f(x)dx

Brainee

6 minutes ago, Brainee said:

what doe f(x)dx mean and how is it used?

f(x) represents a function of x

dx is a differential; it’s found in an integral (you could integrate f(x)dx) or as a derivative, as in dy/dx

30 minutes ago, Brainee said:

I find the graphical representation of this the most helpful in understanding it.

If you plot f(x) against x as a curve, f(x)dx  - i.e. f(x) times the infinitesimal length dx along the x axis  - is an infinitesimally thin vertical strip of area under the curve at the value x. If you add up a series of such strips you get a block of area under the curve. That is what integration does: it gives you the area under the curve representing the function, between two points on the x axis. The integral sign, ∫ , indicates a sum of these infinitely thin strips, adding up to a finite value for the area.

Here is one example: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zq3ggk7/revision/1

This basic idea spins off into a host of applications, all over natural science and engineering. 

Edited by exchemist

14 minutes ago, Brainee said:

How do you calculate f(x) times dx?

What you calculate is the integral. Have you looked at the example I gave you a link for? That shows you how you do the calculation.

1 hour ago, Brainee said:

Some good news and some bad news. The good news is that [math]f(x) \rm{dx}[/math] has a completely rigorous mathematical meaning. The bad news is that it's an advanced topic in the undergrad or early grad school math curriculum, and basically not accessible to calculus students. I wish there were a better way. Differential forms are basically "things that can be integrated over suitable regions," but that doesn't really help us understand them.

Edited by wtf