powdered aluminum

rakuenso

Aluminum is a HELLUVA lot more reactive than lead is. As a result, the particles are so fine that they immediately react with oxygen and you form aluminum oxide instead of aluminum metal. Lead metal is non-reactive enough where the lead metal that's formed won't oxidize immediately.

Aluminum is a HELLUVA lot more reactive than lead is. As a result, the particles are so fine that they immediately react with oxygen and you form aluminum oxide instead of aluminum metal. Lead metal is non-reactive enough where the lead metal that's formed won't oxidize immediately.

Given this explanation, you could try in vacuum or in an inert atmosphere, where there is no oxygen.

I think it is even stronger. Even in an inert environment, I expect that aluminium oxide is formed. The tartrate ion contains quite some oxygen and because of the strong electropositive nature of aluminium I expect that the oxygen will bind to the aluminium, as soon as the tartrate decomposes. A similar difference can befound between HgC2O4 and MgC2O4 (mercury and magnesium oxalate). On heating, the Hg-salt gives CO2 and metallic Hg, the Mg-salt (and also the Ca-salt) gives CO, CO2 and MgO or CaO, even in an inert atmosphere.

i thought you were going to bring up atmospheric oxidation, which would occur especially at the temperatures required for thermal decomposition. in an inert atmosphere, however, i really dont think there would be oxidation, but hey, it's my word vs yours. if you want to experiment, go for it

Your breath still contains a whole lotta leftover oxygen which your lungs couldn't absorb. Wouldn't be a great idea to do that. Try using a helium baloon. It does contain some noble gases.

Just what are you going to do with this powder?

Some of those helium tanks, however, have a bit of oxygen put in there due to the fact that people like to breathe in helium to alter their voice, but forget that they're displacing oxygen at the same time. So some helium tank fillers put a bit of oxygen in there so people won't pass-out from inhaling a balloon.

I must have a really good tank here then, a few breathe of that and you`re on yer back!

as for buying the alu powder from an art shop, Some (not all) add a coating of oil on the alu powder, it stops oxidation, you need to add lighter petrol to this (enough to cover it) stir well and then filter it OUTSIDE!

you`ll still have a very Tiny coating, but alot less than before. the petrol evaporates leaving the trace.