Algebra or Geometry

jutntog1

Geometry because it doesn't involve greater amounts of Algebra. However the case, I would like to tell you that all mathematics are important.

Do your best at learning Algebra and Geometry.

I suggest you find a nice mathematics board/forum and practice your algebra skills there. One that constantly gets updated is AOPS.

When I went to college, I forgot most of my mathematic studies and wish I had kept up. Because I hadn't I had to take many math courses over again. :mad:

The problem is that at higher levels, geometry and algebra are very greatly intertwined. For example, the study of quadratic forms and their associated shapes is closely linked to bilinear forms and the various algebraic goodness that goes along with it.

Having said that, at your age I much prefered algebra to geometry - re-arranging equations was so much simpler ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is an interesting question, at the very least for aesthetic purposes.

Geometric proofs can be very pretty... "proofs without words." The only problems with them is that they are really only good when working up to powers of 2. At least Plane geometry. Sure you can get higher dimensional geometry, but looking at an n-dimensional proof gets less intuitive after a while. So while geometric proofs are cool, you'll probably have to rely on some symbolic representation after a while, which is cool in itself.

One of the most interesting things I like to look at is the "Geometric Algebra" outlined throughout Euclid's elements. Such that algebraic expressions were represented and solved using geometrical methods. The Greeks mostly preferred to represent their expressions geometrically after Hippocrates demostrated the irrationality of the squareroot of 2. This was seen as a difficiency in algebra and arithmetic, and it was figured that geometry was superior because it had no problem representing the squareroot of 2 as the hypoteneuse of an isoseles right triangle.

I also just started geometry, yes 9th grade math is quite fun, and I like it. It's so much more practical and applicable to life than algebra. But this is from someone who isn't crazy about math, I love it but I am really into biology.

I prefer algebra, it's more general by nature and it's useful nearly everywhere. You can't go far in mathematics or in theoretical sciences without a good understanding of algebra, geometry, while extremely useful, doesn't seems as necessary. The power and importance even of elementary algebra is really impressive...