Only 1 billion years left

MaxCathedral

[B]In 1 billion years, the sun will get hotter by ten percent.

That's just enough to evaporate the oceans and trap all heat, a super green house effect.

Don't laugh..even now, even as I type this, the ice caps are melting.

Life as we know it will die...all life.

How will the cosmos itself end?

Some favor Ice.....the Universe is still expanding very fast. At a cubic Light Year (a speeding bullet would take 380,000 years to reach edge to edge), well....the Universe is expanding at 40 trillion cubic light years....a second.

Eventually the galaxies will expand to far apart, suns will die..and everything will die an icy death.

Others say when the universe has finised expanding it will all come crashing back to the sized of grape, and explode outward again....creating new eons of universes. As Revelations says, a new heaven and earth.

All I can say is, Thanks for the Memories..[/b]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wondering about this. Anyone know of timelines or anything similar describing the future of the Earth? It has been... 4.6 billion years so far?

One reason for me to wonder about this is future evolution and the future of life on Earth. Took long enough to make humans. Though I understand that a huge amount of that time was spent just making a multi-celled organism. (I'm wondering about the problems that the dominating species can create... disrupting the 'living Earth' from its more life-friendly features)

Wonder if there will be enough time (perhaps after many failed attempts by various dominating, intelligent species) for some sort of Earth life to make itself sustainable without the Earth, and perhaps powerful enough to make self sustaining civilizations in other places.

[B]In 1 billion years' date=' the sun will get hotter by ten percent.

That's just enough to evaporate the oceans and trap all heat, a super green house effect.

[/quote']

If we survive 1 billion years, a child will be able to move the earth farther out with a single thought.

' date=' well....the Universe is expanding at 40 trillion cubic light years....a second.

[/quote']

It isnt hard to calculate the PERCENTAGE increase per second, or per year, or per million years...but to give a figure for the absolute volume increase in some time period you must have some figure for present volume, to take that percentage OF.

So Max, what do you claim is the present volume of the universe?

I don't believe it is possible give a figure for the rate volume is expanding without assuming a present volume.

[B]In 1 billion years' date=' the sun will get hotter by ten percent.

B']

Man, I hope that I am dead by this time. If not, I'm surely committing murder upon myself.

A billion years is a lot of time. If we're still sitting around on Earth alone by then, we probably deserve to be wiped out.

:D

you have a point

the species we know by and large have shown a tendency to spread and adapt to all kinds of environments, which may have been bred into them by evolution---if those that didnt colonize fared poorly

it is hard for me to imagine people not spreading life beyond earth bounds, either to some other parts of the solar system, or to exoplanets, or both

life that stays confined to its original habitat is in some sense a failed attempt

What I believe a few people here fail to understand is that we will have colonized another planet in One Billion Years and the Earth will no longer matter. We need to as someone above stated, curve mans violent nature and possibly save man. We should not fear 1 Billion years from now, chances are most of us will not be alive but the possibility exists that we may, because as many have said, this is the generation to be blessed with everlasting life. Also, as Xyph stated, if we are still on Earth in one billion years we deserve to be wiped out.

I sleep soundly at night hoping that the technology then will be enough to create an artificial sun/protect the earth from the sun. Seriously, one billion years is a very long time, and I'm sure that by then, there will be artificial everything.

In my oppinion it would be a shame and unfortunate for menkind to dissapear. Beside our destructive behavior and all bad influace we have on everything living around us, we still accomplish so much in such short notice of say 10.000 years in wich we envolve to a moder men. Of course our sun will swallow the earth in 3-4 billion years and kill everything that crawls in 1 (or even less) years but it gave us so much till now and will give enough time to think over some solution for survivel. Somebody or something invested a lots of efforts making all this interestig puzzles to be cracted. It would be real pity nobody to obtain that long homework all the way thru. :-( So everyone start brainstorming ideas for new outer space human colonies :D

Our space program is a joke. They arent working to colonize other planets. Our last shuttle up was to collect garbage....

If an asteroid was heading to Earth (for the sake of argument) and it was going to hit in lets say 32 years, we would develop more technology in those 32 years then we have ever...ironic isnt it?

"Perhaps we need some outside, universal threat to make us recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world."

Best Reagan Quote Ever.

the fundamental problem with current space exploration is just that, its for exploation. we need to develop technologies that would make it economical for corporations to start mining asteroids and such for resources. otherwise space travel will always remain a pipe dream.

when the conquistadors did their exploration it was to find gold, and when that didn't work out there were thousands of europeans who wanted out of europe, and there were shipyards to construct ships for them to get out on. As a necessary consequence these people had to trade with europe in order to get gunpowder and other such essentials, the government would not provide these things free of charge.

Our problem is that we talk about permanent moon and or mars habitation as being entirely dependant on earth continuing to supply the bases with supplies for scientific work. We need to think about how these bases and space stations can trade with earth equally. A moon base would require water in order to survive, however it could theoretically supply earth with minerals (although an asteroid would be far better at this). this is the kind of thinking we need in our space programs.

It isnt hard to calculate the PERCENTAGE increase per second' date=' or per year, or per million years...but to give a figure for the absolute volume increase in some time period you must have some figure for present volume, to take that percentage OF.

So Max, what do you claim is the present volume of the universe?

I don't believe it is possible give a figure for the rate volume is expanding without assuming a present volume.[/quote']

Max: I loved this post. My answer...Big....Really Big...thats the size of the Universe.

But your point is well taken, and keeps me honest.

Our problem is that we talk about permanent moon and or mars habitation as being entirely dependant on earth continuing to supply the bases with supplies for scientific work. We need to think about how these bases and space stations can trade with earth equally. A moon base would require water in order to survive' date=' however it could theoretically supply earth with minerals (although an asteroid would be far better at this). this is the kind of thinking we need in our space programs.[/quote']

Max: I still remember that scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey, that shot of a moon base. And eventually your right, one day, when we get the conjones to actually begin habitation among other planets, we will have to re examine our commerce system.

My answer...Big....Really Big...thats the size of the Universe.

But your point is well taken' date=' and keeps me honest.[/quote']

In case anyone is interested, the percentage rate of increase in volume at present is one percent every 46 million years.

The rate of increase in distance is one percent every 138 million years.

happily enough it is very easy to derive from the current best estimate of the hubble parameter of 71 km/second per megaparsec.

That "71 km/s per Mpc" sounds very technical and puts people off but it is exactly the same as saying that distances increase by one percent

in 138 million years.

(or that the "hubble time" is 100 times that, namely 13.8 billion)

So if you can visualize 138 million years somehow, then you have a handle on how fast the universe is expanding. The distance between two galaxies (as long as they are way way far apart to start with, and not part of the same cluster, I mean way far) that distance between those two increases by one percent in that amount of time.