Different Universes...

And particle theorists and experimentalists have been able to study these processes so to speak in the laboratory' date=' so that with fair confidence one can model in some detail what was going on----and say why various species formed in various proportions.

[/quote']

That's right. CP violation in the quark sector is well understood and provides a mechanism for prefering matter over anti-matter. Model builders and phenomenologists trying to explain the asymmetry use the CP violation that we see in the lab to predict how much CP violation (and thus how much matter over antimatter) that we generate in the evolution from the big bang to our current day. This asymmetry would all have to happen within less than the first second. They find that it is not enough.

However, I don't think this is a very negative statement. The Standard Model is surely not the final theory. There is too much it doesn't explain. So I suspect that once we probe higher energies we will find new particles and phenomena, some of which will violate CP, and we will finally have enough CP violation to explain the difference. For example, a more complicated Higgs boson sector could have CP violation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could there have been an "anti-unit of singularity" ? just like every particle has an antiparticle?

Rather silly question I suppose, but it popped into my head reading this thread.

But anyway good info guys, thanks! Now what about theories that contain multiverses, like the M-theory. Do they have any bearing on this subject? Or does the fact that since those theories contain multiverses, then they would never affect our universe so it doesn’t really matter (plus the fact that they are just theories? Or could theoretically there be room for some kind of relationship, perhaps in other dimensions, between two or more universes?

New to this site:

Can large amounts of anti-matter even exist in our universe? if we consider the fact that all matter is energy than wouldn't it suggest that antimatter also is "anti-energy" Is there any school of physics that suggests that anti-matter can coalesce in anything larger than a single particle? Wouldn't anti-matter also need to bend the universe in an opposite manner than the gravity of normal matter? It would seem to me that the presence of large amounts of anti-matter could not exist in our universe.

Can large amounts of anti-matter even exist in our universe? if we consider the fact that all matter is energy than wouldn't it suggest that antimatter also is "anti-energy" Is there any school of physics that suggests that anti-matter can coalesce in anything larger than a single particle? Wouldn't anti-matter also need to bend the universe in an opposite manner than the gravity of normal matter? It would seem to me that the presence of large amounts of anti-matter could not exist in our universe.
Antimatter has positive energy and a positive mass, so wouldn't have antigravitational effects and would release positive energy when mutually annihilating matter rather than simply vanishing into nonexistence.

I don't think any "school of physics" suggests antimatter can't coalesce in anything larger than a particle. Quite large objects could be built out of pure antimatter in the same way as with matter, I would think (barring practical considerations).

That said, large quantities of antimatter probably don't exist in our universe for other reasons that have been detailed already in this thread.

Antimatter has positive energy and a positive mass, so wouldn't have antigravitational effects and would release positive energy when mutually annihilating matter rather than simply vanishing into nonexistence.

anti-gravity - as in a repelling force? Somehow, I don't think this is the case. Doesn't anti-matter have opposite charges, but there would still be an obvious mass. I don't see how they would create anti-gravity.

It wouldn't, that's what I said:

Antimatter has ... a positive mass, so wouldn't[/b'] have antigravitational effects

It was in response to:

Wouldn't anti-matter also need to bend the universe in an opposite manner than the gravity of normal matter?

RamDac99:

If there were an isolated system of antimatter in the universe, free from interaction with ordinary matter, no earthbound observation could distinguish its true content, as photons (being their own antiparticle) are the same whether they are in a “universe” or an “antiuniverse”.

But assuming large zones of antimatter exist, there must be some boundary where antimatter atoms from the antimatter galaxies or stars will come into contact with normal atoms. In those regions a powerful flux of gamma rays would be produced.

This has never been observed despite deployment of very sensitive instruments in space to detect them.

When things bubble around at a quantum level where wormholes and things are made, there could be universes created there within this one. Time for them would be considerably slower than ours and so what would be a nano-second in this Universe might be 20,000 billion years in another. An anti-matter Universe like this could probably form, could it not?

why would time go slower for them?

And tiny universes arent created

Could there have been an "anti-unit of singularity" ? just like every particle has an antiparticle?

Rather silly question I suppose' date=' but it popped into my head reading this thread.

But anyway good info guys, thanks! Now what about theories that contain multiverses, like the M-theory. Do they have any bearing on this subject? Or does the fact that since those theories contain multiverses, then they would never affect our universe so it doesn’t really matter (plus the fact that they are just theories? Or could theoretically there be room for some kind of relationship, perhaps in other dimensions, between two or more universes?[/quote']

Well apparently the big bang was just our universe "brane" touched anther 3-dimensial universe brane... (branes are like big sheets that float through hyper-dimensional space... or at least I'm pretty sure thats it).

plus dark matter / energy could be explained by other universes being close to ours, where there gravity effects us (apparently gravitons are able to move between universes due to have a closed loop string)

This is all according to string theory, but if I said something incorrect please tell me.

I always thought anti-matter repelled matter, and attracted anti-matter, the opposite of matter which would repel anti-matter and attract matter...

this isn't true?

Also, I've heard they made anti-hydrogen particles... if they could contain it using magnetic fields technically they could make anything using anti-matter, just like matter (or at least you'd think they would).

I always thought anti-matter repelled matter' date=' and attracted anti-matter, the opposite of matter which would repel anti-matter and attract matter...

this isn't true?

Also, I've heard they made anti-hydrogen particles... if they could contain it using magnetic fields technically they could make anything using anti-matter, just like matter (or at least you'd think they would).

[/quote']

No. Antimatter isn't anti-mass, as has been mentioned. And the other forces will behave just as they always do, so e.g. oppositely charged matter + antimatter will attract.

• 1 year later...

would it be at all possible if there is an universe and an antiuniverse connected through black holes, would they stop any differences under control stopping both the universe and an antiuniverse destroying one another? nothing much escapes a black hole am i right in thinkin?

• 2 weeks later...

I think you could access these other verses with a worm hole. Of course only theory, but couldn't you get there through a pocket of sub space? Although it's hard to find much difference between a parallel universe and antimatter verse. That's perhaps because little is known of either of them. I think though, if a worm hole can be established, than so should a path to another verse with a worm hole.

I think you could access these other verses with a worm hole. Of course only theory, but couldn't you get there through a pocket of sub space? Although it's hard to find much difference between a parallel universe and antimatter verse. That's perhaps because little is known of either of them. I think though, if a worm hole can be established, than so should a path to another verse with a worm hole.

If they are connected it is one universe.

There is no observed evidence for wormholes (although they are not invalid according to GR I believe)

is a dark matter verse one that could be accessed through subspace though? I mean, if it's remotely detectable here and now, what would it take to walk on one and in one? Or is it ever going to be possible?

I mean partaining to faster than light travel and time travel even. Often times subspace is used to describe different string theory concepts. I'm interested mostly in time travel and if it's even possible to utilize what would maybe be called subspace to travel. Put more simply, I really am intersted in another demension of the Space Time Continuum. So I guess the real question my mind is if we can access other demensions ultimately leading to dicoveries of several unknown universes?

• 2 weeks later...

"wow" as you put it must mean u may have found a flaw or two in my reasoning or logic? i imagine that'd be so, as i typed rather quickly; however, that dosn't change my question. i always believed the universe is too large to have a limited amount of demensions, and that it would be more like a circle, with infinite curvature...i'm merely looking for any input someone might have. just something to draw closer to a, be it, distant conclusion.

"wow" as you put it must mean u may have found a flaw or two in my reasoning or logic? i imagine that'd be so, as i typed rather quickly; however, that dosn't change my question. i always believed the universe is too large to have a limited amount of demensions, and that it would be more like a circle, with infinite curvature...i'm merely looking for any input someone might have. just something to draw closer to a, be it, distant conclusion.

well, seeing as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_subspace this is what they mean by subspace in string theory, i think you're getting your sci-fi a bit muddled in with your science.