DeSantis and Disney

StringJunky

DeSantis’ board says Disney stripped them of power

Board members picked by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to oversee the governance of Walt Disney World said Wednesday that their Disney-controlled predecessors pulled a fast one on them by passing restrictive covenants that strip the new board of many of its powers.

The current supervisors of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District said at a meeting that their predecessors last month signed a development agreement with the company that gave Disney maximum developmental power over the theme park resort’s 27,000 acres in central Florida.

The five supervisors were appointed by the Republican governor to the board after the Florida Legislature overhauled Disney’s government in retaliation for the entertainment giant publicly opposing so-called “Don’t Say Gay” legislation that bars instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade, as well as lessons deemed not age-appropriate.

In taking on Disney, DeSantis furthered his reputation as a culture warrior willing to battle perceived political enemies and wield the power of state government to accomplish political goals, a strategy that is expected to continue ahead of his potential White House run.

Under the terms of the agreement, the district is prohibited from using the name “Disney” or any symbols associated with the theme park resort without the company’s permission, nor can it use the likeness of Mickey Mouse, other Disney characters or other intellectual property in any manner. The company can sue for damages for any violations, and the agreement is in effect until perpetuity, according to the declaration.

If the agreement is deemed to violate rules against perpetuity, it will be in effect until 21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of England’s King Charles III, the declaration said. https://apnews.com/article/disney-world-desantis-florida-theme-park-65ba19dd7af7927b07185f52d0a6e2a7

Disney has been very busy tweaking some of its governance practices and rules preparing for DeSantis-friendly stooges on its board. Will the GOP be able to dismantle what Disney has done? The last paragraph made me smile... quite original.

36 minutes ago, swansont said:

We're going to start seeing royal descendants die off, like we're in an Agatha Christie novel.

Oh, don't threaten me with a good time. Perhaps Disney will send in Basil to solve the murders!

4 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Disney has been very busy tweaking some of its governance practices and rules preparing for DeSantis-friendly stooges on its board. Will the GOP be able to dismantle what Disney has done? The last paragraph made me smile... quite original.

Yeah that part cracked me up. I was wondering why Didney had been so calm about it.

5 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Disney has been very busy tweaking some of its governance practices and rules preparing for DeSantis-friendly stooges on its board. Will the GOP be able to dismantle what Disney has done?

If they have sufficient control of the legislature, yes. There’s a hierarchy here: 

Corporate governance >> County / City governance >> State governance >> Federal governance >> AI algorithm large language model mind control / new world order governance

(that last one won’t actually be a thing until Tuesday, but the deployment is ahead of schedule)

2 hours ago, swansont said:

We're going to start seeing royal descendants die off, like we're in an Agatha Christie novel.

Excellent.  I also was thinking of the Alec Guinness classic, Kind Hearts and Coronets.  

1 hour ago, npts2020 said:

Wonder what they would do if Disney closed its theme park and moved it?

That's likely too extreme, even for them. They have multiple parks here, hotels and own surrounding land(~25k acres in total). If anything are likely to expand to keep pace with Universal. Have high speed rail coming too(cruise line connector), increasing the pressure.

I'm sure they're planning to simply wait DeSantis out. They can afford to play the long game.

Edited by Endy0816

26 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

That's likely too extreme, even for them. They have multiple parks here, hotels and own surrounding land(~25k acres in total). If anything are likely to expand to keep pace with Universal. Have high speed rail coming too(cruise line connector), increasing the pressure.

I'm sure they're planning to simply wait DeSantis out. They can afford to play the long game.

Taking a cue from the Chinese regime.

5 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Taking a cue from the Chinese regime.

Pretty much.

Honestly, think Reedy Creek should have creased decades ago when EPCOT ended up a theme park instead of a city. I figure either way we're all better off with them going at it.

Edited by Endy0816

21 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

Yep, and Disney can afford to buy the next governor and enough state and local legislators to do pretty much whatever they want...

On 3/31/2023 at 9:44 PM, npts2020 said:

Yep, and Disney can afford to buy the next governor and enough state and local legislators to do pretty much whatever they want...

May not even have to. It's going to be an interesting election season already.

Disney is currently attacking DeSantis as being anti-business.

Been wondering, has there been anything released by King Charles in regards?

Edited by Endy0816

2 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

May not even have to. It's going to be an interesting election season already.

Disney is currently attacking DeSantis as being anti-business.

Been wondering, has there been anything released by King Charles in regards?

He has let it be known that he is happy to part with Harry if that will break the deadlock.

It is wrong to mock the afflicted but it seems to me that De Santis  bears a physical similarity  to Micky Mouse.

Trump has attacked him for having been bested by a mouse but perhaps it was a fair contest and he was just wrong footed  by the genuine article?

• 1 month later...

à

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

Names aren't important.  Properly sized tumbrels are.

Never! I've recently become a huge believer in their positive impact on tourism.

Is funny that this needless fight seems to have taken much of the wind out of DeSantis's sails.

Edited by Endy0816