What would it be like to never contempt?

Hi

I contempt everyday in my thoughts, maybe people see it through my acts

I feel it is toxic to me, like being mean doesn't makes you feel good

I think I do this to make me feel I'm better than others, to reassure myself, I think it's weakness.

I try to stop, but it looks to be widespread in myself

I guess there could have benefits from this like in maybe everything, I struggle to understand the "Virtues" part of the Wikipedia article by the way

One benefit I think about this is to build who you are, I mean knowing what you like, and what you don't, getting firm and reliable

I would like to never contempt again, but would my life expectancy reduce a lot? I would prefer living without this even if the time duration decreases, but not sure about 24h...

Do you have an idea of what would it be like to never contempt?

11 hours ago, raphaelh42 said:

would like to never contempt again, but would my life expectancy reduce a lot? I would prefer living without this even if the time duration decreases, but not sure about 24h...

Moving away from such habits of being judgemental and uncharitable would only serve to lengthen lifespan and improve health, IMO.  A lot of negative harsh judgements come from not really understanding someone's whole story, and you can often get to a more positive view by an effort to understand them.  There are exceptions of course - people who are so damaged and twisted that it's not possible to really avoid being critical - but in that case you can opt to not dwell on them.  We have had public figures here in US who one must, at some point, just stop reading about them or watching them on media.  Best not to give them oxygen.  

School promotes this type of mentality in a lot of people. Unfortunately.

People get their degrees and believe they know everything there is to know because the books can't be wrong. right? Wrong. Science in books has been proven incorrect time and time again because of arrogance by some scientists. Learn to eat humble pie and you won't feel contempt.

The arrogance of scientists (bmartin.cc)

There is possibly a topic shift there.  And one that has an ironic quality, given the OP.  

Let me see if I can illustrate:

I want to change my judgmental reflex and feel less contempt for others.

Now, let's discuss those people who get degrees and think they know everything, and arrogant scientists who can't ever be wrong.

😀

Maybe one should ask, is it possible to be critical in a useful way, and without contempt for the person?  

I remember how distasteful I found American politics when Obama was president, and there was a segment of society that couldn't just disagree with his policies or suggest better ones - they had to attack him, constantly, as "arrogant."  

59 minutes ago, TheVat said:

I want to change my judgmental reflex and feel less contempt for others.

Now, let's discuss those people who get degrees and think they know everything, and arrogant scientists who can't ever be wrong.

The 'judgmental reflex and feel less contempt for others.' is the result of formal education because formal education doesn't foster critical thinking. It shapes/hammers the brain into accepting everything without fact checking or using intellect.

Maybe one should ask, is it possible to be critical in a useful way, and without contempt for the person?  

Yes. Prove the other person wrong in a humble way instead of saying 'because science said so' or 'because my book said so' while at the same time not providing indisputable evidence.

Scientific books are so watered down from their topics that its laughable to those who have actually learnt from the raw data.

I remember how distasteful I found American politics when Obama was president, and there was a segment of society that couldn't just disagree with his policies or suggest better ones - they had to attack him, constantly, as "arrogant."

Shining the light is more like it and what you're doing is misdirection. Making it personal and not seeing the errors in your thinking.

Edited by genio

2 hours ago, genio said:

People get their degrees and believe they know everything there is to know because the books can't be wrong. right?

Unfortunately, you're ignoring an important part of the equation: reason and critical thinking. The books are built on data turned into information, but when you actually study the books and debate/discuss them, critical thinking helps turn the information into knowledge. I think you've been using this whole "scientists are arrogant" narrative as an excuse not to "conform". Since I have absolutely no contempt for you, I'd love to see you get over this stumbling block and gain something useful from science discussion.

I really appreciate your replies

I notice no mention of benefit of contempt in these.

I know that contempt contains anger, which I think is useful for noticing that you really don't like something that is like imposed on you

Like a signal saying "you have to change that", of course it's not always easy to understand/act I guess

please tell if you think I'm missing something fundamental about anger's purpose

But about contempt, would that just be a defective form of anger that has no benefit at all?

Edited by raphaelh42

Genio has shown 'contempt' for people who put in the effort and hard work to understand a subject and get a degree.
But is he  angry at them; I don't think so.
Quite possibly, he is angry at himselffor never having the intestinal fortitude and willingness to be able to do the same

8 hours ago, raphaelh42 said:

I really appreciate your replies

I notice no mention of benefit of contempt in these.

I know that contempt contains anger, which I think is useful for noticing that you really don't like something that is like imposed on you

Like a signal saying "you have to change that", of course it's not always easy to understand/act I guess

please tell if you think I'm missing something fundamental about anger's purpose

But about contempt, would that just be a defective form of anger that has no benefit at all?

Contempt requires you to assume your knowledge and understanding is better than their's, you have no reason to assume that; even if they're in a wheelchair and dribbling, because you might be talking to Stephen Hawkins, or his twin. 

Anger is for now not tomorrow, it's a base reaction to something you don't like, on the good end it stops someone from attacking you, physically, on the bad end it gives you an excuse to attack someone you JUST disagree with.

Contempt implies arrogance. 

As demonstrated by @genio

On 5/18/2023 at 3:32 AM, raphaelh42 said:

Do you have an idea of what would it be like to never contempt?

Serenity, regularity, absence of vanity,Sincerity, simplicity, veracity, equanimity, Fixity, non-irritability, adaptability, Humility, tenacity, integrity, nobility, magnanimity, charity, generosity, purity. Practise daily these eighteen "ities" You will soon attain immortality. - Socrates

Not all eighteen every day, five a day should be plenty... 😉

48 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Contempt requires you to assume your knowledge and understanding is better than their's, you have no reason to assume that; even if they're in a wheelchair and dribbling, because you might be talking to Stephen Hawkins, or his twin. 

Anger is for now not tomorrow, it's a base reaction to something you don't like, on the good end it stops someone from attacking you, physically, on the bad end it gives you an excuse to attack someone you JUST disagree with.

Serenity, regularity, absence of vanity,Sincerity, simplicity, veracity, equanimity, Fixity, non-irritability, adaptability, Humility, tenacity, integrity, nobility, magnanimity, charity, generosity, purity. Practise daily these eighteen "ities" You will soon attain immortality. - Socrates

+1

On 5/19/2023 at 12:57 PM, Genady said:

Maybe OP is simply unfortunate to be surrounded by people, e.g., at work, who really deserve contempt?

Why do they deserve contempt? 

They're not doing the job as well as you or they're not as educated as you or they don't work as hard as you?

Shoudn't they deserve your pitty?

Because they're never going to be as successful as you, but maybe they're happier...

On 5/19/2023 at 12:49 PM, dimreepr said:

Anger is for now not tomorrow

I think I see what you mean, I guess I was talking about another type, the discrete one that you get for a long time until one day a result occurs

On 5/19/2023 at 12:49 PM, dimreepr said:

I didn't know this quote, I think it's great I really appreciate thank you

On 5/19/2023 at 1:57 PM, Genady said:

Maybe OP is simply unfortunate to be surrounded by people, e.g., at work, who really deserve contempt?

I don't have an example to share that I think would bring an useful info sorry, I don't understand what says when someone really deserve contempt, I guess it's subjective

I thought of a benefit of contempt, a person who felt despised could have a reaction that pushes him to become more powerful

9 minutes ago, raphaelh42 said:

I don't have an example to share that I think would bring an useful info sorry, I don't understand what says when someone really deserve contempt, I guess it's subjective

Trump.

Here is a quote from Beneath contempt Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster:

beneath contempt

idiom

: completely bad or worthless 

used to describe someone or something that is too bad to deserve any respect
She's a liar who is beneath contempt.

15 hours ago, raphaelh42 said:

I think I see what you mean, I guess I was talking about another type, the discrete one that you get for a long time until one day a result occurs

I didn't know this quote, I think it's great I really appreciate thank you

I thought of a benefit of contempt, a person who felt despised could have a reaction that pushes him to become more powerful

Anger and contempt are ways to describe hate and, while that could be useful in some case's *, it's usually more harmful to you than it is to "them".

* I think what you mean is, someone you dislike says you can't achieve your goals and it spurs you on, to prove them wrong; you should be thanking them, not holding them in contempt.

Edited by dimreepr

On 5/18/2023 at 3:10 PM, Phi for All said:

Unfortunately, you're ignoring an important part of the equation: reason and critical thinking. The books are built on data turned into information, but when you actually study the books and debate/discuss them, critical thinking helps turn the information into knowledge. I think you've been using this whole "scientists are arrogant" narrative as an excuse not to "conform". Since I have absolutely no contempt for you, I'd love to see you get over this stumbling block and gain something useful from science discussion.

Critical thinking is an innate ability to see bias, not hold beliefs and not overlook information. Combining information into knowledge while maintaining confirmation bias and holding beliefs is what mainly occurs when books are written.

I'm a born nonconformist.

I will gain something useful when some people actually use the scientific method and stop treating Science like a cult where nobody is allowed to see the world independently.

On 5/18/2023 at 10:24 PM, MigL said:

Genio has shown 'contempt' for people who put in the effort and hard work to understand a subject and get a degree.
But is he  angry at them; I don't think so.
Quite possibly, he is angry at himselffor never having the intestinal fortitude and willingness to be able to do the same

Copy and paste a subject into their minds and get a piece of paper with a fancy golden symbol. Hence extrinsic motivation.

I feel resentment at formally educated scientists for overlooking the science of a particular subject because of their confirmation bias and corrupt mentality. I made a complex hidden world changing discovery that will eventually collapse all the corrupt industries because I lived through hell and it bothers me how formally educated scientists are paid billions, and can't even see the arrogance and errors in their conditioned ways of thinking.

I have no choice. I can't obtain a formal education by forcing myself to learn misconceptions.

On 5/19/2023 at 6:49 AM, dimreepr said:

Very well articulated. While I have an issue with the educational system because it tends to foster the know it all mentality in a good amount of people. You've explained the contempt tree beautifully.

I'm wondering if the OP is in a position of authority and should use empowerment towards others by enlightening them on their ignorance and/or be open to being wrong instead of feeling contempt.

Is empowerment the opposite of arrogance?
ChatGPT
Yes, empowerment can be considered the opposite of arrogance.

Arrogance is characterized by an exaggerated sense of self-importance, an inflated ego, and a disregard for the opinions, needs, or contributions of others. It often involves an attitude of superiority and a lack of humility.

Empowerment, on the other hand, involves recognizing and respecting the worth and abilities of individuals, promoting their autonomy, and providing them with the tools and resources to take control of their own lives and make meaningful decisions. It encourages a sense of self-confidence and self-empowerment while also valuing the input and capabilities of others.

In this sense, empowerment and arrogance are contrasting attitudes. Empowerment fosters a collaborative and inclusive mindset, while arrogance promotes a self-centered and dismissive approach.

https://chat.openai.com/

Edited by genio