Kraken Revealed!

AzurePhoenix

Kubodera's team captured photos of the 26-foot-long beast attacking its bait, then struggling for more than four hours to get free. The squid pulled so hard on the line baited with shrimp that it severed one of its own tentacles.

Quoted from FOX. I just feel sorry for the poor squid. Imagine having your arm ripped off. I hear it won't be growing back either. All for the glory of human knowledge. Where are the animal rights =(

You wouldn't wanna eat any of that, unless you have a thing for ammonia.

Quoted from FOX. I just feel sorry for the poor squid. Imagine having your arm ripped off. I hear it won't be growing back either. All for the glory of human knowledge. Where are the animal rights =(
I haven't been able to find much on it. Do you know what they caught it on? And I'm more concerned about having hooked for so many hours. The trauma from that alone might be worse than losing an arm.

Yesss! They've finally got it recorded! The Leopard of the Deep, the Ghost of the Abyss! Architeuthis[/b']! I'm shaking....

Amazing. I never thought I would see this. I'm kind of sad in a way, I mean, it was a mystery, possibly one of the last great mysteries, and its pretty much solved. Too bad it damaged it's tentacle trying to get away, too. I saw a special on humbolt squids a whila ago, and they were catching them with these 2 ft. long barbed rods. Their tentacles got badly caught on them (it was brutal), so its good they didn't use that method at least.

Bouyancy regulation, I think.
Yup, bouyancy, it's sort of an alternative to the bony fish's swim bladder. Quite a few larger, deep sea squid apparently have ammonia throughout their flesh, most notably the Giant and Colossals. Most squid used in kalamari are smaller and from the surface, so don't have it.