Can you distinguish between a British, Australian and American?

kenny1999

under the condition that they are not allowed to talk so that you don't know their accent. Is it possible to make a promising guess through their biological appearance i.e. not their dressing style and what would that be?

Edited by kenny1999

4 minutes ago, kenny1999 said:

under the condition that they are not allowed to talk so that you don't know their accent. Is it possible to make a promising guess through their biological appearance i.e. not their dressing style and what would that be?

Driving along the main street when a cruise ship is in port and tourists cruising the town, one can say fairly quickly if they are American tourists or British tourists.

Americans don't IMHO have consistent traits such that you can always distinguish them.  In the northern Plains where I grew up and lived a large percent of my life, people who travel often report being asked if they're Canadian.  When I was in the UK, people invariably asked if I was Canadian, and I was okay with that.  There is a segment of American tourists that can be, TBH, rather whiny and entitled.  And even if such tourists are only 40% of American tourists, they are the ones that are noticed and stick in people's minds.  Unfortunate.  

No, biology cannot.
But the gun the American is carrying can.

2 hours ago, TheVat said:

When I was in the UK, people invariably asked if I was Canadian, and I was okay with that. 

They would have known you weren't Canadian as soon as you answered, unless your answer was "Yes. I'm sorry."

9 hours ago, Sensei said:

Most white Americans are not from Britain. There are only 7.1% of them:

Americans.png.1183917e2ee9c5aec5f71e44879525f7.pngEuropean_Ancestry_in_the_US_by_county.jp

That map has a real problem which would be extremely obvious to anyone living here, especially in southwestern quadrant of the USA.

Hint: German is not the major ancestry there.  It's another large European country, which is not listed at all there.  

10 hours ago, Sensei said:

Americans.png.1183917e2ee9c5aec5f71e44879525f7.png

The Scots are from Britain and you could have a long argument about the Irish.
The idea of "European Americans" is also a bit daft (choose one or the other) but that's a different question.

3 hours ago, geordief said:

Buy one ,get the other half price

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65047436

The country can't really afford either.

13 hours ago, TheVat said:

That map has a real problem which would be extremely obvious to anyone living here, especially in southwestern quadrant of the USA.

Hint: German is not the major ancestry there.  It's another large European country, which is not listed at all there.  

What I have shown on this map are non-Latino White Americans.

All of this comes from the Wikipedia Americans page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans#White_and_European_Americans

Latino Americans (mainly Hispanic-Americans) are listed under different category.

ps. Sorry I didn't include the reference in my previous post and causing confusion.

Edited by Sensei

5 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

That's still wrong, even when you add the reference.

Yeah that number is from self identifying. It'll tend to reflect migration waves and preferences more so than genetics.

Most everyone is a mix at this point, so people are either selecting one ancestry out of several or selecting 'American'.

Been fair bit written about 'English' being particularly underrepresented:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Americans#Sense_of_identity

Edited by Endy0816

17 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

Yeah that number is from self identifying.

That's one problem, and is hard to deal with.
This is the easy problem.

On 3/23/2023 at 4:24 PM, John Cuthber said:

The Scots are from Britain and you could have a long argument about the Irish.

On 3/23/2023 at 5:53 AM, Sensei said:

Edited by John Cuthber

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

This is the easy problem.

That's true..

The problem, is you.. Your stupid, primitive method of responding like xyzt's responses in his last days.. If you don't want to spread knowledge, simply don't write posts.. You keep belittling the responses of other members of this forum who wanted to answer the OP's question in the thread (any thread!) instead of answering the OP's questions..

If you want to solve this equation for the real what is the real ancestor, let's go back a few billion years ago to the time of primitive microbes.. and your primitive "It's still wrong even when you add the reference" means you are wrong..

It is impossible to say where single cells originated and then when they became multicellular..

It is impossible to say where inorganic matter became "alive"..

Do you feel like an idiot after what I just wrote?

Change nickname to nitpick.

No surprise nobody ask you for a dinner.

Nobody likes assholes.

Greater Easter is coming, change attitude, maybe somebody really desperate will ask you for your attendance.. Which is very dubious looking how you overall behave..

AFAICS, the OP asked for genetic links between Americans, British and Australians, you should ask ask "for how long?" / "percentage of population" or similar questions.. Instead of them, you started rub against a members of this forum who tried to answer.. Who cares what you write such stuff? OP certainly is not interested in your private wars with every other person on this forum.. he is interested in the answer - you have not gave it..

I can give a definitive answer - everyone in this world is brother and sister.. Satisfied?

ps. Until some third-party alien lands and mixes with you..

ps2. Stop being an asshole, John Cuthbert. Can't you?

Only for Great Easter.

Try it at least once.

Possible or not possible achievement?

Edited by Sensei