in the street. On a news documentary I saw a woman get executed by AK-47 in Taliban controlled Afghanistan. On some shock value TV program I saw an attempted murder by a hitman on an undercover narcotics agent. The hitman was a lousy shot, but agents stormed in from the neighboring room and shot the hitman to death. I just remembered I was watching a CNN documentary about the effect killing the enemy has on U.S. soldiers, and they had video of soldiers shooting and killing an Iraqi fighter. That's 11 gun deaths I've seen on TV news programs and one attempted murder. I feel very fatigued emotionally over the whole gun issue, and the fact that 11,000 so people are killed by guns in the U.S. every year. It's just very tiring.

So please continue your work YT because I'd rather lose myself in the world of movie violence than watch the real shootings. I love films though. Hell I kinda wanna get shot to death in a movie myself. Those squibs are cool.