Having Trouble Answering the Question: "Why Do You Want to Work Here?"

Bunty12

Hello Everyone,

I am currently in the process of applying for jobs and am running into a problem. I am having trouble answering the question reference "Why do you want to work here?" I understand that the interviewer is expecting me to express my interest in the company, but I'm struggling to come up with the right words.

Has anyone else struggled with this question? If so, what strategies did you use to answer it? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Phi for All
No advertising, please.

2 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

We all know why, but for some reason "because I have too" isn't good enough...

An honest answer was the only answer I was looking for when I was the interviewer.

It's kind of a trick question, isn't it?

They already know why you need a job; they already know the choices available to you.

Proceed on the assumption that they're aware of your situation.

As to their motivation in asking:

Maybe you have a skill that's in demand, and they don't want to hire somebody who will be poached away by a rival, once he's learned all their secrets. So they want some indication that you're not motivated pay alone. 

Maybe the position requires a certain degree of interpersonal confidence and they want to know how much bullshit to expect from you. 

Maybe they have recently introduces some costly upgrades and want to know whether that attracts good prospective employees. 

If you're not aware of anything like that, have no reason to prefer one employer over another from their POV, then think of your own: commuting time, flexibility, work environment, security, reputation of the company. If none of that is a factor, try simply an interest in the work itself.  If you've applied to more than one company for the same position, be open about it: I want this job at whichever company feels like the best fit - or has the best benefit package - or offers it first.

4 hours ago, Bunty12 said:

Hello Everyone,

I am currently in the process of applying for jobs and am running into a problem. I am having trouble answering the question reference "Why do you want to work here?" I understand that the interviewer is expecting me to express my interest in the company, but I'm struggling to come up with the right words.

Has anyone else struggled with this question? If so, what strategies did you use to answer it? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

They already know you need a job to survive. Tell them why the job is good for you other than the money. Bonus points if what is good for you is also good for them.

e.g.

I see this job as a great opportunity for me to grow in a field that works to improve the human condition, something that is of great interest to me.

24 minutes ago, Genady said:

If "here" they mean the company, you could just repeat their mission statement. If they mean the specific position you're applying for, your answer should be more substantial.

Oh God, I’d never advise someone to repeat a mission statement. They are always such bland  BS. You could talk about your own perception of the company and its activities, personal factors that make it a good fit for you - and best of all, you could perhaps find a way to turn it round and ask the interviewer questions. I was always impressed by candidates who could turn the interview round. 

Edited by exchemist

2 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Oh God, I’d never advise someone to repeat a mission statement. They are always such bland  BS. You could talk about your own perception of the company and its activities, personal factors that make it a good fit for you - and best of all, you could perhaps find a way to turn it round and ask the interviewer questions. I was always impressed by candidates who could turn the interview round. 

Perhaps we're talking about different companies. In my case, if the interviewer asks such a bs question and the applicant verbatim repeats their bs mission statement, we both smile, it creates a good rapport, and we go to substance.

One of my winning answers to a substantial question was (from 27 years ago), "I understand that you're looking for a person who can efficiently upgrade your system from the old platform A to the new platform B. I have this-and-this experience with A and such-and-such experience with B. I am the right person to do this job."

Here at Penrose Tile Co. our goal is to cover the Earth's surface with aperiodic tilings, consisting of our two types of cement rhombi: kites and darts.  

Interviewee:  When I saw your advert, I knew immediately that my deep hatred of biological groundcover, advocacy of universal paving, and love of aperiodic tesselation would be a perfect fit with PTC!  How soon can I start?

4 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Here at Penrose Tile Co. our goal is to cover the Earth's surface with aperiodic tilings, consisting of our two types of cement rhombi: kites and darts.  

Interviewee:  When I saw your advert, I knew immediately that my deep hatred of biological groundcover, advocacy of universal paving, and love of aperiodic tesselation would be a perfect fit with PTC!  How soon can I start?

Exactly. +1

What is a better way to reply when asked why one wants to work in Merrill Lynch? Just replace "help us" with "help you": 

The Organization’s Mission

To act in ways that help us to: understand the client by anticipating and responding to client needs. Fulfill client expectations without compromising the integrity of Merrill Lynch.

Working At Merrill Lynch: Employee Reviews And Culture - Zippia

2 hours ago, exchemist said:

It depends a lot on the type of position and level, but these questions are fundamentally aimed at finding a fit with the candidate. In this question one can explore how much the candidate knows about the company and the ideally about the involved duties but also allows the candidate express their goals. So I agree that this is usually where both candidate and interviewer get a good rapport.

2 hours ago, Genady said:

Perhaps we're talking about different companies. In my case, if the interviewer asks such a bs question and the applicant verbatim repeats their bs mission statement, we both smile, it creates a good rapport, and we go to substance.

This sounds a bit like an HR-type, assessment centre or otherwise "canned" interview process, which obviously exist. 

22 minutes ago, CharonY said:

This sounds a bit like an HR-type, assessment centre or otherwise "canned" interview process, which obviously exist. 

It was about 30 years ago. Might be irrelevant now.

A related, similar HR question is "where do you see yourself in five years?”"..

I searched the net to verify how to spell it and got this:

Answer for “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?” “In five years, I see myself as an integral part of the company who has helped contribute to the growth and success of the organization. I would like to continue developing my skills and knowledge in order to be able to take on more responsibility within the company.

I don't believe that people honestly answer such stupid questions..

"If I win the lottery, I will buy this company, just to fire you..." ;)

I think its just a trick question so that the interviewer knows how resourceful your answer would be since most answers are cliche. Its best be honest and safe like saying, you wanted to contribute to the company while you learn and gain experience from them or something like that. 

Was asked roughly this at the interview for where I'm at now.

I said I was interested in the benefits package, company culture, and growing in skills. Do need to do some quick research so you know what you're talking about.

Edited by Endy0816