Stalking dementia

NSX

Stalking dementia

TYLER HAMILTON

TECHNOLOGY REPORTER

It begins with forgotten words and acquaintances, fragmented sentences and broken trains of thought.

In its more advanced stages, close family members and daily surroundings become lost in a haze of confusion, to the point where even routine tasks are a challenge and 24-hour care is required.

The person within the individual fades away. The emotional and financial burdens on families grow unbearable as memory loss, depression and paranoia draw loved ones into full-scale dementia.

More than five million people across North American have Alzheimer's disease, with up to a million new patients diagnosed each year. The number is expected to surge over the next two decades as baby boomers reach retirement.

What's clear is that existing drugs aren't doing the trick. Aricept, the most popular Alzheimer's drug, slows down the disease for six to eight months — slightly postponing the inevitable. It also brings with it a host of horrible side effects, from severe headaches and nausea to liver damage.

GB Therapeutics, established in 1997 by five scientists from Queen's University, plans to raise the bar significantly. The company has chemically altered the properties of nitric oxide, a gaseous derivative of nitroglycerine, to create molecules called "smart nitrates" that improve communications between neurons.

Studies in animals show that these molecules are capable of unlocking our memories for about two to three years — at least twice as long as Aricept. Rats with untreated brain lesions regained almost 100 per cent of their memory when given a dose. But, unlike Aricept, the molecules have been engineered to eliminate the toxic side effects.

Marengère is impressed with the idea that nitric oxide, used for 130 years to treat angina, can be re-orchestrated as a non-toxic defender against all sorts of dementias, including epilepsy and Parkinson's disease. "It's basically a new spin on a very old chemistry."

Full Article at: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1059948906499

I read somewhere that Aluminium is also a contributor to demetia, and foods containing high levels of it, Tea being one of them, increases the incidence amongst heavy consumers of these foods? Is that theory still current?

Originally posted by YT2095

I read somewhere that Aluminium is also a contributor to demetia, and foods containing high levels of it, Tea being one of them, increases the incidence amongst heavy consumers of these foods? Is that theory still current?

I'm not sure myself; I haven't heard of that.

Is that specific to any types of tea? or tea in general?

Chinese tea (Camellia sinensis) still contains alkaloids and Theophylline. I remember an article referring to the effect that tea could have on the digestive systems ability to break down iron in the diet, leaving unhealthy traces in the blood and digestive system. I'm not sure if that's healthy :-(

edit:- I'vejust been told I'm a tea bashing coffee propagandist . :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
YT2095 said in post #3 :

This theory was based upon post mortem studies of the brains of Alzheimers' patients. These studies found aluminium associated with the neuronal plaques (small areas of scarring) associated with Alzheimers'; each plaque has a tiny deposit of aluminium at its centre. However, I believe (though I'm not certain) that more recent research has shown that the aluminium deposits are a function of the pathological process, rather than an aetiological factor, i.e. it's the disease which results in the aluminium deposits, rather than aluminium causing the disease.

""I believe (though I'm not certain) that more recent research has shown that the aluminium deposits are a function of the pathological process, rather than an aetiological factor, i.e. it's the disease which results in the aluminium deposits, rather than aluminium causing the disease. ""

I think your right, I have a medicine here called Aludrox it`s for bad acid/heartburn, it`s basicly a suspension of aluminium hydroxide Al(OH)3, which in turn would become aluminium chloride AlCl3 and water on reaching stomach acid HCl(aq). AlCl3 being soluable could get into the bloodstream I assume? so If they can sell this medicine in a high street chemists, It would be a safe bet that the alu hasn`t any effect. although it can also be used to lower blood phosphates? whatever that does I don`t know? I think that`s another one for you Glider :)