The davinci code

tskaze

I've been reading this book, and i really like it, but im wondering what parts are true and which are fiction. I don't care even a little bit about the religious conspiracy aspects, but various things like the church waging a smear campaign against the pentacle are hard to tell between fact and fiction. I'm guessing brown didnt falsify EVERYTHING but i also doubt he never took some artistic license. so if someone could either tell me a few truths from it, or point me to a site with no agenda (religios or non-religious) id really appreciate it.

Not only was it a pile of illogical crap with badly thought out arguments, it was also badly written.

Edit: With regard to the veracity of Dan Brown's sources, remember that this is the same author who had a terrorist stealing anti-matter from CERN by carrying it out in a suitcase....

I thought the writing itself was decent but tiresome, and much of his plot was lacking in originiality, far too cliche. I don't actually mind him rewriting history for fiction (I read Dirk Pitt novels for God's Sake) but the storyline was reminiscent of many sub-avergage treasure hunt stories, and throughout, no shocking revelations were actually discovered, the main character simply told you about them. That in itself was an enormous mistake. And then in the ending, it didn't finish with a thrilling bang, it just sort of reached a very subtle peak, and finished off quietly.

The book read like a plot out of a very typical, moderately-budgeted Hollywood suspense flick. Although this was the reason I didn't think the book was that great, it's also the reason I suspect so many people loved it.

In any event, regarding the alleged "facts" of the book, there really is a Priory of Sion, but it's a real-life scam. One of the founding members of the group admitted that the group was created as part of an elaborate ruse in the mid-20th century, yet Brown puts it into his novel as though the group has had its roots and connections to the grail going back ages.

But again, this book is fiction and should be acknowledged as such. I just singled out the Priory bit because Brown put it in his intro as part of the "factual" elements of the book.

• 2 months later...