Theory On How to Harness the Power of Lightning!

I am relativly new to this kind of thing. Anyway, I would like to see if anyone of my theorys might actually work.

Copyright 2005

Theory of Lightning power

My theory is fairly simple. A complex titanium box will be created. This box is covered in a very strong, electrical and thermal dispersal material. This container will have a very long lightning rod. On this rod will be a transformer like rod, that would decrease the strength of the lighning my 65%. Then the reduce shok will travel into the center of the container. The inside of the container would be lined with with powerfull electro magnetic lithiom battereis. MY theory is, If a positively charged lighning strike is contained inside this container, it could be used as a extremly, powerful, plenteful, and safe form of energy.

I would like to have comments, improvements, and anything you have to offer.

Lance Cho

tr8b2@bellsouth.net

AIM:lancecho007

Theory of Lightning power

My theory is fairly simple. A complex titanium box will be created. This box is covered in a very strong' date=' electrical and thermal dispersal material. This container will have a very long lightning rod. On this rod will be a transformer like rod, that would decrease the strength of the lighning my 65%. Then the reduce shok will travel into the center of the container. The inside of the container would be lined with with powerfull electro magnetic lithiom battereis. MY theory is, If a positively charged lighning strike is contained inside this container, it could be used as a extremly, powerful, plenteful, and safe form of energy.

[/quote']

Well honestly, it's not a theory strictly speaking. This sounds like a technology that can possibly be patented if you can get it to work and demonstrate it systematically to the US Patents Office.

Lightning is an interesting source of power, nobody has really given serious thought about harnessing it. The problem is that lightning is a high current, very high voltage corona discharge. Basically lots of electrons coming through. You can't exactly "zap" the electrons into batteries. If we could, why do you think it actually takes time for you to charge those rechargeable batteries. With the advent of transformers, high voltages are certainly possible to achieve (see Tesla coil).

Secondly, what's the idea of storing large amounts of energy in batteries? Again, if the technology was there, I think electric cars would be more common on the roads and my cruddy laptop wouldn't need to be plugged in every 3 hours >.<

The inside of the container would be lined with with powerfull electro magnetic lithiom battereis.

care to explain what an "electro magnetic (I assume you mean Lithium) Battery" is please?

or give us a few links to such a creation.

Ok, first of all, the lighning isn't exactly stored inside a battery. The Inside of the box is actually a sphere. Inside the sphere is many battery like electro-magnetic items. Therefore the lightning will be jumping around. Since electricity seaks electricity.

Ok, first of all, the lighning isn't exactly stored inside a battery. The Inside of the box is actually a sphere. Inside the sphere is many battery like electro-magnetic items. Therefore the lightning will be jumping around. Since electricity seaks electricity.

Huh?

Why capture lightning? The electrical potential between the ground and the clouds exist long before lightning occurs. Lightning is just a last ditch effort to balance the charge and that charge can be utilized long before that.

Lightning occurs when the charge potential between ground and earth becomes so great that it overcomes the insulative properties of air. Lightning is the conductive path (just like a wire) that connects the two dislike charges and cancels them out. There's no reason why you couldn't build your own conductive path (think long copper tower) and balance out the charges long before it builds up to the point of a lightning strike.

In doing so you'd have electrons moving up or down your tower that you could make work for you. Sure, it wouldn't be as spectacular as harnessing the power of a lightning bolt, but you could get just as much power out of it, spread over a longer time period, in a form that's totally usuable by today's technology. In fact, building an array of these towers would see that the lightning strike would not occur. You'd be making the area safer.

I wish I could draw. It's one of the things that unfortunatly I do not have. U guys might wanna know this, but I'm only 14 years old.

non of us need a work of art, just Some idea of what you`re on about.

why is your age anything to do with it?

an Idea is an Idea, no matter Where or Whom it originates from, although in this Particular instance it does so far read like you`ve made a syntacticaly sound sentence usining as many "technical" words as you can muster and asked question using them!

a bit like the "Eisenberg Compensator" in Star-Trek :)

I wish I could draw. It's one of the things that unfortunatly I do not have. U guys might wanna know this, [b']but I'm only 14 years old.[/b]

I never would have guessed.

Before you invent anything you'll probably want to learn about the basic ideas behind electricity. Saying things like "electricity seeks electricity" shows us that you dont seem to even know what electricity is, let alone how to do anything with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you know that, when lightning occurs as we see it, it is actually the scond part of the lightning process ? So actually, an 'invisible' charge goes up from the ground upto the clouds and then we see the flash that strikes the exact same place the the charge went up from. So maybe, if we can actually cause/ control the place it goes up from, we could control where the lightning hits. An insulated conductor with a high static charge artificially created by direct contact/ induction...

keep thinking....

What level of the atmosphere does lightning originate?

How about a cable tethered between a grounding station and a high altitude balloon?

Reverse the way a normal high voltage transformer works (tesla type stuff) to take in a high voltage static charge and 'convert'* it to usuable electricity?

*I don't understand enough about static electricity to be able to explain how to do this.