Washing hands/E. Coli

I've heard/read from a few sources that it is very important to wash hands after urination, because Coliform lives on human skin everywhere from the belly button down to the upper thighs.

I'm confused, because I searched and couldn't find any information about E. Coli living on skin, and it seemed to contradict further declarations I've heard by some that the bacteria can be quite poisonous if it leaves the intestine, internally.

Could anyone confirm this? Why wash hands after urination, if you only touch your genitals for a few seconds and you don't touch any urine? Are all of our bodies really a toxic waste lining in the midsection? If so, HOW? What makes my skin so friendly to this 'deadly' bacteria? And why is it not living all over the rest of our bodies?

This topic has been driving me nuts lately, as I'm totally clueless.

Pardon if it belongs in the microbiology forum... I felt it was slightly more fitting in this one.

I just cringed reading your post. :eek:

I sure hope that your washing your hands everytime you urinate, at least for the sake of others around you.

I almost lost my mother to hepatitis due to someone's ignorance and uncleanliness at a local restaurant years ago.

Here's some info on Coliform and some other little "scary" pathogens that you could possibly spread from not washing your hands.

Coliform bacteria originate from soils, plants and human and animal wastes.

Fecal Coliform is a specific kind of coliform bacteria that are found primarily in the intestinal tracts of warm blooded mammals, humans, and birds. These bacteria are released into the environment through human and animal feces. My guess would be that "wiping" incorrectly might allow for Coliform to be colonized in the areas you described, although normally, fecal coliform by themselves are generally not pathogenic.

One species of fecal coliform bacteria is E.coli bacteria.

If they are present in high concentrations (usually in bodies of water) and are ingested or enter the skin through a cut or sore, or mucus membranes they may cause infections like typhoid fever, hepatitis, gastroenteritis, dysentery and ear infections.

Staphylococcus: These bacteria can live harmlessly on many skin surfaces, especially around the nose, mouth, genitals, and anus. When the skin is punctured or broken for any reason, staph bacteria can enter the wound and cause an infection with serious or even fatal consequences. Staph meningitis is just one of the many terrible infections. Clusters of cases can occur in groups of people who live in crowded conditions (such as in college dorms), often as a result of poor hygiene and sharing of things like linens and clothing.

Viral Hepatitis: The Hepatitis A virus is usually shed in the feces of an infected person. Blood and other bodily secretions such as urine may also be infectious.

Streptococci: are bacteria that are commonly found harmlessly living in the human respiratory, gut and genitourinary systems. Several species are capable of causing disease. Diseases due to direct infection with streptococcus include: Scarlet fever, toxic shock syndrom, cellulitis, necrotising fasciitis and many other serious manifestations.

Fungus called Candida albicans: Also known as "yeast infections, occurs naturally in the intestines, vagina and the skin and are often called an "opportunistic" microorganism. This means that it doesn't ordinarily cause disease, but under special conditions, such as a weakened immune system, it becomes pathogenic—capable of causing disease.

I could list many more, but as you can see, Coliform is the least of your, mine, and others worries.

Please, please, wash your hands everytime!!!

Hygene while cooking is a different story. Of course I wash my hands very often, but I'm still confused over why touching any part of the skin below the belly button and above the knees is so dirty. Washing after touching ones own skin seems to be a very minor concern to me compared to keeping hands clean for washing dishes, cooking, or after sneezing and the like.

If I accidentally itch my stomach, I guess I should wash my hands immediately? I certainly don't accidentally 'wipe' anywhere but very secluded areas ;)

I certainly don't accidentally 'wipe' anywhere but very secluded areas

:D I certainly hope not.

Maybe it's the sweat factor? The idea that some potential pathogens thrive in or around moist areas? That pathogens colonize and might get trapped under ones nails or transferred to the hands and end up being transmitted to someone who is immunologically compromised or vulnerable?

Or perhaps it's all about social stigmas? Like nose picking....

American anti-Hitler propaganda declared the Germans to be ``rapers of women, eaters of children, defilers of the dead, and pickers of their noses'' and picking one's nose in public is still a capital offense in some Middle Eastern countries.

http://jubal.westnet.com/hyperdiscordia/nosepicking.html

Although we all "itch" at times, the actual visualization of someone doing such, is also considered by some standards "improper etiquette" that denotes uncleanliness.

I don't know about the majority of other people worrying about the immediate areas outside of the "pubic triangle" per say, but I know I would lose my appetite if I saw a stranger digging in their bellybuttons, scratching their inner thigh, or "picking a wedgy" before handling or serving my food.

I might also be hesitant to shake their hand.

Of course, I find other areas of the body equally as taboo without washing ones hands. Like picking toenails, chewing fingernails, popping zits, picking ears and noses etc.

I worked in a major city hospital for years, and perhaps seeing the things that I did (like flesh-eating strep) made me an extremist when it comes to cleanliness. Remember, many forms of streptococci live harmlessly in and on the body. Sometimes, even disease-causing streptococci can be found in or on healthy people (carrier state).

If it's just you around or loved ones or friends that don't seem to care, I would say go for it.

Scratch, touch, and pick away at your own leisure.

But if others (strangers, mere acquintances) are around, you might want to wash your hands or try to reframe from touching, scratching certain areas. ;)

I, for one, I'm convinced that it mostly arises from social stigma. But, I just wash my hands with hot water after going to the bathroom, particularly in public places, so I don't freak out the germaphobes. I never use anit-bacterial soap, though. (Except for when I work in the lab, with E. coli. I do work with urinary tract infections, so obviously I don't want to compirmise myself)

But, I just wash my hands with hot water after going to the bathroom, particularly in public places, so I don't freak out the germaphobes.

I'm opposite. Unless the restroom is nearly empty and I have a plenty of time to thoroughly wash them. Because I feel like if I touch all of those things needed to be touched to wash my hands, I'll end up with more germs than I would have had in the first place.

I don't use my hands when opening public restroom doors either if I really don't need to. Or if I have long sleeves, I'll cover them over my hands when opening.

• 4 weeks later...

I wash my hands after going to the bathroom and especially after I've been in the lab. As a random question, what biohazard level is ecoli O157:H7 (the bad kind). I know it's pathogenic and has been responsible for a few outbreaks (one from a picnic in upper PA). I would imagine level 2 because I haven't heard of anyone having to use grey zones.

I'm opposite. Unless the restroom is nearly empty and I have a plenty of time to thoroughly wash them. Because I feel like if I touch all of those things needed to be touched to wash my hands' date=' I'll end up with more germs than I would have had in the first place.

I don't use my hands when opening public restroom doors either if I really don't need to. Or if I have long sleeves, I'll cover them over my hands when opening.[/quote']

Wash ALWAYS after defecation. Wash when it is necessary after urination. i.e. when washing dishes, serving food, anytime that germs could be more readily spread. But I can't agree more with Mayflower. If one turns on the facet in a public bathroom, then that area if rife with pathogens. (I am particularly phobic about this because of some of the people I've seen in public restrooms) So, after you wash your hands you have to turn the facet off, ergo receiving the same pathogens you and others have left there. This also goes for the towel dispensers or automatic dryers. "Pretending" to wash your hands with only water doesn't help either; you still pick up everybody elses little friends. I'm under the impression you're leaving with more than what you started with. If a bathroom is packed, (and when this is so, I only urinate) I'll just walk out of there. And yes, using the technique of covering your hand with a long-sleeved shirt to open the door is also very helpful. At least it makes me feel better.

If you're wondering how I waylay the use of a facet or dryer with my hands, I usually do two things. One, when the bathrooms packed, I'll leave the water running and airdry my hands. Two, when there is no one in the bathroom, I can use my elbow or foot (I'm very flexible in times like these). However, when I use the towel dispenser, I still use my forearm/elbow, but then I can turn the water off with paper towels. It all works out. I have become so used to this, it is instinct.

Does anyone remember Seinfeld?!!! I have always been able to relate life to something depicted in Seinfeld...and this is no different. There is an episode where Jerry is using the restroom and the owner of the restaurant he is in comes out of the stall and leaves. Jerry looks around in disgust/disbelief. As a result of this, Jerry won't eat anyfood the chef has prepared...proceed many hilarious scenes...

I mentioned this to show the effect it has on the public. Although the chef did not wash his hands in the restroom, there was always the possiblity of washing them in the kitchen. Even though this is so, it makes people very queasy...I think we're better off not knowing, because this sort of event will happen no matter where you go. *this may also be why people just run their hands under the facet--to reassure everyone else; it works, of course, and it also makes you look like you have more hygiene than you really do...kind of dishonest, but at least it prevents you from getting any funny looks from the people when you don't wash.*

Seemingly all of us scientists, germuaphobias are using the precautions of eliminating bacterias from our hands when going to washroom. We know all the peril bacterias and what they can cause, while the general population exceeding scientists don't give a darn. Whenever I go to the public washroom in restaurant, school and I would wash my hands with warm water. While I am doing it, I would see a guy escape the washroom without taking the precautions. My face would make a grimance, and think, "Oh, how digusting!!". I've read some sources that people who are extreme germuaphobias can even be more sicker than the general population. Scientists have proved that some of the bacterias are safe and healthy, and we need some of them. So those who use paper towels or kleenex to pull door open or turn facuets, you better put them away. The healthy bacterias won't kill you. Also I have read a newspaper article saying that you can get sick from sharing your saliva. That's why you need to have your own personal hygines such as toothbrush, hair brush, etc. Also if you are a carrier of a bad bacteria such as mengatitis and they are generally locate in your throat. So if you share your lipstick or drinks with someone else, they could catch the mengatitis bacteria and became really sick.

So the point is, I'm just saying to wash your hands regularly, not too much, nor enough. Just do it properly and you'll be fine. :)