a new fuse

weldermanx

hey im making smokeboms for this stunt my friend is doing on his dirtbike, i have the actual bomb but the fuse is sadly lacking... it just wont burn down to the igniter. ive tried gunpowder coated string, potassium chlorate (and KClO3 + sulfur)coated string, KClO3 coated paper... and many others is there some secret to the perfect fuse? oh and btw i cant get like the green kind from fireworks, dont sell them here, only the weak SAS (safe and sane)kind with fuses too short for my use-i got to make them myself. Any suggestions?

yah its part of the act. im the technical adviser for a group of about 30 people. i dont have access to any potassium nitrate since i burned my 3rd desk to cinder, is there any way i could make a fuse with potassium chlorate, a sulfur/chlorate mix would be nice but i cant get enough to stick for it to hold a flame/ sparks

im the technical adviser for a group of about 30 people. i dont have access to any potassium nitrate since i burned my 3rd desk to cinder,

oh dear God, lord help the poors sods! esp coupled with your last post in the other thread, claiming to be a "skilled chemist"

Hahahahahahaha :)))

Seriously, consider ordering the visco fuse from unitednuclear.com. Have a friend who's 21 or older order it for you. It's dirt cheap for the quantity that you receive. btw... do your parents know about your business? Consider having them order the fuse for you. Also consider using a sparkler as fuse. You may also consider obtaining some Mg ribbon from your school. Oh, and I would be kinda hesitant about hosting a pyrotechnics show and all if i could barely keep a small fire under control... :)

oh dear God' date=' lord help the poors sods! esp coupled with your last post in the other thread, claiming to be a "skilled chemist"

Hahahahahahaha :)))[/quote']

Dude, I mean come on... he is 13. He runs this place.

weldermanx, if you want to not be prejudiced against just don't say your age... And if you want to justify your ignorance then just say that you are younger or that you are only in high school chemistry. But, don't try to play yourself off as the 'skilled chemist' and overcompensate for those possible prejudices. Try not to be so defensive.

Im 14 years old, and ive said this many times before on this forum, and ive never once gotten shit from anyone here about my age. Seriously, weldermanx, its not easy to light a entire desk on fire and just let it burn to the ground.

Anyway, try rolling some fine black powder in some tissue paper. This fuse wil dominate all homemade fuses if done right. This is all i use for my bp firecrackers, and especialy with bp crackers, the fuse needs to be damn small. That shows you something about reliability.

Anyay, m

• 5 months later...

If you suck at making blackmatch like I do, make some anyway.

Now roll touch paper onto your blackmatch (touch paper is KNO3-saturated (and dried) tissue paper).

Just one or two layers in all is enough.

Then roll adhesive tape onto your fuse.

Bingo! Your fuse got a little thicker, but WILL burn through holes, WILL accept cross-fusing etc.

It worked like a charm at New Years'.

I connected groups of green-visco'ed rockets with this fuse and they went off fine from my new-fangled 5-shot fencing-wire-enhanced firing rod.

(That is, fencing wire shaped into 5 loops upper and 5 loops lower).

I just poked holes in the tape and stuck the fuses in. Next time it might go easier if I cut the visco to a sharp point.

Firey up!

VK

If You What An Electrical Fuse/Trigger You Can Use A Broken Christmas Light And A 9VDC Battery That Will Do The Trick. Or Wrap Very Thin Wire On Each Side Of A 1 Inch Piece Of Mechanical Pencil Graphite 7 mm. And Hook That Up To Two D 1.5VDC Battery. That Will Heat Up Hot Enough To Ignite A Match Tip Or A Firework.

That Should Do

• 2 weeks later...

If you find the mechanical pencil lead keeps breaking, wrap the wire around a needle first and then slip the coil of wire off of the needle and onto the graphite. A 12v lead acid battery will vaporize these things, I haven’t tried a small 9v battery, or a couple AA 1.5v batteries, but they will probably work too.

eMatch.JPG

If you find the mechanical pencil lead keeps breaking' date=' wrap the wire around a needle first and then slip the coil of wire off of the needle and onto the graphite. A 12v lead acid battery will vaporize these things, I haven’t tried a small 9v battery, or a couple AA 1.5v batteries, but they will probably work too.

[ATTACH']1262[/ATTACH]

If That Does Not Work Try Nickel Plated Copper Wire Instead.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...