An easy way for making solid iodine

Alchemist

Does any of you now of an easy way of make solid iodine?

I know Iodine is made by oxidizing Iodide with Chlorine gas:

2I- + Cl2 -> 2Cl- + I2

Also I know it can be made by:

NaI(s) + H2SO4(l) -> HI(g) + NaHSO4(s)

and then:

HI(g) + H2SO4(l) -> I(g) + SO2(g) +H2O(l)

I know that these methods can be applied but I don't have good equipments for me to trapping and guiding the gases(at the moment) :D , so any body got any other methods that involve gases and aren't a little too complex for doing this???? :)

if you use Cl2, use a great excess, lest you get I3-

i wouldnt use H2SO4 as an oxidizing agent. i once did so and it reduced all the way to H2S. HI is actually quite the reducer. try using H2O2 with the HI. oh, and dont use conc H2SO4 with the iodide, or you'll liberate HI. you can do it all aqueous if it's dilute enough. HI causes reproductive failure, among other ailments

HI causes reproductive failure, among other ailments

Are you sure about that? I mean, I can see the troubles it might cause if you soak your genitals in there, but otherwise I can't fathom how it can alter a reproductive system. ;) HI is a very strong haloacid and easily dissociates into H+ ions and I- ions in contact with water, so inside the body it does not exist as HI at all. Therefore, you just need to examine the toxicity of the H+ and I- ions. The I- ion is not very toxic at all, and I have not found any toxicity data for HI beyond what you would expect to find for acids. (Corrosive to skin, damaging to respiratory tract, causes pulmonary oedema, etc. etc.). NOWHERE is there any toxicological data stating that HI causes reporductive damage.

Now does that mean that I want to be inhaling the stuff? God no. The damage it does to your respiratory tract is nasty enough. :D

That may work, but not to a great extent at all. The iodide ion simply acts as a catalyst in the decomposition of hydroxgen peroxide. You may make some iodine, but that will instantly form the I3- ion in solution and you'll no longer have your solid iodine crystals. It's just not a very effective method of producing iodine. Using a hypochlorite solution would be much more effective at turning iodide to iodine.