Does light have mass...?

RyanJ

Assertion: Mass is a closed, balanced particle (core and shell) of opposite polarity "energies" adjusting its internal distance at resonance frequency featuring asymptotic freedom.

The "Photon" is circumferencing "energies" (same amount as mass particle and featuring asymptotic freedom but not resonating), free to move and not binding to other particles. Rotating frequency and direction depends on release factors. Observed as wave.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Light cant have a mass becasue if it is moving at 'c' then that is impossible. But then' date=' how is light affected by gravity if it has no mass. It cant have a mass if it moves at 'c'..?

? ?

?[/quote']

If light is completely non-physical, in the sense that it has no mass, only energy, it would seem difficult to impart a directional force on a physical object. If a photon exists only as energy, how does an absorbing body, say a solar sail, know to MOVE as opposed to simply absorbing energy? With no physical component, it would seem that the sail would simply get hot.

And why do you think that gravity can only affect mass? I think we've concluded that it does affect mass, but not that it ONLY affects mass. I could be wrong on that one, but I've never heard it stated in that way.

Alternatively, do we know that gravity affects photons? I know that experiments have concluded that light is bent in the vicinity of large gravitational fields (stars), but don't those bodies also possess large magnetic fields? Has it been determined that it is, in fact, the gravitational field that is responsible for the bending?

If light is completely non-physical, in the sense that it has no mass, only energy, it would seem difficult to impart a directional force on a physical object. If a photon exists only as energy, how does an absorbing body, say a solar sail, know to MOVE as opposed to simply absorbing energy? With no physical component, it would seem that the sail would simply get hot.

... unless momentum is transferred, too.

Alternatively, do we know that gravity affects photons?

Yep

I know that experiments have concluded that light is bent in the vicinity of large gravitational fields (stars), ...

Correct

... but don't those bodies also possess large magnetic fields?

Most probably not. I´d have never heard of people adjusting lasers because of earth´s magnetic field.

Has it been determined that it is, in fact, the gravitational field that is responsible for the bending?

What else? To my knowledge, photons do not interact with electromagnetic fields which arises the following question:

@Severian: What is photon-photon scattering? Is it some indirect scattering like [math] (\gamma \rightarrow q \bar q) \, \gamma \rightarrow (q \bar q \rightarrow \gamma) \, \gamma [/math] scattering, some other SM mechanism or some exotic BSM physics?

Light cant have a mass becasue if it is moving at 'c' then that is impossible. But then' date=' how is light affected by gravity if it has no mass. It cant have a mass if it moves at 'c'..?

? ?

?[/quote']

It doesn't have mass.

According to General Relativity gravity warps space time.

'Photons travel in straight lines' is true, but maybe putting it more clearly 'photons take the shortest path between two points'.

These two statements are the answer to your question. When there is gravity space-time itself is warped and bent. Photons will follow the curvature of space-time as that is the shortest path available.

There are several threads on this, use the search function.

Hmmm... I don`t get it? it has no Mass (I accept that 100%) it has Speed (I accept that also)' date=' so what actulay "Hits" and shoves it forwards to move?

what`s the "interaction" if that`s the right word?

it feels like I`m accepting "Facts" without any basis, so therefore it must be a limitation on my part as a Knowledge Gap.[/quote']

not sure if this was right, but I think the energy of the photon kicks off some electrons, and as electrons have mass that is what moves the object...

probably not right, but its sounds right lol

@Severian: What is photon-photon scattering? Is it some indirect scattering like [math] (\gamma \rightarrow q \bar q) \' date=' \gamma \rightarrow (q \bar q \rightarrow \gamma) \, \gamma [/math'] scattering, some other SM mechanism or some exotic BSM physics?

It is this. The solid line is an electron 9or really any charged particle, while the wavy line is the photon.

photonscattering9bm.png

Alternatively, do we know that gravity affects photons? I know that experiments have concluded that light is bent in the vicinity of large gravitational fields (stars), but don't those bodies also possess large magnetic fields? Has it been determined that it is, in fact, the gravitational field that is responsible for the bending?

It can be separately tested whether magnetic fields affect photons.