Wild gorillas seen to use tools

blike

_40860118_tool_plos_203.jpg
Gorillas have been seen for the first time using simple tools to perform tasks in the wild, researchers say. Scientists observed gorillas in a remote Congolese forest using sticks to test the depth of muddy water and to cross swampy areas.

Wild chimps and orangutans also use tools, suggesting that the origins of tool use may predate the evolutionary split between apes and humans. You can find the full BBC article here.

Gorillas have been seen for the first time using simple tools to perform tasks in the wild' date=' researchers say. [/size'] Scientists observed gorillas in a remote Congolese forest using sticks to test the depth of muddy water and to cross swampy areas.

Wild chimps and orangutans also use tools, suggesting that the origins of tool use may predate the evolutionary split between apes and humans. You can find the full BBC article here.

It says chimps have even been observed using stone tools to prepare food.

anybody had a source for that?

Blike's article says that this group studying gorillas publishes in the Public Library of Science (a new experiment in publishing scientific research entirely electronically---a paperless peer-reviewed journal)

I don't know but i think it might be pay per view, though.

http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=index-html&issn=1545-7885

WOW THE PLOS JOURNAL IS OPEN ACCESS FREE! here is the gorilla article:

http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0030380

this is scientific journal publication in a very webly spirit.

It says chimps have even been observed using stone tools to prepare food.

anybody had a source for that?

"At the age of 3.5 years' date=' wild chimpanzees at Bossou, Guinea, begin to use hammer and anvil stones to crack oil-palm nuts to get the kernels. To clarify the developmental processes, the authors did a field experiment in which stones and oil-palm nuts were provided. Infant chimpanzees' stone-nut manipulation was observed and video recorded. Data were collected from 3 infants younger than 4 years old from 1992 to 1995. The authors analyzed 692 episodes of infants' stone-nut manipulation and 150 episodes of infants' observation of nut cracking performed by adults. Infants observed other chimpanzees' nut cracking and got the kernels from them. The stone-nut manipulation developed from a single action on a single object to multiple actions on multiple objects. Although infant chimpanzees at the age of 2.5 years already acquired basic actions necessary for nut cracking, they did not combine the actions in an appropriate sequence to perform actual nut cracking."

From Inoue-Nakamura N, Matsuzawa T Development of stone tool use by wild chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). J Comp Psychol. 1997 Jun;111(2):159-73.

Sumita, K., Kitahara-Frisch, J. & Norikoshi, K. (1985). The acquisition of stone-tool use in captive chimpanzees. Primates 26:168-181

Here is a video of a chimp using sticks to recover ants. OK, no stones, but it's cute.;)

http://www.arkive.org/species/GES/mammals/Pan_troglodytes/Pan_troglodytes_tr_08a.html?movietype=rpMed

older news:

The use of primitive tools by apes and even some birds is not unusual, but Antonio C. de A. Moura of Darwin College and Phyllis C. Lee of the University of Cambridge, both in Cambridge, England, say in Science that they have now observed capuchin monkeys using rocks to gather food during the dry season in Brazil.

Captive capuchins have been easily taught to use simple tools, but scientists speculated that the wild animal doesn’t use tools because food is so abundant there is no need for them, the researchers say.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6689205/

Maybe they start using tools now because they didn't need them before.

The same is true for humans according to history many more inventions are made during a war/crisis.

Do you think we would know how to make an atom-bom if there weren't some big wars in our past?

thanks Ophi and Kedas! actually this is good but whets the appetite, there is bound to be more interesting stuff about the behavior of wild (and captive) apes. hope more comes in

it sound like Thomas Breuer (max planck inst. evolutionary anthropology at Leipzig) is exploring idea that tool-using might go back to common ancestor of 6 million years ago

This is nothing new. I recall watching a nature show about 10 years ago and being surprised to see monkeys of some kind, breaking nuts by laying them on a rock and hitting them with another rock.

Also, during another show, I saw monkeys, (again of some kind) who would scoop up rice mixed with sand and then put it into the water to sort the sand from the rice--Hell, I know people who aren't that smart.

Sea birds regularly pick up clams and such, fly high into the sky and drop them onto rocks to break them open.

Using things that easily come to hand (or paw or talon) is one thing, Making tools to do a particular job is quite another.

Wake me up when someone finds an ape knapping flint.....

Evidently (from a cursory reading of the article in PLoS Biology journal) the classic book on animal tool use is

Beck (1980) Animal tool behavior: The use and manufacture of tools by animals. New York: Garland Press. 307 p.

to get even minimal clarity in the discussion we need a definition and may as well take Beck's----since he wrote the book on it. [EDIT:...unless anyone can suggest better that is.]

Here is Beck's definition copied from Breuer article:

---quote---

Tool use is defined as “the employment of an unattached environmental object to alter more efficiently the form, position, or condition of another object, another organism, or the user itself when the user holds or carries the tool during or just prior to use and is responsible for the proper and effective orientation of the tool” (p. 10 of [1]). Beck's classic book [1] defines six different types of tools: objects thrown at predators or rivals, objects used to hit predators, hunting weapons (only hominids), objects incorporated into social displays, objects to clean body parts, and objects made and used to acquire food, such as insects or nuts [1,2].

---end quote---

http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0030380

I wonder what other kinds of animal use tools, by Beck's definition. I think the interesting thing here is that gorillas had NOT until now been observed in the wild doing that. They had been observed a lot in the wild but according to the authors this is the first instance of documented tool use in the wild.

They simply dont say about other animals, like whether some birds or sea otters or monkeys or whatever do or do not use tools (in their wild state). I dont have any information about documented cases of this. Not talking about animals in captivity, or which have been trained.

It would be interesting to have some links to a reliable source, like a peer reviewed journal or quotes from something comparable.

Does anybody have anything (besides what they think they saw on television or heard somebody tell about?) It would be interesting to know more about what animals use tools

Evidently (from a cursory reading of the article in PLoS Biology journal) the classic book on animal tool use is

Beck (1980) Animal tool behavior: The use and manufacture of tools by animals. New York: Garland Press. 307 p.

to get even minimal clarity in the discussion we need a definition and may as well take Beck's----since he wrote the book on it.

Here is Beck's definition copied from Breuer article:

---quote---

Tool use is defined as “the employment of an unattached environmental object to alter more efficiently the form' date=' position, or condition of another object, another organism, or the user itself when the [b']user holds or carries the tool during or just prior to use and is responsible for the proper and effective orientation of the tool[/b]” (p. 10 of [1]). Beck's classic book [1] defines six different types of tools: objects thrown at predators or rivals, objects used to hit predators, hunting weapons (only hominids), objects incorporated into social displays, objects to clean body parts, and objects made and used to acquire food, such as insects or nuts [1,2].

---end quote---

I wonder what other kinds of animal use tools, by Beck's definition. I think the interesting thing here is that gorillas had NOT until now been observed in the wild doing that. They had been observed a lot in the wild but according to the authors this is the first instance of documented tool use in the wild.

They simply dont say about other animals, like whether some birds or sea otters or monkeys or whatever do or do not use tools (in their wild state). I dont have any information about documented cases of this. Not talking about animals in captivity, or which have been trained.

It would be interesting to have some links to a reliable source, like a peer reviewed journal or quotes from something comparable.

Does anybody have anything (besides what they think they saw on television or heard somebody tell about?) It would be interesting to know more about what animals use tools

According to beck's definition of tools, wouldn't a bird building a nest qualify as the use of tools? Building a nursery is perhaps beyond the expertise of many humans. When a beaver builds a dam? Or when a rabbit digs a hole or when a fish fans the soil in the bottom of a lake to create a proper site for the deposit of it's eggs?

According to beck's definition of tools, wouldn't a bird building a nest qualify as the use of tools? Building a nursery is perhaps beyond the expertise of many humans[/i']. When a beaver builds a dam? Or when a rabbit digs a hole or when a fish fans the soil in the bottom of a lake to create a proper site for the deposit of it's eggs?

I suppose that interpreting Beck's definition (or any scholar's) requires some measure of common sense and good faith. No matter how careful he is, you still need to use some intuition about what he has in mind.

but maybe you can improve on the definition, HWC!

How would you like to define tool?

"...when the user holds or carries the tool during or just prior to use and is responsible for the proper and effective orientation of the tool”

Any confusion about this? this might serve to distinguish between

tools carried just prior to use, and material like sticks and grass used to build a nest, or dirt sand etc.

probly the verbal picking stuff is not important, and we all know what is meant, but just in case....

also HWC fine if you want to supply a better alternative :)

According to beck's definition of tools' date=' wouldn't a bird building a nest qualify as the use of tools? Building a nursery is perhaps beyond the expertise of many humans. When a beaver builds a dam? Or when a rabbit digs a hole or when a fish fans the soil in the bottom of a lake to create a proper site for the deposit of it's eggs?[/quote']

If the bird used a pair of needle-nosed pliers to make its nest, or the beaver a power drill, or the rabbit a backhoe, then it would be considered use of tools.

If the bird used a pair of needle-nosed pliers to make its nest, or the beaver a power drill, or the rabbit a backhoe, then[/b'] it would be considered use of tools.

Which is kind of the way I see it too.

To me it would qualify as a tool is it was altered in some way, to do a specific job, or, even unaltered, if it provided a mechanical advantage such as a stick used as a pry bar to move a heavy rock or to roll a log over to get at the grubs and such that are underseath.

Humans probably discovered that chips of stone could cut by stepping on them and being cut themselves and at first, simply used these naturally occuring chips to cut things that they thought needed cutting. Who know how long it took before they discovered that they could make their oun cutting tools by chipping certain kinds of rocks themselves.

We see apes using twigs by sticking them into anthills and then pulling them out covered with ants to eat, but I wouldn't call that using a tool any more than a beaver using tree limbs to construct a dam. Actually less so.

"...when the user holds or carries the tool during or just prior to use[/b'] and is responsible for the proper and effective orientation of the tool”

Isn't that what a bird does when it builds a nest? A Beaver when it builds a dam?

Any confusion about this? this might serve to distinguish between

tools carried just prior to use, and material like sticks and grass used to build a nest, or dirt sand etc.

probly the verbal picking stuff is not important, and we all know what is meant, but just in case....

also HWC fine if you want to supply a better alternative :)

I don't think there is a better alternative.

It just seems to me that what Beck stated would include nest building and other animal activity where the animal in question altered it's surroundings for a specific purpose.

We see apes using twigs by sticking them into anthills and then pulling them out covered with ants to eat, but I wouldn't call that using a tool any more than a beaver using tree limbs to construct a dam. Actually less so.

I disagree that the chimp is not using tools. Considering two interacting objects, one as a manipulator, and one as being manipulated, I would say the manipulator is always a "tool" in any situation. If not... what would you call it?

In the case of the stick in the anthill, the chimp is manipulating the ants with the stick (maybe the ants are walking onto the stick out of their own accord, but let's not be pedantic) and I would consider this to be using a tool.

In the case of the dam, the sticks are not tools, but building materials. The dam itself is altering the environment, and should be considered a tool.

If an ant collecting stick is not considered a tool, neither should a hammer be.

thanks Ophi and Kedas! actually this is good but whets the appetite, there is bound to be more interesting stuff about the behavior of wild (and captive) apes. hope more comes in

9. E Linden, Can animals think? Time 154: 57-60, Sept 6, 1999.

Some of the attempts to escape captivity -- including making lockpicks -- are as innovative as any human prison break. Orangutans are apparently some of the best. The joke was: put a screwdriver in a cage with a chimp or gorilla and they will sniff it, toss it, and tast it. Put a screwdriver in with an orangutan and he will hide it and, that night, use it to disassemble the cage. :)

If the bird used a pair of needle-nosed pliers to make its nest, or the beaver a power drill, or the rabbit a backhoe, then[/b'] it would be considered use of tools.
:confused: That would be a demonstration of making tools to make tools. Pliers, power drill, and backhoe are the end products of a long string of tool making. Remember, you have to have tools to smelt the metal, other tools to make molds, still other tools to asssemble the power drill and backhoe. While you think of these are "tools", really they are much more complex than that.

We are talking tool use. That is, where you take some object in the environment and use it to accomplish a task either without modifying it or with minimal modification. The chimp's stripping a branch of leaves for use as a probe of anthills is minimal modification of a naturally occuring object.

A human picking up a stick and using it as a walking stick is tool use.

Many, many species use tools. A few, like the chimp, can modify the tool minimally.

Only humans, as far as I know, deliberately make a tool in order to make another tool.

:confused: That would be a demonstration of making tools to make tools. Pliers' date=' power drill, and backhoe are the end products of a long string of tool [b']making[/b]. Remember, you have to have tools to smelt the metal, other tools to make molds, still other tools to asssemble the power drill and backhoe. While you think of these are "tools", really they are much more complex than that.

We are talking tool use. That is, where you take some object in the environment and use it to accomplish a task either without modifying it or with minimal modification. The chimp's stripping a branch of leaves for use as a probe of anthills is minimal modification of a naturally occuring object.

A human picking up a stick and using it as a walking stick is tool use.

Many, many species use tools. A few, like the chimp, can modify the tool minimally.

Only humans, as far as I know, deliberately make a tool in order to make another tool.

What you say here makes a lot of sense, at least to me. The use of something that an animal finds lying around is not at all uncommon, as has been discussed even on this thread.

The creation of a tool is much more important and much more rare.

I disagree that the chimp is not using tools. Considering two interacting objects' date=' one as a manipulator, and one as being manipulated, I would say the manipulator is always a "tool" in any situation. If not... what would you call it?

In the case of the stick in the anthill, the chimp is manipulating the ants with the stick (maybe the ants are walking onto the stick out of their own accord, but let's not be pedantic) and I would consider this to be using a tool.

In the case of the dam, the sticks are not tools, but building materials. The dam itself is altering the environment, and should be considered a tool.

If an ant collecting stick is not considered a tool, neither should a hammer be.[/quote']

I suppose it depends on how one defines tools.

I have trouble looking upon a twig, inserted into an anthill, as a tool, although I am not interested in beating any dead horses about it.

If, on the other hand, a stick is used as a lever, (lets say to roll a log over) and especially if a rock is also used as a fulcrum, that is a different story. There would be a case on recognition of mechanical advantage, and I would have to think that tool making would be close to follow.

Please don't ask me to befine "close."