How does a change in NOS expression in neurites have an effect on neurotoxicity?

Hey guys, i saw this forum and i just had a question that i need an answer on. I am conducting a project that I need more clarification on a certain point. In my project, I differentiate pheochromocytoma cells (PC-12 cells) into neurites via NGF (nerve growth factor) in order to simulate the developing nervous system. What i am aiming to look for is the change in NOS (nitric oxide synthase) gene expression. If anyone can tell me if a change in NOS expression could have any effect on neurotoxicity in the nervous system please tell me cuz i need to know. If you want a little more info, NOS is the enzyme that synthesizes nitric oxide, an important compoun that regulates numerous physiological processes in the human body and nervous system. If anyone knows stuff about NOS expression and how change in NOS expression in the DEVELOPING NERVOUS SYSTEM can induce neurotoxicity please post a reply OR email me at translash@yahoo.com. I really appreciate it if you guys can help me. Thank you.

If anyone can tell me if a change in NOS expression could have any effect on neurotoxicity in the nervous system please tell me cuz i need to know.

There is some evidence that lead poisoning is caused through increased NO production in the brain. This is not confirmed but the study I have seen (can't find right now) showed that a NOS inhibitor could prevent the cytotoxicity caused by lead. This study was conducted in rat PC-12 cells as far as i remember.

In addtion :

Given the detail in your question I assumed that you would be aware of the theory that NO could be damaging to nevous tissue in general. Just in case you didn't know, I thought I better point this out. It is a potent source of free radicals and has been linked to various forms of neurotoxicity including (i think) excitotoxicity. I'm not sure what the current view on this is though.

Thanks for the information! The only thing is: I already know that stuff. I know NO is a free radical and causes cell apoptosis via OXIDATIVE STRESS. In addition, NO can kill neurons in vitro. The thing is...i just need clarification on NOS expression in DEVELOPING NEURITES. What could be implied if NOS expresion increases or decreases? Again thanks for the info...I'm really happy that someone around here knows this stuff.