Electrolysis of molten sodium nitrate?

kmq

sodium nitrate, NaNO3, is an ionic compound with a melting point of about 320 degrees C and a decomposition temperature of about 380 degrees C. If I was to melt sodium nitrate to try to produce liquid sodium through electrolysis, would there be any poisonous gases produced from the electrolysis? I know that NO is poisonous and especially NO2. Would either of these be produced and are there any other hidden dangers (other than the fact that it produces sodium, which is rather unstable, and involves high temperatures)? :)

If thats too dangerous, what about electrolysis of molten baking soda (NaHCO3)?

2NaNO3(l) -> 2Na(l) + N2(g) + 3O2(g)

For doing that I would advise you be very careful and be sure you have the right equiment of good qualty to do this. I also advise you to use NaNO3 instead of NaHCO3 because NaHCO3 can give you H2O and this can be very dangerous! Sodium reacts very violently with water, it can be explosive!

When doing electrolysis of molten NaNO3 you must seperate the Sodium completely from the oxygen because it will oxydize and am pretty sure you want Na(s) and not Na2O(s). Be sure to get the MSDS of Sodium before you do this, so you know how to handle and store you Sodium so that no explosion occurs!!!!!(MSDS= Material Safety Data Sheets) :cool:

2NaNO3(l) -> 2Na(l) + N2(g) + 3O2(g)

For doing that I would advise you be very careful and be sure you have the right equiment of good qualty to do this. I also advise you to use NaNO3 instead of NaHCO3 because NaHCO3 can give you H2O and this can be very dangerous! Sodium reacts very violently with water' date=' it can be explosive!

When doing electrolysis of molten NaNO3 you must seperate the Sodium completely from the oxygen because it will oxydize and am pretty sure you want Na(s) and not Na2O(s). Be sure to get the MSDS of Sodium before you do this, so you know how to handle and store you Sodium so that no explosion occurs!!!!!(MSDS= Material Safety Data Sheets) :cool:[/quote']

Sorry, but what you are saying here is wrong. You cannot obtain sodium from molden sodium nitrate. Besides that, you will get nitrogen oxides at the anode, according to the following reactions:

NO3(-) ---> NO + O2 + e

2NO3(-) ---> NO2 + O2 + 2e

The Na, formed at the cathode, reacts immediately with the strongly oxidizing nitrate ions, giving sodium oxide and nitrogen, you may also get some sodium nitrite.

Keep in mind that nitrate ion is a strong oxidizer and hence any sodium formed will be destroyed immediately. Nitrate already reacts violently with many other metals powders (used in protechnics), so it certainly will react with the much more reactive sodium metal.

• 1 year later...

I think you shouldn't be even CONSIDERING the isolation of sodium through ANY process. It is far too dangerous, and is challenging to even the most experienced of home chemists. You simply would not have the materials and equiptment nessicary to produce sodium in a safe manner. Sodium spontaneously ignites when it comes in contact with air at temperatures above 300 celcius. You would have to setup an inert atomsphere of argon or another inert gas etc..

Simply put: DONT TRY IT AT HOME.

"Simply put: DONT TRY IT AT HOME." - thats good advice:)

though if you still want to know more read up on davy - i believe he was the first to isolate Na this way. Detailed descriptions of his work should detail the equipment and proceedure used (though u can skip using the voltaic pile :))

I agree with encipher. Davy was a researcher, who spent a lot of time and money on this subject. The average home chemist does not have the equipment and the skills to do so. There may be some home chemists, who do have the right equipment and skills (there are a few, active on http://www.sciencemadness.org), but I do not count myself to those persons who could safely make Na from molten salts and isolate it.

Really, if you value your health, please do not attempt to do this kind of reaction, unless you REALLY know what you are doing and have very good equipment.

Ahh yes, I recall you mentioning that before. Must've been a slightly painful experience... Guess the only molten metal you might have in your nose without particularly nasty consequences is gallium, I still wouldn't recommend putting it there though.