How To Debate An Evolutionist

shinbits

Hi!

I noticed an interesting thread on how to debate with a creationist. So I thought it would be fair to make one on how to debate with an evolutionist.

Fair's fair, right? :)

Here are some simple ways to debate with an evolutionist:

1) Some evo-supporters may get nervous about this topic, because they may think about some religion they don't want to join. Re-assuring the person that ID doesn't talk about any specific religion may help.

2) You may want to start by debating logically with the person. You may want to bring up the universes vast complexities, and that logically, it's an imposibility. Often, an evolutionist may say that logic is not falsifiable.

3) Since the evolutionist doesn't want to listen to logic, you might want to bring up that evolution violates the second law of thermo-dynamics, which basically states that the every system, left to it's own devices, alwyas moves from order to disorder. In other words, evolution theory violates a scientific law, by saying just the opposite.

4) Ask about proof of humans evolving. While on that topic, you may want to talk about Piltdown Man, or Nebraska Man.

5) Of course, reserch evolution as much as you can.

6) Be respectful. I've met many nice people who believe in evolution. But there are also many who like to insult or use name calling, or say sarcastic, cutting things. (Ensuing comments by some evolutionists will prove this.) The possibility of having to face a God, understandibly, can bother some people. In such a case, if they get rude, still be respectful and just walk away.

Also, you may want to refer them to this nice site. It's a creation website that also goes into some depth about evolution:

http://emporium.turnpike.net/C/cs/index.htm

Please, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, nobody respond to this. There is nothing that will be said here that hasn't been said a thousand times before (proof positive: he's still using Piltdown man even after his last thread). Additionally, he's posting something that he knows will be inflammatory and rightly belongs on an ICR website or something to a community that's 99% "Darwinists." I just hate to think of the time that will be wasted - but hey, at least he got the category right this time.

1) Some evo-supporters may get nervous about this topic, because they may think about some religion they don't want to join. Re-assuring the person that ID doesn't talk about any specific religion may help.

This is a poor approach because it can lead to confusion. First, you may wish to discuss other scientific theories of how to explain the diversity of life that we see today, rather than creationism. Secondly, if you are arguing for creationism, you should be clear what you mean. Creationism isn't a monolithic concept, different people mean different things by the word.

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

2) You may want to start by debating logically with the person. You may want to bring up the universes vast complexities, and that logically, it's an imposibility. Often, an evolutionist may say that logic is not falsifiable.

By all means be logical, it's the most effective way to discuss causality, but remember that ideas that are logical aren't necessarily true.

3) Since the evolutionist doesn't want to listen to logic

They do, (well unless they are interested in early 20th century absurdist theatre, but we can generalise) but on top of logic they also want something that can be shown to be false.

you might want to bring up that evolution violates the second law of thermo-dynamics, which basically states that the every system, left to it's own devices, alwyas moves from order to disorder. In other words, evolution theory violates a scientific law, by saying just the opposite.

I wouldn't suggest you use it as an argument because I don't see how evolution violates the second law of thermodynamics, so it will only make you look like a fool.

4) Ask about proof of humans evolving. While on that topic, you may want to talk about Piltdown Man, or Nebraska Man.

I wouldn't ask for proof of anything scientific, because proof isn't a possible outcome in scientific enquiry. Ask for evidence.

5) Of course, reserch evolution as much as you can.

Yes, please do. Most creationists would be better off just asking questions about evolution, rather than questioning evolution.

6) Be respectful.

Yes, always try to be, as it tends to lengthen your stay at a forum. Also, remember to take criticism constructively, that's the main benefit of these discussions.

Also, you may want to refer them to this nice site. It's a creation website that also goes into some depth about evolution:

http://emporium.turnpike.net/C/cs/index.htm

I'd suggest you avoid creationist websites and link to scientific sources.

Please, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, nobody respond to this. There is nothing that will be said here that hasn't been said a thousand times before (proof positive: he's still using Piltdown man even after his last thread). Additionally, he's posting something that he knows will be inflammatory and rightly belongs on an ICR website or something to a community that's 99% "Darwinists." I just hate to think of the time that will be wasted - but hey, at least he got the category right this time.

There appears to be two certainties in life: death and creationists (tax is for suckers!)

So we might as well try to have decent discussions with them.

3) Since the evolutionist doesn't want to listen to logic' date=' you might want to bring up that evolution violates the second law of thermo-dynamics, which basically states that the every system, left to it's own devices, alwyas moves from order to disorder. In other words, evolution theory violates a scientific law, by saying just the opposite.

This is just not true, and it doesn't help your case one bit (it just shows how little science you understand). The second law of thermodynamics is for isolated systems, and humanity did not evolve in isolation from the rest of the world. The entropy of part of a system is allowed to decrease as long as there is enough of an increase in the other parts of the system. So the growth of complexity in humanity if offset by an increase in entropy in some other sector of the world (for example, we eat other complex animals and plants, turning them into significantly less complicated and more disordered waste products).

So we might as well try to have decent discussions with them.

I don't think we're going to be having any more discussions with this particular trolling IDiot....

shinbits

Permanently Banned

Mokele, taking out the intelectual trash once and for all.

Wow thanks Shinbits for your massive list of pointers, in fact, I just converted my entire science class to The Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints. Boy did I knock them out with Jesus Logic! :confused:

Oh and by the way... on point number 4:

EVOLVED HUMANS ARE ALL AROUND YOU!!!

Ever notice that humans consist of many races? Ummmm am I missing something here, or did God make MANY adam and eves to procreate the various races? OR did... *gasp* They EVOLVE into various races from a common ancestor over a long period of time? No wait, I got it. God painted/contorted all the cool features at the tower of Babel!! Yea thats it... :rolleyes:

*watches Mokele throw the trash out*

The thing about Thermodynamics... I know it's for a closed system, but can you tell me if this is right for what a closed system is?

A system that is completly void of any factors the originate from outside the system... (as in, nothing that isn't in the system can affect anything in the system).

*also watched Mokele throw away some garbage.*

I've always known thermodynamic systems categorised as,

Open: the system can exchange matter and energy with its surroundings

Closed: the system can exchange energy but not matter

Isolated: the system can exchange neither.

Like severian said, the 2nd law applies to isolated systems.

Curious, but according to creationists, what is the explaination for dinosaur bones?

Depending on who you talk to, they are either the bones of animals that died in the flood, or they were put there to test one's faith.