iPod

herme3

An iPod will store any song you can import into iTunes, including .mp3, .wav, .aiff and .aac (the latter two being Apple formats, AFAIK) The songs bought from the iTunes music store are in .m4p format, which is Apple's DRM (digital rights management) format, and can also go in an iPod. So anything you buy on a CD can be ripped into iTunes and put on your iPod.

What you can't do is put anybody else's DRM music on your iPod. But that's basically true of any music player - it will play limited DRM formats; whatever it has licensed.

As BJC as said, you can often bypass DRM by burning the songs to a music CD and then re-importing them. iTunes included; it won't let you burn .m4ps as .mp3, but you can burn regular music CDs and then re-import if you want to go to that trouble.

An iPod will store any song you can import into iTunes' date=' including .mp3, .wav, .aiff and .aac (the latter two being Apple formats, AFAIK) The songs bought from the iTunes music store are in .m4p format, which is Apple's DRM (digital rights management) format, and can also go in an iPod. So anything you buy on a CD can be ripped into iTunes and put on your iPod.

What you can't do is put anybody else's DRM music on your iPod. But that's basically true of any music player - it will play limited DRM formats; whatever it has licensed.

As BJC as said, you can often bypass DRM by burning the songs to a music CD and then re-importing them. iTunes included; it won't let you burn .m4ps as .mp3, but you can burn regular music CDs and then re-import if you want to go to that trouble.[/quote']

You can get programs that will strip the drm off of the file for you and produce a clean file :D

Why does everyone like ipods?

Now this is me just being really ignornant, but apple makes s%$@. Ad im sick of their modern looking crap. Im sick of ipods and itunes. You can't even download quicktime anymore without it being insanely bundled with itunes crap.

Now im sorry to oanyone here who favors apple electronics, but it is my persoanl opinion that there products suck.

Ok, forget about that pointless rant, why are iPods so popular? There more expensive, made by apple, and hold just as much as a nice creative mp3 player that cost's less. Do they have good battery life or something? Good sound quality? People just like them?

ipods are just trendy that's why they are popular. I would quite like a digital media player, but I wouldn't even consider an ipod as I consider iTunes to be the spawn of saten.

They're not bad players at all, the battery life isn't spectacular if I remember correctly, the sound quality is alright (as long as you ditch the headphones you get with it). They had to recall lots of them because the batteries started to break :(

Personally I'm very tempted by the sony's (shame about sonic stage it's nearly as bad as iTunes), creatives and iRivers which genuinly impress me...

Why does everyone like ipods?

Now this is me just being really ignornant' date=' but apple makes s%$@. Ad im sick of their modern looking crap. Im sick of ipods and itunes. You can't even download quicktime anymore without it being insanely bundled with itunes crap.

Now im sorry to oanyone here who favors apple electronics, but it is my persoanl opinion that there products suck.

Ok, forget about that pointless rant, why are iPods so popular? There more expensive, made by apple, and hold just as much as a nice creative mp3 player that cost's less. Do they have good battery life or something? Good sound quality? People just like them?[/quote']

The stuff they make has a strong tendency to work, right out of the box. YMMV. It's a market economy, so buy whatever you want.

The iPod was the first large-capacity player and it's got a really good user interface, and iTunes store was the first source of a wide spectrum of legal, inexpensive downloads with a large library. Everybody else is playing copy-cat.

no im not kidding swansoft, i do not know the exact numbers, but a great percentage of kids have ipods, i could easily guess 20%/

I don't deny that a lot of kids have iPods. But "every other kid" would be 5 out of 10, or 50%.

I understand that you weren't being literal; it was just a funny combination of phrases, and I wanted to make a comment. So how about we let this go, and I'll overlook the insulting misspelling of my user name.

I own an iPod mini and I love it. I think apple customer service really separates the iPods from the knock-offs even more. I let a friend barrow my iPod and he managed to throw it on the ground breaking it. So I brought it up to the nearest apple store and they replaced it with no questions asked. Can you count on that with any other mp3 player?

Yeah, it's much safer to buy from a bigger more well known company. We found our old PS2 this summer in the back of a closet. We hadn't played it in a while (we got an xbox :D) and when we hooked it up it didn't work. We called up Sony, and they said to send it in, so they could "fix it". Well I guess they gave up, because the box that came back had a brand new PS2 in it :D

My Phillips DMM mp3 player (which was a piece of crap) had the lithium batter die after like four months. I called the company and there was nothing they could do! So I got an ipod :D