Ester Experiments :)

YT2095

Re KMnO4 and methanol-

"just mix the two' date=' maybe heat a little. i dont think heat is required. you'll end up with a precipitate. just gravity filter"

I don't think that's a good idea. Mixing solutions of the 2 in water is a safer bet.[/quote']

In my experience, mixing [math]KMnO_{4}[/math] and methylated spirits will cause the mixture to ignite.

Does anyone know how dimethyl methylphosphonate is produced industrially (I think mostly as a flame retardant)?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

my Latest is trying to make Phenyl Oxalate ester.

sadly I have no Phenol :(

the closest I have is Catechol and Hydroquinone.

after that, p-Dichlorobenzene, Methyl benzene, Benzoic acid and Trinitro Phenol. and I think almost every chemist has pure ASA in a jar too.

anyone have any ideas how I might be able to pull this off using these precursors for the Phenol side?

I have the Oxalic acid and all the other things likely to be required.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
my Latest is trying to make Phenyl Oxalate ester.

sadly I have no Phenol :(

the closest I have is Catechol and Hydroquinone.

after that, p-Dichlorobenzene, Methyl benzene, Benzoic acid and Trinitro Phenol. and I think almost every chemist has pure ASA in a jar too.

anyone have any ideas how I might be able to pull this off using these precursors for the Phenol side?

I have the Oxalic acid and all the other things likely to be required.

Making some glow sticks are you yt? (if your not and that made me sound like an idiot it glows when you add h2o2)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

When you submit a new post, it bumps that discussion thread to the top of the forum in which it resides, and also presents it on the "Today's Posts" search which many members use. In short, people will see this. Go ahead and ask your specific questions, and if someone knows the answers, they will share them with you. Good luck on the project, and welcome to SFN. :)