Recent equatorial glacier on Mars

Genady

2998.PDF (usra.edu)

54th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference 2023 (LPI Contrib. No. 2806) 2998.pdf

A RELICT GLACIER NEAR MARS’ EQUATOR: EVIDENCE FOR RECENT GLACIATION AND VOLCANISM IN EASTERN NOCTIS LABYRINTHUS

Summary: A light-toned deposit (LTD) in Eastern Noctis Labyrinthus presents distinctive morphologic characteristics of a glacier. Although the glacier is likely relict, the preservation of fine-scale glacial features opens the possibility that H2O ice might still be preserved beneath LTD material. Recent equatorial glaciation, volcanism, and volcano-ice interaction on Mars are implied.

This may be a novel use of the word "recent". I didn't see a reference to how recent but the paper puts it in the Mars' Amazonian period - from about 3 billion years ago to the present, a very wide range. There may be water ice under there but I don't think that helps make Mars colonisation any easier. I suppose it could be a place to look for evidence of (past) life on Mars.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.